What calibration software would be recommended for a Mitsu WS-65813?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Travis Hedger, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

Hi all...I take the dive into Home Theater finally after all these years on Sept 25th.

I will be getting the Mitsu WS-65813 and would like to know the recommended software for calibrating this set. I have never purchased this type of software as for the last 8 or so years I only had a 27 inch screen so geometry and such was never an issue for me for such a small size.

Thanks in advance. I really look forward to watching the Star Wars trilogy on this bad boy.

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Avia or Video Essentials are the most popular with Sound & Vision being a close, less expensive, third. Can be gotten on the net or in better stocked DVD stores.

3. Travis Hedger

I found DVE for about $16 bucks.

I can't wait of my set to arrive. I have finally joined the HDTV club.

4. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Having recently bought a Mits I can give you a few tips.

First adjust your 9 pt and your 56 point convergence but be ready to redo those in about a week. They drift just slightly. Then after that I have not had to adjust mine at all.

Next you will have to make adjustments in every setting you use meaning in every input as they are not globally set.

I turned SVM off.

As far as the rest, if you want those, let me know and I'll tell you what my settings are. I'm using a 55413.

Also removing the protective screen made a massive difference on my picture quality(For the better).

5. Travis Hedger

I hear over at AVS that removing the screen really does help quite a bit and I will consider it after watching a few dozen movies first though, I gotta get my progressive scan on! [​IMG]

What is SVM and what is the advantage or disabling it?

6. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Scan Velocity Modulation - It is a method used to increase apparent sharpness by increasing/decreasing the number of electrons going to certain phosphor dots on the CRT. It does this by slowing down the horizontal scan when traversing from very dark to very light portions of the picture (and vice versa). By slowing down the scan, more electrons are fired into these light to dark areas than is normal. This is useful to simulate a "sharper" display in smaller sets by producing an artificial "hard edge" around objects and text. A smaller screen often benefits from this because the resolution of smaller TV's is not sufficient to render a distinct transition on small objects or text. Unfortunately, it serves no purpose in larger sets and the "hard edge" often degrades the picture by adding info that is not really there, similar to setting the "sharpness" control too high. It is especially detrimental in HD sets, which have all the resolution necessary to render anything you want and thus have no need for "hard edges".

7. RichG

RichG Agent

Trust me on this. Have your set professionally calibrated.
    It is well worth the investment. I tried setting everything up myself using digital video essentials; however the improvement in picture quality was nowhere near what I achieved by getting it done professionally. In addition to the grey scale calibration, I had a mechanical focus adjustment and had the area around the guns lined with duvetyne. This resulted in a much sharper picture, with excellent black levels, and a much more 3 dimensional image.

8. RichG

RichG Agent

It is well worth the investment. I tried setting everything up myself using digital video essentials; however the improvement in picture quality was nowhere near what I achieved by getting it done professionally. In addition to the grey scale calibration, I had a mechanical focus adjustment and had the area around the guns lined with duvetyne. This resulted in a much sharper picture, with excellent black levels, and a much more 3 dimensional image.

9. RichG

RichG Agent

10. Travis Hedger

Oh I plan on a professional calibration a few months down the line after things have settled. I would think it would be a crime to have such a nice set and not get the absolute most out of it. Supposedly Audio Midwest about a half mile from my house does ISF Calibration and they sell Mitsu's so I will give them a call after my burn in period.

Jeff, can you tell me how to turn off the SVM? Is it in the service code somewhere?

11. RichG

RichG Agent

One caution about calibrations. I attempted to get my Pioneer 510HD calibrated by the dealer and after two visits, the picture ended up green. I had to have a Pioneer Tech come out to reset the factory settings. The morale of the story. There are many people out there performing calibrations, but only a handful know how to do it correctly. After learning my lesson, I did the research and found one of the best in the country about two hours from me. The great part is the price was about the same as I paid (prior to getting a refund) as the other guy who screwed up my set.

12. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    I'm not Jeff, but I'll try to answer this. SVM on the 411 series in just a regular setting along with brightness and contrast. You have to change it for each input also.

-Robert

13. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I would find out if someone in that area has used them before. I'm considering having mine done by "Cheezmo" from Dallas and I think he(Steve Martin) has done several sets in OKC. I don't trust the guys here in Tulsa.

You might want to check on this site:
    http://www.hdtvok.com and see if anyone has used them.