What companies build loudspeakers to spec (mass production)?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Kenneth Harden, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

I am toying with the idea of starting a business and have been talking with some driver OEM's about various things (looks like some of the driver companies can make me 4 and 8 ohm versions for little or no extra cost, that's hurdle #1)

However, I still need someone to build and finish a box and grill (absolutely NOT feasible to do it myself).

Can anyone tell me of companies (I am going to immediately say S.E. Asia, for what I am doing (low cost), cannot do it in the USA) that will make speakers to spec?

Or, any companies that could make a small, simple speaker enclosure (finished in black vinyl) with a grill? It WOULD be feasible for me to assemble the speakers at my house (if it really got going, I bet I could assemble and test a speaker in 15 minutes, and that would leave me with $20-30/hr. minimum).

I am just doing some economic stuff to figure out the feasibility of this idea, but I need to talk to some companies that build speakers and get an idea of pricing.

Thanks!

2. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I picked up a HTIB with speakers for $49 and they don't sound bad. I don't know how you can compete with things like that.
    Maybe try going after the high end but the low end is pretty low price for decent quality
    Good Luck if you try!

3. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

I would target $750ish for a 5.1 system. They price could go up or down.

Again, I am just looking at the feasibility, getting some prices, that stuff.

What I would do first is build some speakers with some better parts (Dayton drivers, for example), and then try the same thing will less expensive components - I would compare them and then I would have an idea of what was happening.

One thing I would be aiming for would be a compact system, but use fairly rugged drivers that could take a bit of punishment. One thing I don't like about small (not even cheap) speakers is they are very easy to hurt. If you look at M&K's small speakers, you can beat the snot out of them and they don't care (sealed cabinets, proper X-over, proper drivers, etc.)