What changes did Spielberg make to Close Encounters and ET?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by rob kilbride, Oct 3, 2001.

1. rob kilbride

rob kilbride Supporting Actor

Rob Kilbride
    Someone in another post mentioned the rumor that the Twin Towers may be removed from AI when it comes out on DVD. Someone else replied that Spielberg had also changed Close Encounters and ET after the fact. Can someone please tell me what these changes are? And does anyone know if their is any truth to the AI rumor?

2. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Close Encounters: In 1977 Spielberg was rushed to make the Christmas debut so he was never able to edit it to his satisfaction, so in 1980 columbia gave him the opportunity to do so with only one caveat - he had to show the interior of the Mother Ship. He did so to get the money to rework it to his satisfaction, but never liked the idea of the mothership interior being shown.
    In 1997 he released the special edition basically with the unintended ending chopped off. That's what's available on DVD (although I think he included scens from both cuts).
    E.T.- it is rumored (and probably true) that for next year's 20th anniversary release he has digitally removed guns from teh hands of agents. But that should be the only change.
    A.I. - Those rumors of changes are undounded, just speculation since the WTC in the future would be inaccurate.

3. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I can understand both perspectives on AI. In the interest of longevity, the movie perhaps ought to be changed. But I also dislike the idea of films being changed from their original theatrical for any reason - so I would hope it would be available as a seemlessly branched Easter Egg. Just because the towers won't be there when the film takes place doesn't mean they shouldn't have been. If that makes any sense.
    I would also posit that editing the WTC out today would lead to having to rework it every time a building pops up over "sea level" in the future.
    ------------------
    Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
    Thank you Sci-Fi channel for Season 6 of Stargate SG-1
    View SpaceDog's DVD Collection

4. Mike Brantley

Mike Brantley Stunt Coordinator

It's also possible the WTC towers will be rebuilt, so they could "exist" in the future as depicted by AI. I'm not saying this will happen or that the WTC will be rebuilt in the same form it previously existed, but it's possible.
    Anyway, it doesn't bother me when reality changes the future as depicted in movies that have already been made. The 2001 of reality doesn't look too much like Kubrick's movie, for example, but that's OK.
    I hope the towers are not eliminated from AI or any other movie in which they currently are shown.
    ------------------
    Mike Brantley
    Our Theater:
    Mike & Cheryl's Screening Room

5. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I say leave 'em in AI.
    Let suppose, for a second, that the Statue of Liberty was one of the targets, and had been destroyed? Should Planet of the Apes be altered? What should Charlton Heston be cursing at instead?
    AI was already in the can, for better or worse. Leave it. By the same token, Leave ET as-it-is in the classic version.
    CE3K's alterations are already history, and being water under the bridge we've already gotten used to dealing with it. But for ET and AI, I would rather not have to see revising to classic films later on. Would you change a frame of The Hidden Fortress or Citizen Kane? No. Neither should modern classics be mucked about with later on, either.
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis

6. Mark E J

Mark E J Second Unit

QUOTE:
    - E.T.- it is rumored (and probably true) that for next year's 20th anniversary release he has digitally removed guns from teh hands of agents. But that should be the only change. -
    Actually it's also said to have several new scenes added in, some new FX, and some re-editing of certain key scenes in addition to changeing the guns to cell phones.
    [​IMG]

7. Ash Williams

Ash Williams Second Unit

They had better leave them in A.I. [​IMG] I mean it's just a movie, I don't understand why some people would get offended by seeing The Twin Towers in a movie(That is the reason for editing isn't it?). Many people did not like the ending to A.I., but I bet they won't change that. Or will they...........
    ------------------
    http://store6.yimg.com/I/htmarket_1648_3201525
    And the book says, "We may be through with the past, but the past is not through with us!" - "Wiz Kid" Donnie Smith

8. AndrewR

AndrewR Stunt Coordinator

I seem to remember that ET's last video release awhile back (the widescreen release with the interviews and audition stuff on it) had a line taken out. Elliot's mom and Older brother are arguing off camera while Elliot and Drew Barrymore are in the bathroom getting ready to go out Trick or Treating.
    The argument was over the older brother's costume. The line deleted (I think) was Elliot's mom saying "You are not going out as a Terrorist" or something to that effect.
    I don't have my tape on me so I can't check right now. But I do recall watching the video and saying "Hey! Where's that line?".
    Then again, I could just be crazy!
    Andrew