what can I do about moderate scratch on protective screen on my Pioneer RPTV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris_Millet, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Chris_Millet

Chris_Millet Extra

I just moved and I got a three inch long scratch/scrape on the protective screen. It is very noticable on certain viewing material so I want to do what I can do get rid of it short of replacing the protective screen($246 + $47 shipping quoted by Pioneer). Any recommendations?

2. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

Try this, I have used it on many glossy things with a lot of success. I've never tried it on a screen, but it should do the trick for you. A lot cheaper than buying a new screen so its worth a try.
    Dean

3. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Some form of microabrasive should work (found in most auto supply's paint areas). You'll need to progress through the grits (starting at 1000 or 1500). Test this out on a corner of the screen first!

4. Bill_Weinreich

Bill_Weinreich Second Unit

Depending on the location and the depth of the scratch, trying to fix it msy be worse than leaving it. If it is a deep scratch/gouge, you would have to "feather" the surrounding area to match, wich may cause an adverse lens effect. Minor scrathes can be cleaned up with some readilly available cleaners. Check a local marine or auto parts store for a clear plastic scratch remover(3M I think) or even a plexiglass cleaner/scratch remover from a hardware store. Stay away from harsh automotive abrasives because you may never get all those scratches out. Finnally check with a glass replacment shop, they may have a way to polish it out there.