What's new

What brand of TV did you purchase when you embraced 4K UHD? (1 Viewer)

What brand of TV did you purchase when you embraced 4K UHD?

• Sony

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • Samsung

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • LG

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • Vizio

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Sharp

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • TCL

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Hisense

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
With the smaller frames now, a 55” set doesn’t look as large as they once did.

My parents are contemplating upgrading their living room TV, which is an ancient 32” Sony LCD, and I keep telling them that they can basically go to 40” in the same physical space and that it won’t be much more than a grocery bill.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
With the smaller frames now, a 55” set doesn’t look as large as they once did.

My parents are contemplating upgrading their living room TV, which is an ancient 32” Sony LCD, and I keep telling them that they can basically go to 40” in the same physical space and that it won’t be much more than a grocery bill.
True. The 27" computer monitor I got a couple years ago is the same physical size as the 24" from a few years earlier.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It seems 40” is the new 24” for TVs. There’s nothing high end below 40”, and 55” is the new 36” so to say in terms of buying a high end TV.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I got the TCL 55” in December and if I could do it over, I would have gone 65”. There wasn’t that much of a difference in price. Oh well, too late now.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
It seems 40” is the new 24” for TVs. There’s nothing high end below 40”, and 55” is the new 36” so to say in terms of buying a high end TV.
75" is the new 55" for the, "whoa, that's friggin' huge!" factor. I remember when I first got my 55" TV, it seemed like it was the biggest TV most people had seen. Everyone who saw it would comment on how huge it was.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm kind of re-thinking my position about those cheaper displays and seriously looking at the LG OLED55C8P display. I love the picture quality of LG's OLEDs.
Well, I did it! I bought my second LG OLED for my home. It's the OLED55C9P display. Also, bought a new Marantz 6013 receiver along with the following new TV stand as I really needed a TV stand that will allow better access and a less cluttered look. I'm going to hang the LG on that rack.

https://www.whalenfurniture.com/category/entertainment/group/tv-stands/54-3-in-1-tv-stand-bbxl54nv

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’ve always been way too cautious when purchasing new electronics, and too careless when purchasing new VHS/DVD/BD/Digital. If I have one regret in all my years as a collector, one thing I’d do over, I wish I would have spent less on stuff to watch and more on what I watch it on. I figured that out much too late.

May you enjoy your new set for many years to come :)

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
We all are different! From my perspective, I could never be without a TV in the bedroom. It's where I watch much my sports and late night streaming from, without having to do downstairs to my main HT or to my office across the hall. I'm an insomniac and a natural night owl so I need a TV in my bedroom.
Well now that I have that shiny new Vizio P759 Quantum on the Main Home Theater, I’ve had to delay upgrading the bedroom setup currently built around a Vizio M50 UHD 4K, circa 2015. Plans are still set for a Vizio P55 UHD Upgrade later this year. Our MBR is big enough for a 65 but I kinda like the 55 in that space.
The M50 moves to a wall mount in the den. I did consider the nice new Vizio M series Quantum for the MBR but I really like the 120Hz native refresh rate of the P series.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I’ve always been way too cautious when purchasing new electronics, and too careless when purchasing new VHS/DVD/BD/Digital. If I have one regret in all my years as a collector, one thing I’d do over, I wish I would have spent less on stuff to watch and more on what I watch it on. I figured that out much too late.

May you enjoy your new set for many years to come :)
Actually Josh, buying future media is part of my plan. I'm going to reduce my spending in that area as I don't watch enough of my film library as is.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Actually Josh, buying future media is part of my plan. I'm going to reduce my spending in that area as I don't watch enough of my film library as is.
I find that I keep going back to about twenty or thirty favorites and letting hundreds of other fine films just sit there.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
While I can. Unlike you young bucks, I might as well enjoy what I can while I'm still here to enjoy it.:) The sunset of life is always around the corner when you get to a certain age.
I've had a brother and the friend of a friend die within a few months of each other, both at 71. Since I'm just a few years younger than that, it makes one really size up the here and now and start realizing that the end could be nearer than we think despite good health we may be enjoying right this minute.

Reactions: PMF

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I find that I keep going back to about twenty or thirty favorites and letting hundreds of other fine films just sit there.

I've noticed I do the same too. For the past few years I've actively fought against that tendency, and HTF has helped with that by giving me an outlet to write about films new to me, which provided some extra incentive to keep sampling new things... between Cary Grant in 2016, blind buys in 2017, and official reviews since 2018, I've seen so much stuff that was new to me in the past three years and spent almost no time revisiting favorites.

This year, I've been allowing myself to just go wherever the mood takes me. I've also had less free time, making a movie I've seen before and can be interrupted or watched in the background a better choice than something that needs my undivided attention. And it's been delightful revisiting the old favorites.

I've been especially blown away at just how good my TCL 4K set makes all of my old stuff look - Blu-rays look gorgeous but even DVD looks better than it has any right to.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Wait...

People have 65" TVs in their bedroom? Are there mirrors on the ceiling too?
On that magic day when I get my 4K display, people will be bound to say, "Hey, PMF, you should see that smile on your face". So, my guess is that the only way to achieve this feat would be to do just that; install those mirrors.:)

Last edited:

English Invader

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon
While I can. Unlike you young bucks, I might as well enjoy what I can while I'm still here to enjoy it.:) The sunset of life is always around the corner when you get to a certain age.

I attended my grandfather's funeral yesterday. He was 91 and his heart just suddenly stopped working; prior to that, he was of full sound mind, living independently (with a little support from friends and family) and I honestly thought that he had at least another five years left in him. I'm a month shy of my 38th birthday and I know how fortunate I am to have only just lost all four grandparents.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I owe my first widescreen, LCD television to his hand-me-down and I can't even begin to describe how much of a loss he's going to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation239
Recent bookmarks