What can I do about a "courrpted" hard drive?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Varto, Jan 12, 2002.

1. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

While trying to load Windows XP, I constantly get a message that my C: drive is corrupted and Windows XP cannot be installed. What can I do? I've done scand disk, run Norton disk doctor and defragged? I've reformatted too. Anything else I can try? Is my HD done for?

2. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

Try a low-level format from the BIOS. Alot of times, this can solve wierd "corrupt Hard-Drive" problems. Remember that if you do this, you will have to reformat it again in LBA mode.

3. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

Steven, I cannot seem to find a low level format option in the BIOS on my Asus TUSL2-C mobo. Is there another way to run a low level format? How does a low level format differ from the format command in DOS?

4. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

this would be done from a utility that you would get from the hard disk maunfacturer.

with IBM this is a util called DFT.

5. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

Another option is to create a bootdisk (so that you can boot into DOS) and use the FDISK command. Wipe the partitioning information by deleting all partitions then creating another one. Afterwards, format the drive and then ty reinstalling your OS.

Hope this helps.

6. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Because you reformatted already, I assume you saved your data, or else accepted the loss.

Now, did you do a quick format or an extensive one? A quick format doesn't write most of the blocks anew. It just rebuilds the file structure, which involves a small Master table only.

Cees

7. Mike Dr

Mike Dr Stunt Coordinator

check out a program called "lost and found" i think it's made by symantec but i'm not sure. it can restore most data from corrupted drives. Also, a message saying "corrupted disk" doesnt necessarily mean it's just that.. run something like scandisk or norton disk doctor in its most detailed type of examination .. maybe u just have a couple bad sectors or a corrupted boot sector (sometimes restorable)

8. Rob Varto

Ok,

I did the fdisk thing and eliminated the one partition I had on my c: drive. I now have ONE giant 20GB drive. So then I re-installed Win98 1st edition and had no problems other than it did not recognize my sound card or ethernet card (for which I did not have a driver - no driver means card doesn't work which means I can't get online to get a driver). So I said screw it and threw my Hewlett Packard recovery disk back in. That's where I stand... Win 98 2nd edition loaded back in but this time it's on one giant unpartitioned hard drive. Should I give the XP thing another whirl?

9. Thom B

Thom B Stunt Coordinator

Hey Rob,

I posted a response in Justin's thread, but I'll throw one in here as well, to be sure you catch it.

The corruption of c error could be due to drive overlay software, which isn't terribly common these days, but is worth looking into. Check with your manufacturer to see if overlay software is installed on your system. Try the following steps for install.

1) Reboot the system with the XP disc in the drive.

2) When you get the message in dos "Press any key to boot from CD" do so.

3) Follow the installation instructions.

4) When given the choice between keeping the existing file system or formatting the drive, choose format to NTFS.

5) Continue with the install.

Feel free to email me with any more questions([email protected]), or post here. T

10. Rob Varto

Thanks Thom,

Ill give it a try tonight.

For the record, I don't have to re-format first, do I? Just boot from the XP CD, right?

11. Thom B

Thom B Stunt Coordinator

Correct. Just boot from the cd and it'll give you the option to format during the installation.

T

P.S. If you can get online from another box while you're doing this you can reach me through MSN Messenger. My sign in name is fuzzybutt.

12. Rob Varto

"Fuzzybutt"?
    I don't want to know. [​IMG]
    Anyways, thanks for all the advice. I don't have another cpu available but if it doesn't go down as planned, Ill just post here tomorrow.