What's new

What brand of wiper blade do you use? (1 Viewer)

Jonathon Tillman

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

I was just curious because I have been using the bosch micro edge wiper blades on a 2001 highlander that spends most of the time out of the garage. I have to change them periodically because it starts to streak (which it claims it does't). Even when new it streaks in some spots, I guess it's just the rubber.

I liked Bosch for awhile but then saw michelin in target and I figure I might want to give it a try.

Anco
Wipe N Dry
PIAA
and a dozen others

Thanks
Jonathon

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
The cheaper the better, that way when you change them you dont care that they cost so much....

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
I put Bosch on our Sienna and have not been overly impressed.... However, I do use RainX which seems to considerably lengthen the lifespan of all wipers. Give it a try !

Todd_B

Second Unit
I'll second the Rain X recommendation.

I just use their washer fluid and not worry about using my wipers ;)

Todd B

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
DO NOT USE RAIN X on your windshield. This is why blades streak. basically RAIN X is wax.

The best blades that last the longest are silicone ones. Chances are you will not find them in run of the mill auto stores but worth to hunt down

I use PIAA (http://www.piaa.com/WiperBlades/silicone.html) ones myself $20 a piece but they should last for a few years easily are very quiet and do not streak at all. Very clean wipe.

Also there is another company that makes silicone wipers
http://www.silblade.com

Try them they are amazing.

Mike Wilk

Stunt Coordinator
I also recommend RainX which comes as a fluid to be applied periodically and as an additive for the washer bottle. I also keep a squirt bottle of the additive mixed with water for in-between cleaning. I've had blades lasting a year or more that will fall apart before they streak. However, I believe you should regularly clean the windows with a glass cleaner and re-apply the fluid for best results.

YMMV

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
The shop I had taken my car to put on Bosch and they worked great for about two months. I think the edge is so fine that it breaks down too fast. The best ones I have found are the Trico Exact Fit. They have worked very well for me and are relatively inexpensive.
I have also tried the $18.00 Anaco "teflon areo spaceshuttle tile" ones and they didn't do so well.
When I'm at the gas pump and I clean my windows I'll use a wet paper towel and wipe the egde of the blade. This really helps as grime can really build up and degrade performance. (don't forget the headlights too)
If it gets too bad though, I'll send my kid out the sunroof with windex and have him clean it while I drive and tell him where he's missed.

MikeSerrano

Second Unit
Interesting thread.

I usually just get the cheapo refills. They last between 4-6 months without streaking and at a few bucks a pop are a hell of a value. I suspect the reason my wipers last longer than most people I know is that I keep my car very clean (and there is little time for crud to build up and break down the rubber).

YMMV.

-Mike

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised at the complaints towards the bosch blades. i've been using them for years and never had a problem with them. You don't even have to activate the new ones with the little alcohol pad anymore....

I use the rainx washer spray too, they use a lot of spray on the roads here during the winter, and it cakes up on your windsheild pretty bad, the rainx cuts it nicely.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I am currently using some PIAA silicone blades on both my trucks and they work great.... BUT, the trick to ANY blade working well is keeping the windshield clean..... which is best done by using a good glass polishing product about every 6 months and then using a glass cleaner in between.... Personally, I use Zaino Clear View glass polish and Stoners glass cleaner....... much better than putting a chemical like rainx on your glass.......

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i bought some rubber blades that also had the alcohol pad. but i don't get it. doesn't alcohol *dry* out rubber???

DaveJJ

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Jonathon, my experience with windshield wipers is to stick with the manufactures wipers. In your case, it would be Toyota wiper blades. I have a Toyota sedan that is 14 years old. I've only had to replace my blades twice in 14 years. Good luck!

DaveJJ

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

I dunno. I think it's mainly to clear up the graphite they come coated with, it may not even be alcohol, I'm not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks