What causes pixelization?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Mazur, Feb 8, 2002.

1. Peter Mazur

Peter Mazur Second Unit

I was watching a disc today and it started to have small pixelization problems. When I backed it up and watched the scene again, it was no longer there. Then about five minutes later it started again. It got so bad that I couldn't watch it anymore. I checked the disc and it was perfectly clean. No cloudy surface either. I was watching on my Toshiba SD-2109, which is almost three years old. I tried playing the disc on my computer, it played fine. So is it a hardware problem? Or do you think the disc is defective?

2. Vic_T

Vic_T Stunt Coordinator

Chances are it is a hardware problem. You've pretty much ruled out the disc by trying it on another player (plus the defect wasn't repeatable on the original player). This could be caused by dirt on the laser lense. If you don't have a DVD laser lense cleaner disc, get one. It could be caused by lousy cache time in your player, but Toshiba usually puts out a pretty good product. I would say to clean the lense.
    [​IMG]

3. Peter Mazur

Peter Mazur Second Unit

Ok, I will try that.

The weird thing is I watched another disc and it played fine.

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Peter,

As my last DVD player got older, it would breakup when it had been on for a while. As it got warm, it seemed to start breaking and pixelating.

It might just be your player getting tired. Again- if I let mine sit for a few minutes and the popped the disc back in, it would usually play fine.

-V

5. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

I second what Vince Maskeeper said
    I have had my own Denon DVD 2500 in for service two times for the exact same problem. Sometimes discs would pixellate, and when I tried it again the next day I could not reproduce the problem,and my second player did not have problems at all. I took it in for service, and both times they said the optical laser pickup had to be replaced. This is a pretty expensive repair, but thankfully it was covered by warranty both times. Now the warranty has expired however and I feel like I am sitting on a ticking bomb...
    ...and I can't wait for it to go off so I will have an excuse to get a DVD audio compatible player [​IMG]

6. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Let me tell ya, the word 'Pixelation' inspires the same kind of reaction in me that that guy had in that episode of 'Abbott and Costello' whenever Costello would say the word 'Niagra Falls'! It sends me into a fit of shell shocked rage!
    I have the infamous Panny A-110, and I make this promise to you all, when I finally get my new player soon, I am going to take that peice of shit A-110 outside, and take that bitch to school with a baseball bat ala 'Office Space', and then, i'm going to rip the optical pick up unit out of it and mount it on my wall like a deers head!