what color should I paint my new HT room?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Stuckey, Jul 18, 2001.

1. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

Im thinking of light dark color.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks

2. Kyle-K

Kyle-K Stunt Coordinator

are you asking light or dark?
    If so, definately dark. Your room will be darker and you will have less reflections and/or chances of glare...
    --kyle

3. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

Dark. Maybee tan or a autom color.

4. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Grey is usually a good choice. Check out my HT site for details (I even have the type of paint I used listed at some point.) And the grey does a great job and doesn't look as bad as I thought it would. In fact, everyone who sees it likes it and it is a truly functional color for the application.
    ------------------
    RAF
    [Demented Video Dude since 1997]
    [Computer Maven since 1956]
    ["PITA" since 1942]
    My HT (latest update 02/05/01)

5. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I covered all my walls with a black felt type fabric from 3' up to the ceiling. The walls were origionally painted (forest green), but the fabric worked much better. Along with help in controlling sound reflections it gave a softer look to the room. Worked great.
    Peace Out~ [​IMG]
    ------------------
    The Green Room | Rons DVDs

6. Burke Strickland

Burke Strickland Second Unit

I've really grown fond of the 18% neutral grey (from the Kodak light meter card) wall color in my HT. It does a great job of killing the refelctions during a movie (a real problem with light colors, especially white) and when the lights are up, it is a very becoming background for anything with color. (Your SO will look even more beautiful.) :>) Good color for the ceiling too.
    I have the front wall where the projection screen is mounted painted matte black, and with the grey walls, even that doesn't seem too severe.
    Burke

7. Jens Raethel

Jens Raethel Second Unit

Jens
    I used grey cotton fabric in my theater.
    It turned out really well.
    ------------------
    Go see my new theater CINEMAX! updated 2001-07-10
    Then give me your thoughts!!
    http://cine-max.tripod.com/cinemax/

8. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

Nice,but i have a very small budget with the paint.
    I dont want it black,because the wife has to ok it too.

9. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

I will be painting my HT ceiling black. What type/brand of paint would you recommend. Or does it really matter when it comes to black??

10. Joe McCormick

Joe McCormick Auditioning

I painted my den a slate grey, it almost matches my toshiba 40h80. My wife was very much against it. She said that it was going to make the room even smaller and depressing, so I agreed of course and painted it some sort of mist green(it sucked). Well I decided to show some balls and went and bought what I originally wanted. Half way through painting the first wall I started having second thoughts. Wow, this is really dark, maybe the spousal unit was right. I told her as much and she said and I quote "If this is what you want to make watching tv better than go ahead, you can always paint it again." So i finished. I love it. The grey sets off the white molding nicely and my wife has covered my couch with good fabric to match. She even liked the color so much our bed spread is now grey, it goes well with light yellow.
    In a nut shell grey is a great color, it goes with anything and it really enhances your viewing experiance, We spend 2k on a tv whats 20 bucks for a gallon of paint.
    joe

11. Burke Strickland

Burke Strickland Second Unit

12. Andy_S

Andy_S Second Unit

I'm almost done with my home theater room. Check it out:
    Front
    Back
    Ignore the construction garbage and I still need to put trim up.
    The color is a dark blue-grey that looks really sharp. The carpet is a light grey (looks beige in the pic because of the lighting).
    ------------------
    Check out my home-built mame cabinet here!
    [Edited last by Andy_S on July 19, 2001 at 03:41 PM]

13. Steve_D

Steve_D Second Unit

I was thinking darker green front and back, theater red on the side walls.
    ------------------
    http://www.sdiver.org

14. Tyler

Tyler Stunt Coordinator

Grayish blackish [​IMG]
    It will look like a cinema [​IMG]
    Good luck

15. James Gonzalez

I went with dark burgundy ceiling, Burnt Orange Walls and Gold Drapes. I also used gold trim and moldings. The key to our theater is lighting along with dark colors. When we dim the lights the ceiling and walls almost disappear, and when we have the lights up the room looks warm and inviting.... a must with my wife.
    Hope this helps
    James
    ------------------
    "I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubble gum!"
    Little Bijou

16. ace peterson

ace peterson Second Unit

I painted my ceiling black just a few weeks ago. I used a satin finish black and used the Menard's store brand paint, Lucite. It looks great! It has just a little sheen to it when the window is open, but I don't think it will be too much when I finally get the movies going. By the way, I had to use 2 heavy, heavy coats and then even touch up in spots with a 3rd coat. That was going over a white "popcorn" type ceiling texture.
    I haven't got to it yet, but I think I'll be putting a light grey low-pile carpet on the side walls and a darker blueish-grey color on the floor and front wall. Maybe one day I will have pictures to share.
    AP

17. John H

John H Second Unit

I chose a flat medium slate gray for the walls and ceiling. I went a shade lighter eggshell finish on the doors and trim.
    Well not 18% it works quite well at controlling light.
    John
    ------------------
    Bedroom Epicenter
    [Edited last by John H on July 26, 2001 at 03:17 PM]

18. Howard_A

Howard_A Stunt Coordinator

My HT has black walls, black carpet, and a black ceiling. My wife was apprehensive at the idea but thinks it looks cool now that she sees it.
    You can see pictures here is you like:
    http://www.cinemamaximus.com/PicturesComplete.htm
    (The pictures are dark because all the black areas tend to absorb the light from a flash.)

19. John Hergenrather

I had been following this post closely, as we bought our first house on Friday. The first thing we did after closing was run to Home Depot and buy paint! We chose a light grey for the walls, a dark charcoal grey for the ceiling and a gloss wild cherry for the trim. The ceiling really cuts down on glare. My wife was so awesome - not complaining about the ceiling and pitching in with the painting. I guess she was excited about being in a home now! I'm getting the theater set up and will calibrate it tommorrow. I'm looking forward to no neighbors complaining about my sub. It's a movies kind of weekend coming!!!
    ------------------

20. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

Thanks to everyone that replyed.
    We are going with "cocoa Pecan" (med brown) for the walls and "Bronco Brown " a ( light brown) for the ceilling.
    Thanks to all.