What cable to use for dolby digital?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alex_Hutton, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Alex_Hutton

Alex_Hutton Extra

I heard it was fine to use a standard RCA cable which i did and it seems to be correct.

I just want to make sure i wont cause any damage using such a cable for this.

Thanks

-Alex

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

No damage, no. But I wonder if you will get the full 'bandwidth' that a digital signal needs. I'm not sure about the facts, someone will come along and clarify.

- CM

3. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

i took a set of AR performance series audio cables and pulled them apart. i use one for digital coax (works fine for me) and one for my sub.

4. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfer
    Yep...as long as it's a 75 ohm (yellow ended video cable) You will get a full fledged digital signal, no worries.

Plus it will save you money as well!

Alfer

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Alex,

BUt make sure you are coming out of the digital connection on the player into a digital connection on the receiver. Some people get confused because the jacks are the same as the analog ones.

You can use an RCA cable without issue-- as long as your DVD player has a digital output on RCA jack and the receiver has a matching digital input.

-V