What can i do to improve my DVD picture?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jae_P, Nov 30, 2001.

1. Jae_P

Jae_P Extra

I have a Toshiba 50h71 HDTV and a Toshiba sd1700 DVD player. As of right now im not too happy with my DVD picture quality. The monster cables greatly improved the picture but it still seems a little blocky. It just doesnt look smooth. Im currently using an interlaced DVD player but i plan on upgrading that to a progressive scan but from what i heard the interlaced DVD player should still send out a pretty clear picture which im not seeing with mine. Im hoping the progressive scan will eliminate this problem but i also heard that the difference isnt really noticeable from interlaced to progressive. When i watch DVDs i notice that the white letters arent solid looking. They seem to have curvy black lines and dots inside the edge of the letters. When the white letters are on a bright colored background there are black curvy lines and dots on the outside and inside edges of the white letters. Is this normal? Is there something wrong with my TV or DVD player? What can i do to have a more clear and smooth picture? Thanks.

2. Mike_Ped

Mike_Ped Second Unit

Are you using Component? S-Video? RCA?

Is the video going straight to the TV or are you going through the receiver?

Hopefully others can jump in for further help, I can only touch on the most obvious. Sorry

Mike

3. Mike_Ped

Mike_Ped Second Unit

Also, have to ever tried calibrating your system with something like the "Video Essentials" DVD. Usually (at least from my experience) TV's come from the factory with the settings all screwed up. Usually, its the sharpness to blame.

If you don't have Video Essentials...I'd suggest getting it. It's a very good tool to have around.

Mike

4. Jae_P

Jae_P Extra

I am using component with monster cables. Someone told me to give the TV some time to break in. I think it actually worked. I sat down and watched TV for quite some time and the picture seemed like they were getting smoother. This TV is only 3 days old. Ive heard about 2 different brands of the setup disk. Video Essentials and Avia. Which one do you prefer? Also is it worth the money to buy a progressive scan DVD player?

5. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

You are describing something which sounds like the peaking or sharpness control of your television is set too high. This creates artifacts at edge transitions and makes the macro blocks of MPEG compression far too visible. Scan velocity modulation in the television is probably also further exacerbating the artifacts. Turn the sharpness down.
    While you are at it, take a read through http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...a+do+else+what . There is some information about sharpness settings there and you will probably pick up a few other pointers.