What can I do without an AVIA disc?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Belina, Jun 28, 2002.

1. Dan Belina

Dan Belina Agent

Getting my TV today (32FS13) but my AVIA disc won't arrive until next Tuesday according to the online tracking [​IMG]
    Are there any tweaks, fixes, etc.. I can do without the AVIA disc or should I just leave well enough alone until I get the disc?

2. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    If you have any DVDs marked "THX", you'll find a series of calibration screens (called "THX Optimode") that you can use to "eyeball" your new TV until the AVIA arrives (The 2-disc Fight Club and many of the Disney Collector's Series 2-disc sets have the feature). Lacking any disks with Optimode, the absolute *first* thing to do is the reduce the Brightness and Picture (contrast) controls to under 50%. Many sets come in with one or both jacked up to 100% and you don't want to run the set with them set that high!

3. Rick Faldo

Rick Faldo Stunt Coordinator

Peter: Great advice, just finished using the THX optimode with Star Wars DVD. Only problem I had, couldn't differentiate colors, sharpness myself-bad vision or just bad sense of color.
    Rick

4. Michael Gretton

Hey now I have two questions:

Should I invest in Avia disk even though I only have a direct view TV? I thought that was mostly for RPTV? Will it help a hometheater "idiot" or novice set their tv correctly? I just got a Sony 32HS500 and I would like to us AVIa if it is worth the purchase.

Next question:

Should I be concerned with contrast with a direct view set? should I turn it down?

5. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Michael:

The answer is "yes" to both of your questions.

6. Michael Gretton

Thank you! Very helpful. I will make that investment! Any recommendations of where to pick it up at a good price?

7. Dan Belina

Dan Belina Agent

I ordered mine from Amazon...$39.99.
    If you don't mind a used DVD, I think you can find a used one for around $20