what comes first when designing enclosier or drivers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Billy Posey, Jul 14, 2001.

1. Billy Posey

Billy Posey Second Unit

Ok I need some help from any the expierienced diy designers out there. What comes first in the design for you guys I have an Idea of what my demensions are and I was hoping to use these free downloads to find what driver to use and etc.
    I am interested in read about how you guys about beginning you designs. For examble I know I want a center channel that can play fairly low in the frequency and front speakers to match. Looks also important, not as important as performance but I hoping to incorperate the looks in to the looks of my dedicated theater. I also have some older book shelf speakers that I want to re vaneer and replace the drivers with new ones, actualy put in drivers the mid/woofers are gone I only have the tweeters. I also want to build my own crossovers to use in these rebuilts speakers. One more questions, how does one decide on how many drivers in one speakers, for examples those with multiple tweeters and multiple woofers. I looking to design a three way speaker. Thanks for any help given.
    ------------------

2. Steve Hanna

Steve Hanna Agent

3. Billy Posey

Billy Posey Second Unit

Thanks for the reply, I could not find any of the recommend books here in kalamazoo, so I had to order one. Since I have to wait until the book comes in I also have to wait to get some of my answers. And sometimes I get impatient and want to know some things now. I used to have a advanced design book about six or seven years ago but I have forgotten a lot of the info, which is easy if don't put the knowledge to use. While looking and hoping to find a book I did find a book called basic speaker design on clearance at radio shack for 2.00. So I bought that book and found some information on the internet. I seem to be remembering some things I at one time learned and gaining new knowledge also. I have also downloaded some shareware and freeware programs, and have been messing around with them. I have many more questions and things to learn. So I will be asking away and hoping to get some help. Once again thanks.
    ------------------

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator