What competes with B&W CDM-NT line for HT/music?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gil D, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Which speaker lines work very well in home theater applications and still sound very good with music.

My primary choice is the B&W CDM-NT but I have not auditioned in awhile so I am looking for suggestions before making a commitment. The setup will be 6.1 or 7.1 arrangement.

2. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

Which CDM-NT's are you considering?

3. Mike Main

Mike Main Stunt Coordinator

Well I just got the 7NTs and watched the SuperBowl with them. Couldnt be any happier.

I also checked out NHT, Mirage, Paradigm..

Mike

2 7NT upfront

2 1NT in back

CNT

4. Bruce Berti

Bruce Berti Stunt Coordinator

Gil-

I have the CDM-7nt's with matching center and could NOT be any happier. You may want to consider the 9NT's if you dont have a sub.I have gone through a few sets of speakers including Paradigm, but got disenchanted after going through 3 tweeters in a CC-350 center. The most impressive thing thus far is the reproduction of the center channel.

I use my setup about 75%/25% home theater to regular stereo and am very pleased with both sides of it. Good luck in your quest.

5. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

I've read some good things about Monitor Audio's new Gold Reference line. You might want to check those out. The top of the line Paradigm Studio series is good too and can be had for cheaper than the Monitor Audio's or the B&W CDM NT lines.

Patrick

6. JoelO

JoelO Stunt Coordinator

I just have to add the Swans Diva line sold by AV123.com in to the list. You can find a whole lot more of info about the speakers at AVS Forum. Many people were considering on buying the Nautilus line but they ended up getting the Diva and they don't seem to regret it. I myself have the 2.1's & C3 setup.

Joel

7. itai

itai Stunt Coordinator

gil
    a set if paradigm reference studios will give the cdm-nt's a run for their money anyday.
    i was also impressed with the b&w's, but decided the asking price was too high compared to paradigms.
    i got the 60's mains, cc center (3 drivers), and adp surrounds (diffuesed), and to my taste they beat the cdm set. theyre a bit less forward, and have a smoother sound, as opposed to the british bright character.
    in the same leage theres klipsch reference rf's.
    and like a hundred more...
    [​IMG]

8. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

The B&W CDM-NT would be for a new setup dedicated mostly to theater.

Proposed setups for the front might be:

1) 7nt,cnt

2) 9nt,cnt

3) 3 cnt across the front

The only reason to get the 9nt over the 7nt would be for better mids (ie FST) since I have a sub. The reason to get three cnt's would be for perfect upfront match but suspect stereo would be compromised.

Not sure what to use for rears but initially might be NHT SuperOnes that I have on hand or possibly used B&W 302 or 601 if I stick to B&W.

I like the Paradigm Reference but prefer the B&W. I especially like the B&W center channel having used the CDM-Cse in my current system for some time before changing over to Sonus faber.

Joel,

Comparing Swan Diva's to Nautilus doesn't seem believable to me but then again I have never heard them. I'm reluctant to buy any speaker without ever hearing them, and resale seems questionable.

I suppose JM Lab and maybe Energy should be on my audition list. Any others?

9. JoelO

JoelO Stunt Coordinator

Hei Gil,

I'm not saying that the Diva is better than the Nautilus line. What they say on the review was the Diva 6.1 was about 70-80% of the Nautilus (forgot whether it's the 803 or the 804).

I myself did get a chance to compare the 2.1 w/ the CDM1NT. The B&W has a bit more bass than the 2.1, but I think it's because I've only broken in the 2.1 for around 25hrs. The high were great on both.

I know what you mean by buying speaker w/o even hearing about them first. If you head on to AVS Forum, maybe there're few owners of Diva in MA area that won't mind giving you a demo or two. I know there're few regulars who have their house open for demo, but can't remember whether any of them is in MA area.

Joel

10. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Rajee,

I am leaning to your setup. How well does the CNT match with the 9nt and it's FST? Did you audition the N804 against the 9nt...I would appreciate your thoughts.

Also, do you run the 9nt as large.

11. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

I read a review of the JMLab Cobalt line from HT mag and it rated only a B overall. An earlier review of B&W CDM-nt rated A+ as I recall. One of the highest ratings I have seen from that mag.

Are there any professional reviews of the Swan Diva which pits them against other brands?

12. JoelO

JoelO Stunt Coordinator

Hei Gil,

I thought someone put some links for professional reviews for the Diva over at AVS Forum, but I couldn't find the thread for some reason. I'll some of the guys over there to look into this thread, maybe they can help. Sorry couldn't be much help.

Joel

13. Bruce Berti

Gil-

If you decide to go B&W, and if your local retailer wont discount them, there is a place about 2 hours west of you that offers decent discounts. If I remember correctly they take 20% right off the top on B&W.

14. Mike Main

Mike Main Stunt Coordinator

I went to 2 dealers and one was 20% less than the other.

Obviously the choice was clear.

Also there is some snob appeal with the B&W.

People may recognize the name over Diva and etc.. NOT THAT THIS IS A SOLE REASON TO BUY!!!!!

Like cars if u get a BMW, are there better cars yes or no, but hey its BMW. Or you dont buy generic brand X sneakers you buy Nike. So brand name recognition does influence our buying habits for better or for worse.

Anyway spending this amount of money u wont be disappointed its just a matter or personal preference.

BUT U MUST LISTEN BEFORE U BUY

Mike

15. JoelO

JoelO Stunt Coordinator

Yeah... B&W definitely has some snob appeal to it.. just like BMW for cars...
    Buying speakers is definitely one's preference, nobody can tell you what to buy...
    My preference is always toward the underrated/underdog team/brand/whatever.. brand that people would think less superior that the competitor, or never even heard of.. for instance:
    for car.. if i have the money, I would buy Acura over BMW anyday
    I choose AMD over Intel, ATI over GeForce.
    Call me stupid, but that's just me.. [​IMG]
    That's y I ended up w/ Diva instead of Dynaudio or B&W (Those 3 are the ones I considered the most) and SVS instead of Velodyne.. [​IMG]
    Joel

16. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Bruce,

Email me who your dealer is with that discount.

Thanks,

Gil

17. Bruce Berti

YGM

18. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

I don't know if I should be offended by the two above posts or not? I own a BMW and B&W 600 series all around.[​IMG]
    Tried the Acura, didn't like it (TL/CL type S) just as I auditioned Dynaudio, Acoustic Energy, Energy, Paradigm, M&K and NHT as speaker choices.
    Maybe I am a snob but I know what I like![​IMG]
    Although I agree with you AMD over Intel!

19. SkiingNinja

SkiingNinja Second Unit

20. SkiingNinja

SkiingNinja Second Unit

Oh, AMD all the way... (1.2 AXIA blue copper baby [​IMG]