What's new

What brings foreigners to the HTF? (1 Viewer)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
if you don't understand a colloquial use of english, just ask! Nobody will think badly of you; in fact, there's a fairly steady stream of enquiries about British and American linguistic usage and other customs. I think I speak for all of us who take part in saying that we enjoy doing it.
does this mean I should start introducing everyone to the dubious "joys" of Singlish (Singaporean-English)? :D
if I start using it liberally, save for the few other Singaporeans (and probably Malaysians too) I'm sure you all catch no ball... ;)

TheoGB

Screenwriter
"American nuisances": Please describe. Would that be, among other things, threads about baseball and such? Curious.
Hang on, shouldn't that be "nuances"? American Nuisances would surely refer to something far more irritating.
And yeah, it's mostly things in After Hours about sports or whatever that are hard to understand. However, you also get the use of acronyms and abbreviations that have to be explained, e.g. 'SKU' :D

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I still call 24 beers a 'case' but I know people who call it a 'slab'. Just depends where you are I guess.

As for Durex, Honestly I have no idea.

We don't have any Australian moderators as far as I'm aware...
There doesn't even seem to be many Australian members that actually use the HTF frequently come to think of it.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Really? I thought there were only the 'continents' of: Europe, Asia, Africa, Austalasia, Antarctica, North/south America. If NZ's not part of Australasia then what is it part of? I'm genuinely intrigued...

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
I'd be curious to know just how much "Hollywood" skews the foreign views of America (to those who have never visited, of course). Judging by the number of cops involved in movies and TV shows, you might think that 40% of the population works in law enforcement. ;)

Larry Price

Stunt Coordinator
And if theyre not in law enforcement, they're all young and single , have low paying acting/waiter/waitress jobs but can afford large apartments in Manhattan.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Judging by the number of cops involved in movies and TV shows, you might think that 40% of the population works in law enforcement.
Last I heard, NYC had a police force of about 40,000+ for a city of 7,000,000+ (metro) so 1 in 175. Hmmm?

I joined solely because of the HT content and nothing more. Since then, I've learned a lot and shared a lot.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
New Zealand, Adam, New Zealand. Please tell me I haven't lost all your respect! :) (Now, are there any other administrators I can insult today? :))

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
And if theyre not in law enforcement, they're all young and single , have low paying acting/waiter/waitress jobs but can afford large apartments in Manhattan.
...and are all good looking and have sex with every other person they meet.

--
Holadem

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Now this is one of the most educating threads on the HTF!!!

I'll have to remember that a case is only 12 beers in Oz - just in case I need to go there and get stupidly drunk.

Theo: Armoured rugby? I like that - it's much more intimidating than the word football...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks