What's new

What Bryston Amps for my Paradigms? (1 Viewer)

Rod#S

Grip
Real Name
Rod
I have decided to purchase Bryston amps (all new SST models) for my Paradigm Reference Studio speakers and I was wondering what the best match will be.

My speakers consist of a pair of Studio 100s, a Studio CC, a pair of Studio 60s and a pair of Studio ADPs. All are version 2 models. My original thought was to buy 2 9B SST models, one with 5 channels and the other with 2 channels. I recently changed my mind and I am now looking to get the 4B SST to power the Studio 100s and use a 9B SST for the remaining speakers.

Is there any real need for more power in the center and 4 surrounds than what the 9B SST can provide. I understand it is rather under rated in power and each channel generally tops out over 150+ watts.

Another option I guess would be a 6B SST for the Studio 100s and Studio CC and possibly a 4 channel version of the 9B SST.

Any thoughts?

GordonL

Supporting Actor
Your decision to go with the 9Bs all around or another configuration will depend on the efficiency of your speakers and your room size, assuming you want to achieve reference levels of 105db peak at the listening position. Use this SPL calculator to figure out how much power you need.

See if you can make do with 9Bs all around, otherwise, a 6B for the fronts and a 9B for the surrounds is probably preferable to the 4B for the mains and 9B for the rest because the fronts get the most workout.

John-Tompkins

Second Unit
I dont have paradigms or the sst version brystons. I did however have the lexicon 312 (3 channel version of the 3bst exactly) rated at 120 x 3 but the spec sheet that came with it said 158 x 3 @ 8 ohms. It was powering 3 NHT M5 speakers rated at 87 sensitivity, so there kinda hard to drive. What I found was that I NEVER got the L/R channel to clip in ht or two channel, but the funny thing was that the center channel during intense movies scenes would occasionaly clip..Short story long is the center channel imo takes AT LEAST as much power as the l/r and most likely MORE.

Jeff Kleinberg

Stunt Coordinator
Rod,
I have the same speaker setup as you sans the studio 60's, and am using a Bryston 9BST. I can tell the performance is outstanding. I have never wanted for power or dynamics. I think the power requirements of the studio 100's is over stated. 150 watts per channel is fine. Which is where the 9bst measures, with plenty of available current, and when you factor in the servo 15 more than enough. Of course everyone always wants bigger, better and louder. If money is no object get what is going to make you happy, otherwise your ears will be very happy with a 9bst or SST.

Jeff

Levesque

Supporting Actor
I have Studio-100, Studio-40 Studio-CC and Studio-20 for back centers. I use a Rotel RMB-1095 (5X200W) for the surrounds and center, and a Bryston 4BSST (2X350W) for my Studio-100. Go for the 4BSST! My Studio-100 are singing with that kind of power.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks