my DVD/Soud system and TV were all plugged into the same
surge protector and none of them powered off

anyways, my TV no longer turns on, and I definately smell
something like burnt plastic coming out of the back

how the hell did this happen?

any ideas?

Tappan

Auditioning
the same thing happened to me on my 53" sony hdtv. did you by any chance notice any discoloration or the look as though it was out of focus? also it is possible that a surge would fry only one thing, even if different things are plugged into the same place. a surge follows the easiest and weakest target. however i don't think your tv was surged because most surge protectors are designed to shut down after they get a surge, so if your surge protector still works your fine. please write back as soon as you can i'm eager to figure this out.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Something shorted out, perhaps a component in the power supply. It was probably a defective component that gave up the ghost.

Another possibility is a power surge killed something, or a CRT arced and burned out a component in the power supply.

Allan

Stunt Coordinator
That exact thing happened to my JVC tv abpout a month ago. Same pop noise and shut down and has not worked since. Anyone have any clue if this is worth fixing? The TV is 4.5 years aold and I already repalced it with a Sony HDTV, but I still have the JVC sitting around waiting to be tossed out...

Allan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks