What's new

What can anyone tell me about B&W speakers (1 Viewer)

Sonny T

Auditioning
Greetings everyone,
I have just purchased a 4 year old house with a basement. I hope to be able to have a dedicated home theater room in the near future. When I purchased the house there were some B&W speakers in various rooms of the house, I don't know much about these speakers and I can't get much information on them. Based on what I have been able to find out it looks like these speakers are from the Solid Series. It looks like I have a PB 100 subwoofer, 4 S100 satellite speakers and 2 of the Solid Monitors. I was thinking of buying 4 Polk 55i's and the Polk 400 center. How do these B&W rank with the Polk's and if I use the B&W for the home theater what center channel should I consider?
BTW I have an Onkyo 595 and a Panasonic 31k after reading this forum.
Thanks in advance

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
What is your budget for 5 speakers + external sub?
Have you tried hooking up these bw's? How do they sound to you?

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
B&W makes great speakers....and they compare favorably with the Polks.
The speaekers you have are older B&W and you may be able to find out some info on them at bwspeakers.com.
That's pretty cool....a bunch of B&W speakers laying around in your new house. You should be able to use them for something. I am a B&W owner, but a green one at that. I've only been using B&W speakers for the past couple of years and I'm not very familiar with the "Solid" speakers.
Check out that web-site and see if you can find out some archived info.
Jeremy

Sonny T

Auditioning
Bob.
I haven't hooked up the B&W speakers to my current home theater (11'X13' room w/ hardwood floors, 61" Toshiba RPTV, Onkyo 595, BOSE Accoustmas 10 speakers, with the B&Wpowered sub)the B&W speakers are mounted on the walls in the family room, bedroom and back deck.(the wife thinks these are hers and balks at me taking them for a home theater) The sub adds a lot of kick to my current home theater speakers. As far as budget, I don't know what I'm willing to spend, I was hoping to get the four Polk 55i's for around $650.00 and the center for about $350.00 and then sell the Bose. I was also planning on incorporating the B&W sub into whatever speaker system I wind up with. Of couse a budget of $0.00 would be great if the B&W's would work. Again, I consider the information I get from this board in making my ht decisions, that's why I plan on letting someone else own my Bose.
[Edited last by Sonny T on October 23, 2001 at 07:48 PM]

Denward

Supporting Actor
Well, the B&W website has no info on the Solid series other than this pdf file .
I have 603s2 fronts, cc6s2 center, LM1 surrounds, ASW1000 sub and I am very happy.
------------------

BobPeck

Agent
I auditioned B&W's for mostly music listening (classical & jazz.) I can tell you there imagery is absolutely stunning. IMHO, nothing like it in this price range. Especially with the one notch above the DM 603's, the CM4's.
The only problem I had was that their bass wasn't quite there for me. I'm nitpicking, but I need my bass perfect for two channel stereo, I need the cello's coming through and still feel it (without the upright bass in jazz being boomy, of course.) I ended up with Paradigm Studio/80's for the front. The imagery isn't quite B&W's, but the bass was perfectly balanced (well, I'll see how they sound in my house when they get here in two weeks!)
B&W's are excellent speakers.
In a HT environment (ie, with a sub) they should be excellent.

Jay_E

Stunt Coordinator
I am using the S100's for my surround speakers, the PB100 subwoofer, B&W 601's for mains, and the CC6 for the center. I am extremely pleased with this setup. I would definitely use the existing PB100 sub and the S100's for your surrounds. You could get a CC6S2 for the center or spend a bit more to get the LCR6S2. You probably should upgrade your mains to 601S2s or 602S2s. With these changes you will have a great speaker system. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck.
Jay

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
I have seven B&W speakers in my home, 5 for the home theater plus a dedicated two-channel system. I highly recommend any B&W speaker. Quality construction, quality sound. You may like the Polks, though, and that's great. If your wife wants the B&Ws for the multi-room sound system, let her have them. It will pay dividends in the future! Just get rid of the Bose.

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator
How do they compare against Polks? More like how to Polks compare to B&Ws. In my opinion B&Ws are some of the finest speakers made. I have no reservations in saying that at every price point that make a speaker which is better than anything at that price point. I am also %100 biased. Needless to say, you have inheirited a great set of speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks