What can I do with 13x13?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Standefer, Sep 4, 2001.

1. Robert Standefer

Robert Standefer Stunt Coordinator

I am building a new house and it has a dedicated home theater, which is great...except that it's 13x13, a perfect square.
    My question is, what can I do with this room? I'm concerned about the video aspect; I thought maybe a 65" 16x9 TV and two rows of seating (two recliners in front, a couch in the back). There's plenty of space for my MartinLogan setup, so I'm fine there (I can get acoustical treatments and such).
    The room has no windows.
    The builder says I can increase the size to 16x13 for a fee (around $1200). What do you think?
    _Rob

2. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

I would increase it with no second guessing.Sound will be off,there will be hardly any room between the first row and the set.You could almost do a front projection set up in there,that way the tv would not take up as much space.If you can afford the addition...do it!
    ------------------
    My dvd collection
    http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...?alias=cisaacs

3. Robin Smith

Robin Smith Stunt Coordinator

This ones a no brainer in my opinion. If you are serious (or even semi-serious) about having a dedicated home theater pony up the xtra money for the increase in size. First off 13' is small for the depth of your room. If you plan on putting a big TV in there the front row should be roughly 2.5 times the diagonal away from the screen (rough estimate).
    For a 65" screen that is 13.5 feet. For the front row! (Measure to the eyes of the person sitting on the front, so the chairs will be a foot or so closer. The closest I would go to that size screen is 11'. If you are putting an RPTV in there its screen is going to be ~2feet or so away from the wall which only leaves you with 11' to work from, which means the person's head will be roughly 10' from the screen whichi is too close. And if you want a second row of seating... forget about it.
    I don't want to discourage you, but it may even be a tight squeeze at 16', can you go larger? Its going to be essential if you want two rows of seating.
    One option is to go with a front projection with the screen mounted on the wall, then you get the full depth of the room to work with. With 16' and a front proj you could probably squeeze two rows in but in my opinion only just. ANd if the front projector is a 100" diagonal (which is probably about right for most front proj displays it'll still be kinda big from the front row.
    Map it out yourself and break down the space available. Each row of seating will need to take up at least 3 feet of depth to be comfortable.
    Check out the chart in Chapter 2 of the Crutchfield Guide to Home Theater for suggested viewing distances.
    http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...p?I=000HTINSGD
    It will be a shame to invest alot of money on a system only to be frustrated by the viewing distance.
    Good luck.
    Robin Smith

4. SteveDinn

SteveDinn Auditioning

I had a similar question, but I have a 14' x 20' room to play with. I have an *idea* of what I want, but I'm curious what the more experienced members here have to say. Everything is open to change in this room, I'm completely redoing it; from walls, to lighting to carpeting.
    My T.V., a Toshiba 40X81 is centered on one of the end walls with seating being at the other end. There are two windows centered on the wall to the right (when viewing the T.V.) and the door is at the back on the right hand wall. the ceiling is about 8' high.
    Fire away! I'm open to any and all suggestions, and for the purpose of this experiment, let's pretend that price is no object [​IMG]

5. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Robert,
    My dedicated room is 10'x12'.I have two rows of seating and a 46" 16:9 and it works great. Click on my Green room link to visit my site. My front row is 6' from eyes to screen and the back is 9'.
    I would go bigger for only 1200, you'd regret it if you did not, later on. Also, make sure you feed in one or two dedicated electrical lines straight from the breaker box into your room.
    Peace Out~ [​IMG]
    ------------------
    The Green Room | Rons DVDs

6. Robin Smith

Robin Smith Stunt Coordinator

Ron,
    My questions are:
    Do you think that putting a 65" screen in there would be too big, I would guess yes but don't know for sure.
    Which row do you prefer to sit in, the front or the back? Based on the formulas and research I have done, 9.5 feet is ideal for a screen of your size. Obviously research and "expert" opinions don't me doody if it works for you.
    Would you prefer your room to be bigger? I don't mean to be critical, and I am impressed by the look of your room for sure, but I would prefer a bigger room than yours if I were doing two rows of seating. Obviously a smaller room is better than no room - which is what I have now. [​IMG]
    In our new house there is going to be a 13 * 22 space that I will be making into a HT and I am stoked about it as it seems to me to be fairly ideal dimensions for the plans I have for my HT (La-Z-Boys in front and a couch in back).
    Also where did you get the rubber backed felt fabric you used on your wall. How is it mounted? I am intrigued as I have been toying with solutions to the sound control issues I will face when I build my HT.
    Thanks
    Robin

7. Robert Standefer

Robert Standefer Stunt Coordinator

Good news, the builder says he can extend the room to 13x21. It's going to cost and extra $3200 but it's worth it to me.
    Thanks for your help.
    Now, on to projector shopping...
    -Rob

8. Rob Kulp

Rob Kulp Auditioning

At $30.77 a square foot, he's definately treating you right.
    Go for it!
    Rob Kulp

9. Shaun Pressley

The 13x13 room will give you some undesirable room modes, square rooms just do that. That $1200 is very well spent. I wish I could have spent $1200 to gain another 3 feet of length on my 13x16 room. My screen is 92x52.
    Get the additional length if it is an option!
    Oh, I just read that you're going to 13x21! That is awesome. You'll have yourself a very nice HT to work with! Ron-P is right, be sure to get dedicated 20A circuits for your equipment and dedicated circuits for your lights. This is very worth it, as well.
    Now that you have the room, you should go with a nice CRT projector on a nice big screen! [​IMG] I also don't regret doing this, either!
    Good luck.
    Shaun http://www.users.qwest.net/~shaunpressley