What's new

What cables to use for DVD-Audio? (1 Viewer)

Kevin_Cas

Agent
I have a reciever and DVD player that are capable of 5.1 analog input/outputs(4 surrounds, 1 center, 1 sub) I am just unsure of what types of interconnects to use since they are not color coded. Thanks. Any brand reccomendations will also be welcome.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There is no color coding for multi-channel analog, AFAIK.

What other interconnects are you using now? And how much are you willing to spend? Analog interconnects range from your basic cables for $20-$30 to very expensive "boutique" cables for hundreds of dollars. THAT will determine what you will want to look at for cables.

I would recommend Acoustic Research interconnects as a starting point.

Kevin_Cas

Agent
Ive had good experiences with AR. So I just buy the ones that are red and white? Or are there one that are specially designed for "analog"? I wonder if I would be able to get all 6 in one package.

Iver

Second Unit
Hardware stores sell audio cables for less than most electronics stores.

You just need a cable called an "audio" cable with a pair of RCA plugs (usually one red, one white) at each end. You will need three of these for a six-channel analog connection.

I recently purchased a brand called Trisonic, $2.99 for a three-foot cable, and it works fine.

Chain stores like K-Mart sell "name" brand cables, such as Magnavox or Recoton, for a little bit more than hardware stores, but far less than places like Circuit City or specialty audio retailers.

You can spend more. It certainly will not have any detrimental effect on your audio quality.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I do have a clarifying question....perhaps overlooked by the other answers, but are you talking about DVD-Audio? or Audio coming off your dvd player? That is confusing. If you are talking about DVD-A, then you are looking at a nicer sound source, and if you have a top-end setup, you might want to get a little bit more than just "gimme cables" from a hardware store. I always feel that cables are pushed a little hard in stores, and exaggerated for their importance, but if you ARE using DVD-A and want top-notch performance, a hundred bucks might be reasonable for some simple, yet professional and great cables. If you are just talking about the audio coming off your DVD player, then by all means use just one digital cable. I kinda rambled, but my main drive was wondering if you are in fact talking about DVD-A. I get questions about "dvd audio" that are just about the audio from DVD video, and people confuse me even though they don't mean to :)

Kevin_Cas

Agent
Sorry, I was speaking of DVD-Audio. I don't have a "top-end" setup(just a Toshiba SD5700, a Kenwood VR-6060 reciever, and a JBL NSP-1 speakers), so I'll probably go with either Monster or Acoustic Research interconnects(unless anyone has specific suggestions/web links to better cables?). Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks