What's new

What cables do i need for my system? (1 Viewer)

JackCarter

Auditioning
I'm about to buy a new setup but i dont know what cables and how much i need??

i'll be getting 2 bookshelf speakers, a sub, cd player, and a receiver.. pretty basic.

the setup will be in a relatively small room.

whatcha yall think?

Scott_G

Second Unit
Welcome to HTF !

We will need a little more information to tell you exactly what cables you will need, but here is a start.

Depending on the type of sub, you will run the speaker wires from the reciever to the sub - then to the speakers, or run a sub-out RCA to the sub. I prefer the RCA sub out.

Get a single RCA cable longer than you need - you might want to try moving the sub around later.

The two bookshelf speakers require speaker cables to each.

You can go to radio shack and pick up some cheap to decent cable there. Home Depot has good wire also. You can spend big buck on cable. I'd suggest at least 16 gauge. 14-12 are better. Get enough to leave a little slack. Some claim they need to be the exact same length.

You will need an interconnect cable for the CD player to the reciever. This is a cable with two RCA combined.

If it was me. I'd go down to RadioShack and get everything there for this setup. I'm guessing 5-15 for the interconnect, same for the sub cable, and 10-25 for the speakers. So say between 20-50 at Radioshack.

You will need to figure out how reciever talks to the Sub and Speakers. This will tell you what cables you need.

JackCarter

Auditioning

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks