What's new

What causes the slighly jerky motion I always see in store HDTV displays? (1 Viewer)

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
It's a 4:3 display, though. Can't be too many people still buying those, though at least one candidate can be found in this thread. Of course, that price, I'll take a 60 inch plasma, thank you.

Edit: no HDMI or DVI input? How old is this TV? And 304 LBS? Are they kidding?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've got the 36" Sony Wega, from 2002, the "little" cousin to the 40" XBR. It weighs about 250 lbs, so they're not kidding about the 300 lbs for the 40".

And in contrast to David's posts, this is my last CRT. I'll not go back for future sets. While I like my TV, as I've spent more time with it, I've found large CRTs have their own serious problems. In particular, geometry is poor. Very strong imge distortion (curvature) at the bottom of the set. And modest discoloration in the colors.

And of course, it's "only" 36" 4:3. It was huge when I first bought it, and brought it to my apartment. An amazing upgrade from my previous 10-year old 27" CRT. But it now pales to even a modest 50" CRT-based RPTV.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I'm either going to go with a 50-55 inch TV (don't know what kind yet) or a front projector. But while I've a lot of faithful service from my CRT, it will be retired to another room, eventually, and not be replaced by another 4:3 beast.

redbullet

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave

I agree 100% Direct view CRT's are by far the Best there only short coming is your not gonna get one bigger than 36" , And the person who said they do not have high resolution is incorrect. I have a Samsung HDMI HD CRT that does 1080i better than my Plasma will ever do. DLP will drive a audiophile nuts with the low level hum they put out. Keeps making you think you have a ground loop. You might not notice this in the store but wait till you get one of these in your quite home, it will drive you crazy. Most Plasma's also have screen protection and if you look close the picture shifts ever so often. Some of them do allow you to turn this off but then you run the risk of screen burn.
If I had to do it all over a gain I would go for a LCD for big screen and surely keep my CRT !

Clutch

Agent
Real Name
Anthony
I got lost after about post #5.

My .02¢. I went into Best Buy the other day to stare and dream about the Samsung plasma I am hoping to buy. I noticed the same thing. Glitches, pixelation. I took a step back and looked at the four TVs set up together in a bunch. Same thing happened on every set, every time and at the same time. I took a few more steps back and got a wide view of all the tvs networked in to the same recevier. Be it a plasma by samsung or an LCD by Toshiba or a projection by JoeShmoe, the same glitch/pixelation hit every screen.

In short, I may not a an A/V genius, but splitting the signal from one source to a few dozen TV's can't be good. You;d have to actually take the machine home and calibrate it and see where you can get it and see if maybe what you'll be using it for is gonna be less or more of a problem than what you are seeing or is actually the problem with the TV.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I really just posted that for informational purposes. Honestly, despite its image quality I wouldn't buy it myself for my main movie-watching room no matter how cheaply they priced it. After getting used to, say, 50" images on monitors that cost much less AND don't weigh multiple hundreds of pounds (and that don't project physically into the room nearly four feet) I can't see myself going back.

I *am* still bothered by trying to watch all those older 4:3 TV shows on a 16:9 screen (i.e. sidebars), and I have yet to see a stretch mode that doesn't screw up the image.

As for lack of HDMI this is not a problem for me, because if you've read any of my posts elsewhere in this forum ;) you know how I feel about that effed up connection system.

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
Joseph - I'd like to know how you joined HTF in 1969! Color TV was big then (about 17"?).

I was scanning "Join Date" on posters because I was really interested in the kind of answer I recall we could get here in the "good ole days" of HTF (i.e. the 1990s). In them days, we'd either get a knowledgeable techy answer to a question sometime from someone working in the industry, or wonderfully wry humor by someone who swears the answer to every problem is expensive cables.

I for one am definitely disappointed in the motion distortion and color limitations on most flat-panel ("micro"?) technologies - that is, at least in the day (2003) when I decided to get Sony's KV-34XBR910 - a CRT direct view tube, which, by the way, is a high-definition 34" widescreen display that natively displays 720p and 1080i. It cost $2100.

In 2003, you needed to pay well over $10,000 before the picture on flat-panel technology screens would approach satisfying my eyes. I can tell by some casual browsing of the display rooms these days, that prices have fallen and quality improved. But I still see some motion distortion on most (if not all) non-CRT direct-view models.

Clearly, the disadvantage to the CRT direct-view tube models is size limit & weight. Mine is 34" wide-screen format. However, it cannot be beat at its price for HD image.

This thread is full of opinion. But I am sure there are some facts I'd like to learn about - I recall researching it in 2003 - that explain the motion distortion problem and how newer models propose to overcome it, so people like me, Brian and alphanguy will be happy buying a larger flat format that also looks as good in image quality as the smaller 30" or 34" HD crt direct views.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks