What Center Channel to use

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StaceyWoolsey, Nov 6, 2002.

1. StaceyWoolsey

StaceyWoolsey Auditioning

I have Paradigm Studio 100's for the main. Monitor 11's for the rear and Monitor 9's for the sides, I also have PSB 2200 sub. I know that I should use the Reference Studio CC for the center channel, however I can buy the LCR-450 for about $350 less. May I use this for a center channel with this sytem? What are the difference in specs on the two and will it suffice? Thank you.

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Any reason why you wouldn't get an RS CC from Ebay? 3 went for around $350 recently...

3. StaceyWoolsey

StaceyWoolsey Auditioning

I must have missed them on Ebay. That is what I would like to buy, however I can get this LCR-450 for $100 in mint condition. What do you think the difference is in speakers?

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Sounds like a bargain, and the tweeter / crossover seem the same between the 2 on paper. Go for it. If you don't like it, you'd certainly get your money back by selling it.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'm not familiar with the LCR-450 (never heard it), but it sounds like a good deal. Given that it is a few years older, but still Paradigm, it will probably be OK.

There's a brand new V2 Studio CC on Audiogon for $360 right now.

6. Michael_Hml

Michael_Hml Stunt Coordinator

I just picked up one of the units on Augiogon for $360 and it arrived in a new/sealed box. The manual looks like a photocopy so it might be a blem unit, but I couldn't find *anything* wrong with it and the price sure was right.

-Mike

7. David Berry

David Berry Stunt Coordinator

Stacey,

Studio 100's as mains, Monitor 11's for the rear and 9's for the sides? Can I come over to your house? I'll bring the popcorn!

For the difference in price ($360 vs $100 both used) I would still go for the CCv2. Besides the general consensus that the Studio CCv2 is better than the LCR-450 (the older version of the Studio CC), if I had the investment that you have in your current setup, I would think that I "cheaped out" on perhaps the most important speaker in a HT setup.
    I know that this would be a continuous irritant to me until I changed it. How many times has this happened to you?