What's new

What can I do without an AVIA disc? (1 Viewer)

Dan Belina

Agent
Getting my TV today (32FS13) but my AVIA disc won't arrive until next Tuesday according to the online tracking :frowning:
Are there any tweaks, fixes, etc.. I can do without the AVIA disc or should I just leave well enough alone until I get the disc?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
If you have any DVDs marked "THX", you'll find a series of calibration screens (called "THX Optimode") that you can use to "eyeball" your new TV until the AVIA arrives (The 2-disc Fight Club and many of the Disney Collector's Series 2-disc sets have the feature). Lacking any disks with Optimode, the absolute *first* thing to do is the reduce the Brightness and Picture (contrast) controls to under 50%. Many sets come in with one or both jacked up to 100% and you don't want to run the set with them set that high!

Rick Faldo

Stunt Coordinator
Peter: Great advice, just finished using the THX optimode with Star Wars DVD. Only problem I had, couldn't differentiate colors, sharpness myself-bad vision or just bad sense of color.
Rick

Hey now I have two questions:

Should I invest in Avia disk even though I only have a direct view TV? I thought that was mostly for RPTV? Will it help a hometheater "idiot" or novice set their tv correctly? I just got a Sony 32HS500 and I would like to us AVIa if it is worth the purchase.

Next question:

Should I be concerned with contrast with a direct view set? should I turn it down?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Michael:

The answer is "yes" to both of your questions.

Should I be concerned with contrast with a direct view set? should I turn it down?
Yes. Most sets ship with contrast and/or brightness set at near 100%. A few days/weeks of this setting and you can permanently damage the tube, to say nothing of shortening its life. Many Sony's look good with contrast and brightness hovering in the 30 to 50 range.

By all means, get the Avia disc with your new set!

Dan Belina

Agent
I ordered mine from Amazon...$39.99.
If you don't mind a used DVD, I think you can find a used one for around $20

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks