What's new

What combo SVS should I concider? (1 Viewer)

ToddMS

Stunt Coordinator
Ok heres the deal- I currently own a 25-31CS without the ISD. I also have a Samson S700 amp. I am looking to figure out the best (cheapest) way for me to get around 120dB in my dorm room. The room is 12x14 all concrete/cinder-block. With my sub corner loaded right now, I can get around 110dB peaks in the middle of the room. Is this about the level I should be expecting? After this point the sub begins to reach its limits. 110dB is good, I guess...but not quite the stomach churning, eyes blurring dance type feel I am trying to get. When sitting close to the sub, I really love it when it gets around 115-118dB. So what to do to get this in my listening position? Upgrade my 25-31 to the ISD? Upgrade the driver and add another 25-31? Maybe getting a CS+? Is 300w enough for the CS+? I am not worried about getting the ultra low sub 20hz stuff, so the 25-31 is my best bet...its louder too. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. haha btw..sorry about the typo in the thread title.

Todd

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Upgrading to the ISD and adding the second sub should be good for a 8-10dB gain I would estimate.(and at a total cost of...$458+shipping...its pretty cost effective too) Are you using the Radio Shack meter for testing? If you are, remember it has an inherent rolloff down low. Depending on the source material you are using to take max dB readings...you may need to add anywhere from 3 to 8dB to the radioshack meter readings to get an accurate idea of the actual SPLs in the room.

TV

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
Here is a good link to mod your RS SPL meter to handle those low freq's. I haven't done the mod so can't speak to its validity.
Link Removed

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
A typical conversation in Todd's dorm....
"Are we having an earthquake?"
"On, no that's just Todd...he's just having a couple of friends over for a movie!"
:D
E

ToddMS

Stunt Coordinator
OK i already ordered the ISD upgrade. I will prob. go for a second CS sometime later this summer once I got some more dinero. I am starting to get a bit concerned about my room though. I was measuring almost 30dB differences within areas of the room. In the middle of the room, with the sub corner loaded and driver almost bottoming, I can get almost 80dB. Move literally 2 feet in a different direction- over 110dB. I tried to do the trick where you put the sub where you want the most bass, and then move around the room to find where the bass is best, and put the sub there....only problem is the bass sucks almost everywhere if I put the sub in the middle of my 12*14 foot room. Would bass traps help this? Am I insane for even trying this in a dorm room? Its just really odd when someone asks about the sub and I have to tell them where to stand in my room....

Todd

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Hey Todd,
Can I take that SVS driver off your hands? I live pretty close to you in Springfield and I can give you cash and pick it up at your earliest convenience.
You also said you might be interested in getting one of the CS Plus subs. I have a 20-39CS Plus if you want to take a listen. If you like it, maybe you can take if off my hands. I bought it B-Stock for $540 and I was going to return it to get the new CS Ultra. Instead of me returning it to get my money back, maybe you'd be interested in it at the b-stock price? Or I could knock off $40 if you let me have the driver?
Frank
[email protected]

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>OK i already ordered the ISD upgrade. I will prob. go for a second CS sometime later this summer once I got some more dinero. I am starting to get a bit concerned about my room though. I was measuring almost 30dB differences within areas of the room.>> In the middle of the room, with the sub corner loaded and driver almost bottoming, I can get almost 80dB. Move literally 2 feet in a different direction- over 110dB.> I tried to do the trick where you put the sub where you want the most bass, and then move around the room to find where the bass is best, and put the sub there....only problem is the bass sucks almost everywhere if I put the sub in the middle of my 12*14 foot room. Would bass traps help this? Am I insane for even trying this in a dorm room? Its just really odd when someone asks about the sub and I have to tell them where to stand in my room...

ToddMS

Stunt Coordinator
too little bass is not a problem when watching movies, as we sit against a back wall where the bass is good. The main problem is if we try to dance or something, then the center of the room is where we are headed, but the bass is weakest- these dorm rooms have to serve several purposes :)

Todd

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks