what can I expect from a DIY sub?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Anthony*B, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Anthony*B

Anthony*B Stunt Coordinator

if made properly & correctly, will an Adire DIY sub (havent decided which one yet) + a PE (maybe) plate amp give me the same sort of "WOW" factor that, say, SVS owners generally seem to get when they first experience their subs? or does SVS have some sort of special features that can't be matched w/ DIY? I love the idea of making/owning a sub that just drops jaws & really makes one "feel" the bass & is still accurate while being able to play fairly low (would love to be able to hit 25-20hz)

also, on a related note, I am unable (because of proper space + WAF) to move my sub to it's "ideal" area in my room...will a powerful enough sub (such as the one I hope to build) be able to "brute force" it's way to sounding good? i now have the popular PE 10" sub & love it, but I fear turning it up really loud (dont wanna fry it [​IMG] to try to get louder...when im in my "ideal" spot (the spot the speakers have been "set up"/calibrated (by ear for now...hope to get an SPL meter soon), the sub sounds pretty good, but I have found it lacks presence in various other areas of the room...will "more power" overcome this somewhat?

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

There is no such thing as brute forcing optimal performance from a sub-optimal room location. One can't change the laws of physics, and those are what determine the performance from any given spot in the room.

A DIY sub tuned to the same specs as a SVS should have similar wow factor......

3. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

My Tempest with the 250w amp had huge wow factor when I fired it up the first time... and it still does. I love when people come over to watch movies and get a look of total shock when the sub hits. And it still sounds great to me too.

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

I'm sure you'll get a good "wow" factor from a DIY sub - provided you utilize adequate components. However, it sounds like you're on the right track with the drivers you're looking at and the 250 watt plate amp. Now, you just have to review cabinet plans and decide on a design.

I've gotten a lot of "wow" factor from my $200 boxes so much to the extent that I'm willing to bet that my boxes could easily compete with $1,200 subs sold at the retail level. [​IMG]

5. Anthony*B

that's exactly what I was wondering...i suppose no one would be doinf DYI if it weren't worth it [​IMG]

shame about the "brute force" thing though....i'll just have to live with where i have the sub now for the time being...

6. Anthony*B

Thomas, I just realized I worded my "brute force" question poorly...I suppose I meant can a more powerful sub "brute force" it's way to higher SPL's? I think the obvious answer would be yes...I'm guessing sound QUALITY would change a bit depending on placement, but hopefully not too much

7. BrianAe

BrianAe Second Unit

Besides SPL, the way that sub placement affects sound quality is the flatness of it's frequency response. In this case, you could luck out and your "less then ideal" location could prove to be ideal. If not, then you always have the option of using an equalizer.

8. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

The geometry of the room is a big factor in determining how flat the in-room response is. EQ can help tame SOME room issues, but having the ability to adjust the placement can have a bigger impact.

Regarding SPL; besides the driver/amp combo, the size of the room and how 'losey' the room itself is, determines absolute output levels.

9. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

Roomz is as roomz does.

10. Bob K

Bob K Stunt Coordinator

Anthony,

I built a Tempest sub and certainly agree that it was "worth it" sonically, but I wanted to mention something else: the sense of accomplishment and pride you feel from creating a truly nice piece of equipment. I love the stunned look on people who hear my sub for the first time (as Owen mentioned below), but I really enjoy the equally amazed looks when I tell people I built it myself (particularly those who know I have two left hands).

Tempest Construction Pix: http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/m...view_album.php

11. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

I have both an SVS and a DIY tempest. SVS has no propriatory tricks or techniques or magic. They simply use quality components, good design and sound construction. You can do the same. The only problem is that the SVS are prices so low that the savings is pretty nominal- in the range of 15-25% for equlivlently appointed subs. So the DIY only makes sense if you like to make things.

12. Sebastian

Sebastian Second Unit

Yeah with the right driver, amp and a good enclosure you can out perform SVS ISD sub and match their plus series. If you are a smart shopper you can save a lot more than 10-15%.
    DIY will always be my first choice but SVS is my second choice if I ever decide to buy a sub retail[​IMG]