What Can Out Perform The SVS B4-Plus

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Allen Marshall, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Allen Marshall

Allen Marshall Supporting Actor

Trying to expand my knowledge here, cause if somebody asked me this question i wouldnt be able to give them an answer cause i dont know of any (that's not saying much though). So who can name some, sites would be appreciated to, i'd like to spend some time and gander.

Would that new Velodyne sub, the 1812, be able to out do it?

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I really doubt the 1812 can beat the B4+ for output. The only commercial subs (without going to multiples) I can think of that can beat the SVS for output are bass horns. This will also only be down to the top of the last octave.

One example would be ServoDrive (http://www.servodrive.com)

The Acoustic Visions Everest would also be able to give the B4+ a good run for it's money (with the lower tune and massive displacement it's passive radiators are capable of it would likely out do the B4+ down at the bottom of the last octave). http://www.acoustic-visions.com/~aco..._everest.shtml

Next to those the only other option I can think of is DIY. Here your budget and the space you have available is your only limitation.

The infinite baffle being the most cost effective example.
    http://home.comcast.net/~ttriff//page4IB-Gallery3.html

The first one shown on the above page is capable of almost twice the displacment of a B4 and cost less than half as much. The last one is capable of almost 5x the displacment of a B4 and total cost was less than a B4 with a good amp.

3. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

2 b4-pluses hands down

4. Allen Marshall

Allen Marshall Supporting Actor

what about subs the have in theaters, with the double 18s and what not. Im sure they cant go lower but can they go louder? Can two B4s put at the front of a theater cover the whole room? [​IMG]

5. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

Secret's measured 121db from 30hz and up, outside, with 1 B4+, and at only 2% THD. Take that inside and in most rooms that would jump to 130-135db SPL!

Regarding the Contrabass Servodrive, Mark Seaton (he works there), said a Servodrive is about par with a B4+, with the edge going to the B4+ on transients and the edge going to the Contrabass on sustained passages. I've heard both subs, they both have impressive output capability while still retaining very high sound quality.

6. JimNug

JimNug Auditioning

Servodrive's subs have been designed for the pro/commercial market but have recently found there way into home theaters. Although the venerable Contrabase is a great sub their BDEAP-32 might be the optimal Servodrive offering for a home theater application.

Since the BDEAP-32 is a horn design it is extremely fast and accurate, attributes that many find attractive in mains only to find that their new sub lags noticably behind.

The secret to success with the BDEAP sub is placement and integration.

There is a great thread over at the AVS forum showcasing a home theater installation using 2 BDEAP-32 subs that include detailed numbers for the performance of the system. I think if you do a search on member Thebland you will turn up the thread. I think it is titled "The new leviathan of subwoofers" or something like that.

I have one of the BDEAP32 subs in my system and the performance is quite something.

7. Mark Seaton

Mark Seaton Supporting Actor

Mark Seaton
    Hi Jim,

Good to hear you are enjoying your B-DEAP32.

So far as the B4+, I've posted many times here and on the AVS forum that an Everest or a ContraBass are very worthy comparisons. The ContraBass will almost certainly have the advantage below 20Hz. Somewhere above 25-30Hz, while the ContraBass can handle peaks of 500-2000W, there is a time limit to this of about 15 seconds (plenty for most explosions and such), where the B4+ with its 4 beefy drivers can handle more long term power. The ContraBass also has the unique characteristic of decreasing distortion as level increases which is opposite that of any conventionally driven subwoofer.

So far as the B-DEAP32, realize that in the professional market, it is one of the most powerful and most efficient subwoofers available, especially for its size (which is admittedly not small in the home theater world). Used in a home theater and loaded for lower frequency extension, there are simply no subwoofers I know of which can match it's output and distortion capabilities above say 30Hz. Below there, it is still quite a monster, where a solidly constructed room has allowed us to achieve useful extension to 10-14Hz at the listening position with careful measurement and EQ.

This past weekend "thebland" had a michigan meet at his home which I attended. Unfortunately we were busy playing with settings and optomizing the mains so I didn't get a chance to take any measurements above 100-110dB from the subs.

Cheers,