What can I add to my 5.1 System

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jay_, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Jay_

Jay_ Auditioning

All I am looking to upgrade my 5.1 system. I have the following equip:

Klipsch reference 7 series system
    B&K 125.5 Amp
    Harman AVR 635

Really looking to raise the DBs and willing to spend another 6-7K

Thanks
    Jay

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Welcome to Home Theater Forum, Jay.

You posted this in the section devoted to Home Theater Builder magazine, which is intended for discussions between our members and the staff of the magazine.

Your post is now in its correct location, A/V Sources (which is where posts about complete systems should go, as well as posts about DVD players, tuners, etc.).

Best of luck.

3. John S

John S Producer

Doubble post still, I replied in Basics without specific product suggestions I migh add. [​IMG]

4. Jay_

Jay_ Auditioning

I am looking for more sound (depth and breadth) the system seems fairluy robust but just not loud enough yet. Can anyone reccomend an amp, other sub, etc?

5. John S

John S Producer

Room size in all three dimensions?

Those are killer speakers, and that system comes with a killer sub.

Add another sub, and add more power. But I will add that I am surprised though, I would of thought what you have would produce 120db sustained in all but the largest most difficult rooms.

Is that your goal? Does your system get pretty compressed when attempting to deliver that sort of DB level? Do you turn it all the way up, and it still just doesn't quite make it even though it is still clean.

We need more data, I mean that is a pretty darn nice system you have there. I would assume the external amp runs your two fronts?

6. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Ditto John S.

7. John S

John S Producer

I just know if/when people dog Klipsch they are not talking about that reference package. That is 100% killer real deal stuff in my book all the way, maybe one of the best complete HT speaker bundles including sub ever.

I wonder if your having some sort of pre-out to power amp in mismatch that is not allowing your external amps to be driven all the way properly, which is more common that one might think in reality.

8. Jay_

Jay_ Auditioning

Maybe I am just going deaf. The B&K amp is a 5 channel pushing 125w pr. The room is about 10X25. The sound does not get compressed its clean I just dont think its that loud. I checked all connections and the pre-outs on the HK 635 are good. Maybe I should just be happy!

9. John S

John S Producer

I think you should invest in a DB meter and see what you are actually running at. Ultra clean audio is deceptively louder than you think.

10. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Replace the multichannel amp with 5 monoblocks, and have an electrician test your home to ensure you're getting all the juice you need. Have him/her run an extra fused outlet if he/she needs to.

I find it hard to believe that your Klipsch's aren't getting loud enough however, your answer to sonic bliss is likely to be in room treatments. Well designed acoustic panels make everything sound better.

11. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Hey Jay,

One of the upgrades I would suggest is a 6.1 or 7.1 Denon AVR-4805 and a Cinenova poweramp.

http://www.earthquakesound.com/cinenova%20grande.htm

http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/products.asp?l=1&c=2

And maybe you might consider checking out dual SVS subwoofers? I would definantly make sure thought that you are getting enough juice to run your equipment. Then I would go from there once I had a definant answer. Are your Klipsch the RF-7 series?

I would also get a db meter like others have suggested to see what your system is putting out. Another sugestion is that you may want to go with live renforcement speakers like Pro JBL cinema style cabinets that have large drivers and compression horns. I personally am running a pair of Altec Lancing Voice Of The Theater A-7's for my L & R channel. I will be adding a custom JBL 18" sub later this year. And will also be adding a custom Dual 10" JBL w/ JBL compression driver for the highs and mids. I think Klipsch is a great product but dont be affraid to change your speakers to get the results you are looking for Jay. I hope everything works out for you, let us know what your solution is.

12. Jay_

Jay_ Auditioning

I actually work for Harman Becker a divsion of Harman intl, so I gt a killer discount on all Harman products (80% off). I will probably get flogged for saying this but I just junked all my Infinity prelude euip for the Klipsch RF-7 series. I think I may try replacing my HK AVR 635 for a B&K AVR 507 which will push a solid 150w pr to each and I will add another RF 15 sub. I will keep you posted.

Jay

13. Jay_

Jay_ Auditioning

The one thing I want to say is I am extremely impressed with the sound quality of the RF-7 system. Even though I am having some "loudness" issues this is probably bar none the best HT I have heard. Even with my discount on Harman prodcut lines for the 5k I spent on the Klipsch system I would get no were near the quality or performance from any of the Harman product lines with that budget.

14. peter m. wilson

peter m. wilson Stunt Coordinator

Hi Jay,
    My feeling (due to the excellent size of your HT)and having helped others with similar issues is than rather than creating higher SPL's in the room, your goal might be more fullness at comfortable SPLs.

My HT is in a Condo Master Bedroom and is only 10'W X 15'D with a double door closet (doors removed) behind the seating.
    To create the fullness that I describe I use a 9 speaker array.
    My processor in an upgraded Denon 5800 THX ULTRA II 170w perch (all channels driven)
    Due to the Denons power I'm able to use small Totem Model 1 Signatures across the front L/R on stands and Sig center on top of a Tosh 65" RPTV 27"D. The L/R are 52" in from the back wall and 20" (to the middle of the tweeter) from the side walls.
    At 82" from the back, there is a pair of Axiom QS4 Dipoles about 20" down from the 96" celing (wall mounted).
    To the left and right of the seating position, I have a pair of Totem Model 1 non sigs.
    The two previously mentioned surrounds are A and B respectivly and repetitions of each other.
    The Denon allows for a set of Effects speakers to handle 6.1 from either Matrixed 5.1 sources or DTS-ES Discrete (the only truly authentic distinct software that I know of)
    On the shelf behind the seated position is a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze B1 bookshelf speakers.
    .1 is handled by a DefTech Super Cube II which goes down to 16Hz

To get back to the fullness I described, this would all be for naught (and in fact could be quite a mess) without two major setup opportunities provided by this Denon and probably your processor as well.
    The 5800/03 allows for speaker distancing from the sweet spot to .1' (changed from 1'). Then using an SPL meter I calibrated each speaker to 75db to the same spot.

The reason I'm describing what may be considered overkill in such a small room is that I can listen to music or watch films at very reasonable SPL's because I'm not asking the sound to come and find me.
    If you do not have a beamed ceiling a pair of dipoles wall mounted may work very well to fill in the gaps but I think an even better idea might be a broad center speaker wall mounted on articulating mounts about 3/4 the way into the room. Also if you have an effects speakers program in the processor, either 2 small bookshelfs or another center speaker mounted behind the listening position would be an excellent way to complete the full theatrical effect in that room as would a judiciously placed second sub.

If you decide to add these speakers on the sides and your concerned about acoustic reverberations, an inexpensive way to tame them would be to buy a couple of 3'X 5' rugs at WalMart (you can always return them) and hang them vertically or horizontally at the spot on each wall where you can see the reflection of the Left and Right front speakers while someone walks a mirror down the wall on each side. Placing a matching one on the back wall might help also.
    Of course if the floor is carpeted and theres lots of absorbtive seating there may be no issues at all.

If you find you have sound issues that are perplexing you local HAA calibrator is a great investment.

Good Luck and have fun,
    Peter M.

15. rob-h

rob-h Second Unit

The RF-7 speakers are ultra efficent and the Hk puts out good power. Something is very wrong if you dont get uncomfortably loud at ref. I have a room thats 12ft x 22ft and listen at 3db down from ref. Most people think thats insanely loud!

16. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

he's only using it as a pre/pro

his b&k puts out even "gooder" power [​IMG]