What's new

What cables to run to future proof your home? (1 Viewer)

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I tend to remember either reading on here, or in a usenet newsgroup a post/link that someone gave that had a list of different cables, and how many of each, you should run through your home when it's being built to "future proof" it. Does anyone else remember this? Especially the link/article/post?
------------------
Kyle³
------------------
Yahoo Messenger - digitalkyle

Anthony Lobo

Agent
Hi Kyle,
For any homes we do, we recommend running CEBUS (2 Cat5E, 2 Quad-Shielded RG6). We also recommend running CAT5E for all of your phone lines.
For now we do not recommend fiber optic because of the lack of standards that are around.
Instead to future proof your home we would recommend running plastic conduit from your basement to your home so in the future if a future wire standard becomes available you'll be able to pull it through the conduit.
I would also recommend running CAT5E where your light switches are such as a master bedroom, kitchen, family room, etc. in case you want to run an automation system such as AMX.
Anthony

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Firewire... or IEEE-1394, or iLink, which ever you want to call it, this will likely be the databus for digital A/V equipment. Now, You might be able to use cat5e for this, but DO NOT quote me on this.
As is, it will be nice to be able to plug a IEEE-1394 bus device in anywhere in the house and stream data to another IEEE device elsewhere.
My house is wire with cat5e, and "cable" (sorry although I use the stuff nearly daily my mind just will not pull the category name for the cable), I wish I had been able to put 1394 in at the time.

Anthony Lobo

Agent
Hi Lance,
1394 still has some major hurdles to climb before it even begins to be seen as a viable option.
Although the concept of it is an excellent idea: ie-plug and play I'm afraid it will be a long wait for all of us before it becomes an everyday thing.
One of the major hurdles it has to overcome is the length that the cable can be run before a booster must be installed to amplify the signal over long distances.
Anthony
P.S. Like you said the best option to this day is to run CAT5E and quad-shielded RG6 coaxial cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks