What Coax do I use for my CLD-79?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris PC, Sep 30, 2001.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

OK. Now that I have my SR 6200, I have gotten my stuff organized in my AV stand pretty well. Now I need to hook up my CLD-79 Laserdisc player to output digital. I have a Pioneer RFD-1 Demodulator aswell. So what cables do I need? I think from the looks of things, I need a coax right from the CLD-79 to carry the digital DTS signal. I also need a coax to carry the AC3 DD RF modulated signal to the RF demodulator. Phew. Then I need another cable from the RFD-1 to the receiver? Do I run the DTS signal into the RFD-1 for switching? Or do I just send it straight to the receiver. I know the DTS is not RF, right?
    [Edited last by Chris PC on September 30, 2001 at 08:15 PM]

2. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Not what brand or level of quality, but what actual "type" of cable? I need one cable to go from the RF output of the Laserdisc player to the RF demod and one to go from the DTS digital output of the LD player to the RF demod. I then need one cable to go from the RFD-1 demodulator to the receiver. Right now I am using a combination of different audio RCA cables.
    What type of coax cable should I use for the RF and what type of coax cable should i use for the digital signals?

3. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Does your current configuration work? If so, don't worry about the cables. If you're buying from new then just go for regular 75ohm coax. I doubt very much if you would hear any difference.

4. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Actually, I tested it out. I played a DD AC3 disc and it worked. I then played a DTS disc and it worked. Both surround modes were detected and played back by my receiver. I have a problem though. My CLD-79 LD player has faulty DTS playback. If the player is OFF and I turn it on to use it, I must first insert and play an AC3 DD disc for at least a second (don't need receiver on) and then, and only then can I insert and playback a DTS disc and hear the proper playback. Sometimes my receiver will reflect the lack of signal with a "NO DATA" message, but not always.
    Regardless, any time I turn on the player, I cannot simply playback a DTS disc. I must first play put a dolby digital disc in and play it. At least there is a way to make it work, so to speak. Plus, I guess I could leave the player on 24/7, but thats not what I wanted to do.
    Any hints about getting it fixed? Does it sound serious? Its weird because if it was a faulty switching mechanism, you wouldn't think that playing DD would help it. I don't know.
    [Edited last by Chris PC on October 01, 2001 at 10:22 PM]

5. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Chris, it's difficult to pinpoint just from hearing it here, but it sounds like it could be a switching issue with your demodulator. Not necessarily a fault, maybe just a quirk. I've never used a demod so it's not something I've come across before.

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

7. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I did run the DTS cable directly from the LD to the receiver. That was the first trouble shoot I did. No matter what I do, if I have just turned on the LD player, I MUST PLAY A DD LD before I can play a DTS disc and hear the DTS sound. My receiver has no probs with AC3 DD or DTS from my panasonic DVD player.
    When I bought the player, the seller kinda routed around in some boxes and gave me some cables. One nice cable was a digital TOS-link that I use for my DVD player [​IMG] Problem is now the player has this DTS quirk. I am not quite sure which cables are for the RF and which are the digital coax cables.
    I will experiment further and see. I am not sure if the optical from the LD player works at all. I may take it in to have it looked at, but I'm not sure where.
    Any other suggestions? I might ask the store I deal with if I can borrow some COAX cables which i know are for the RF and for the digital signals.
    Otherwise, the LD player appears to work ok.
    thanks for the help
    [Edited last by Chris PC on October 03, 2001 at 07:16 PM]

8. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

It wont matter which coax cable you use for AC-3 or PCM/DTS. If the cable is in good order, it'll work. You don't need a special one for DTS and another for AC-3.
    The problem with DTS signals - try the same thing but use a regular audio CD instead and see if the receiver locks onto the signal properly.
    [Edited last by Rob Gillespie on October 03, 2001 at 02:45 AM]

9. Michael Reuben

10. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I do not have a DTS CD. Would my Panasonic CV51 DVD player be able to play a DTS CD? I think so. Perhaps I'll break down and buy one DTS CD. Whats the better ones to buy? I heard Santana is good. Will my CLD-79 playback a DTS CD?
    [Edited last by Chris PC on October 03, 2001 at 07:23 PM]

11. Michael Reuben

Anything that can play a regular CD can play a DTS CD. So both your DVD and your LD player should work.
    Steely Dan's Gaucho is an excellent DTS CD, if the music is to your taste.
    M.

12. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I guess I could try that. I don't know how to overcome my problem though. I may see if I can try this LD player on another receiver and try another LD player with my receiver. That is an obvious and usefull trouble shooting test to narrow down which component is responsible for the DTS non-playback. I wonder why playing a DD disc makes DTS playback? It must initialize or activate some circuitry that is otherwise dormant when I first try to playback a DTS disc?

13. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Chris, a regular audio CD.

14. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer