What's new

UHD What Bluray or 4K titles with Dolby Atmos or DTS UHD Audio would you like to see 2015 (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
It has just got more interesting with DTS making there anouncement regarding there version of Dolby Atmos and with the upcoming 4K UHD bluray format coming before Christmas this year! The specs should be finalized Spring of this year and it will be interesting to see all the new product with Dolby Atmos and DTS X decoding and what new models will have HDCP 2.2 which should be most of the models by summer time or fall of 2015 IMHO.

http://www.dts.com/corporate/press-releases/2014/12/dtsx---raising-the-bar-in-immersive-sound.aspx

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=14923
THE EXPENDABLES 2’ IS FIRST BLU-RAY™ TITLE TO FEATURE A DTS NEO:X™ OPTIMIZED SOUNDTRACK
http://www.dts.com/corporate/press-releases/2012/11/the-expendables-2-first-blu-ray-to-feature-dts-neo-x.aspx

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Ok here is my list of movies I would like to see on UHD Blu-ray at the beginning of the UHD Blu-ray release.

Life Of Pi

Lord Of The Rings Trilogy

The Hobbit

Lawrence Of Arabia

The Wizard Of Oz

The Last Emperor

House Of Flying Daggers

Sunshine

Elizabeth: The Golden Age

Constantine

V For Vendetta

Thor

Ben Hur

Braveheart

Gladiator

Jaws

Saving Private Ryan

It's A Wonderful Life

A Tree Grows In Brooklyn

The Innocences

Singing In The Rain

Skyfall

Tombstone

The Abyss

Hero

Stargate

White Christmas

Citizen Kane

Resident Evil

Sound Of Music

Star Wars - Original Theatrical

Unforgiven

My Fair Lady

Mrs Doubtfire

28 Days Later

Poltergeist

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
28 Days Later seems like a particularly odd choice, given that - aside from the final scene - it was shot in SD PAL. And a few of the other films on that list...

Life of Pi

The Hobbit

Thor

...are locked to 2K DIs. Skyfall is limited to 2.8K, due to the fact that it was shot on an earlier model Arri Alexa. I suppose they could all benefit from expanded colour and dynamic range, though.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Why would people pay a higher price to own bad films in 4k and or Atmos?

Presuming that original stems on older films survive, what is the proprietary of changing someone else's work without there input or permission?

Why would people wish to own older films in 4k, if they were never meant to be seen in 4k, and to present them in that manner would necessitate creating a 4k scan and then massaging out the grain to make it appear as it did upon original release?

Neither 4k, nor Atmos, were meant as methodologies via which classic, or just plain old films, are meant to be viewed.

Those who complain about, for example, the Disney animated classics, would be aghast if there was an attempt to offer them in 4k scans from the original elements. They would look horrible, unless major image processing was performed, to lower resolution.

4k is not nirvana.

Atmos can be wonderful, if part of the original audio design, or if updated by knowledgeable people from original elements.

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's no different than what they've done with certain titles and 3-D. I don't mind it as long as how the film was originally meant to be seen is readily available to the general pubic.

I don't think 4K nor Atmos is the cure all for classic films from the past. I think the studios are better off focusing on making better films with improved writing, acting and direction going forward with these technical advancements.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I agree that there are some movies that because of other issues and how they where filmed will not be good candidates for 4K uhd blu-ray or 4K playback. I also agree that Atmos and or DTS-X will not work for every movie. But I feel there are a number of movies that can still benafit and should get 4K transfers and maybe mostly newer movies will get most of the 4K transfers but I think it should be done. I also think we have to think about technology and if we have gotten to the point where we can not do much more regarding resolution. 4K / UHD is as far as I want to go and this will be my good enough format as far as buying movies. Not only should studios focus on making movies but we need better wider color gamuts and higher picture bit rates. The next revolution in displays may end up involving no display panel at all. Where will it go from there and how long will it take for broadcasters to adopt 4K/UHD? At some point I have to back off the upgrade train and and do more than upgrade equipment and repurchase movies over and over. Would be nice to go to Hawaii or even go to Switzerland or Germany and get to see other countries and cultures. How many here will go beyond 4K/UHD and how many consider 4K/UHD to be there finish line? I am looking to have the capability of Dolby Atmos and DTS-X but it will be certain movies namely newer movies that where mixed to take advantage of the new format. And it will be there just incase the content needs the hardware to play it back because for a majority of movies DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby True HD will be more than enough IMHO.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Bring on UHD Blu-ray. I will buy it.

Don't see much value in going back to older releases and remixing their audio for Atmos though. Just be sure to mix everything in Atmos going forward.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Dave Moritz said:
How many here will go beyond 4K/UHD and how many consider 4K/UHD to be there finish line?

I'm already there with blu-ray. My primary interest is in films made prior to 1990, and I think we'll see very few of those on any new format, and I suspect the improvements will be incremental for those few that do get released.

Thinking beyond 4K is really putting the cart before the horse at this point. There's almost nothing that's ever been produced that could take advantage of such a format.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
IMHO there is nothing much that could use anything beyond 4K unless it was actually shot in for example 8K but can the human eye even take in 8K? But I do not think any film would benefit from anything beyond 4K to be honest.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Worth said:
Thinking beyond 4K is really putting the cart before the horse at this point. There's almost nothing that's ever been produced that could take advantage of such a format.

The entire push behind 4K (and beyond) has nothing to do with any actual benefits anyway, and everything to do with trying to lift flagging hardware sales. So the reality is that once 4K becomes standard, the hardware manufacturers will then find some other aspect of video and/or audio quality to improve and then tout as the next big thing. Whether it's further improvements in color reproduction, motion processing or some entirely new gimmick, they won't rest until they find something tantalizing enough to make previous hardware standards obsolete. In other words, it's not necessarily going to be a simple linear progression of resolution (4K to 8K).

There is no finishing line. More importantly, you don't really have a choice - once your current equipment dies, your only purchasing option is hardware based on whatever new standard is cooked up. Like it or not, if we live long enough, all of us are going to have to transition to 4K, then whatever else lies beyond that, simply because most current hardware will only last 5 years on average before developing a critical fault.

However, just because we're forcibly transitioned to new spec hardware, doesn't mean we'll all adopt the new spec software. Blu-ray proved that conclusively: everyone moved to 1080p TVs but few moved to 1080p discs, and eventually, most adopted DVD or 720p-1080p streaming and download instead due to lower cost and greater convenience.

Worth said:
I'm already there with blu-ray. My primary interest is in films made prior to 1990, and I think we'll see very few of those on any new format, and I suspect the improvements will be incremental for those few that do get released.

That's my exact mindset right now too, but if we're talking about the finishing line for the masses, then it's entirely possible that it will eventually lie at 4K streaming/download - equal to or slightly better than Blu-ray, cheap, convenient and will look great on the smaller 4K screens (=

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
My plan is to upgrade to 4K/UHD from source to display as my main goal eventually is to add a 4K/UHD projector with a 120 - 140" screen so for me I feel it will be worth it.

View attachment 8845

Was just looking at an article saying that The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies is supposed to be out in March but I am wondering if this title would be one of the first out of the gate for UHD Bluray? Am wondering if I should spend some of my rare made money on this title only to buy it over again on UHD Blu-ray? I am so tired and over double dipping so just the thought of buying anymore titles twice or the third time is bumming me out. I know I want it in 3D so we shall see what ends up happening.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Dave Moritz said:
Was just looking at an article saying that The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies is supposed to be out in March but I am wondering if this title would be one of the first out of the gate for UHD Bluray?

The Hobbit films were all finished at 2K.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
What where the Hobbit movies shot it though where they 2K productions all the way through? Or did they shoot in 4K and down res them to 2K? If they where done in 2K I wonder if we will see some uhd blurays come out with 2K versions when full 4K is not available via digital sources or film stock. If there is to be no UHD versions even 1/2 res UHD versions I will get the 3D/2D release of Battle Of The Five Armies and be happy with that. I am just looking at my upgrade plan because my end point is to have a 4K projector down the road at some point with a 120" - 140" screen.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
They were shot on 5K Red cameras, but all post work was done at 2K. I don't believe there are any 4K 3D productions yet.

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
Well it seems Universal is showing signs of moving in the right direction with the Breakfast Club's 30th Anniv Edition from a 4K master and now an upcoming 20th Anniv Edition of Apollo 13 (not confirmed to be from a 4K master but it stands to reason it will be).

Now if only The Thing will get the same treatment. I'll be patient.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
At the end of this week I will have $400 put aside for a uhd blu-ray player so by the time the players actually hit retail shelves I will have the money to walk in and pay cash. The left over money will get used towards a new receiver with 4K switching and the new audio decoding. After that I will get the speakers for the overhead channels then plan out upgrading my center channel and surround channels. So hopefully uhd players will be in store in about 8 months, I hope.

Edit:

Before buying I will get a demo and find out what uhd tv's are not compatible and make sure I can update my one connect on my UHD TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks