What's new

UHD What Bluray or 4K titles with Dolby Atmos or DTS UHD Audio would you like to see 2015 (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Not an actual cover but I can not wait to see movies in 4K!

battle-los-angeles-4Kblu-ray-cover-22.jpg

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Michel_Hafner said:
Unfortunately new movies are with few exceptions mastered in 2K, not 4K. Often because of special effects work being used a lot and producing them in 4K is considered too expensive.
It also takes very long to finish a movie with 4k CGI - it is ironic that in days past we had upconversions (70mm Blow-Ups from 35mm) and now we have lots of downconversions (mostly between 2.8k to 5k capture downconverted to 2k DCP).

As long as CGI cannot be finished in 4k I would propose to upscale everything that is not natively captured in 4k to that resolution. The end result will be better than to dumb down higher resolutions to 2k. Everybody who is thinking that this is not looking as homogenous is free to downrez everything to 2k or HD when showing the movie.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
It will also be interesting to see if we get some classic movies on 4K bluray especially since for example 20th Century Fox has done 4K digital restorations to a 1961 movie "The Innocents" and a 1945 movie "A Tree Grows In Brooklyn". This tells me that if 20th Century Fox is willing to do 4K restorations to these two classic movies that there is a very good chance of blockbuster titles getting a 4K restoration and there for possibly being released on 4K bluray. This IMHO could mean other studios could end up releasing there titles on 4K bluray after doing a full 4K restoration. Nothing is for sure but I choose to have a positive outlook on this upcoming format.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
As a rule the bigger studios go the 4 to 8k route these days when (re-)digitizing catalog titles.
This will result in more potential 4k releases than many people realize.

I have posted this before but this is a good list for a number of studios:
http://www.parkcircus.com/films/collections/558_4k_digital_cinema
It has not the Warner films on it by the way that previously have been with MGM, like Ben Hur or Dr. Zhivago.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
OliverK said:
As a rule the bigger studios go the 4 to 8k route these days when (re-)digitizing catalog titles.
As a rule, studios tend to also not be very interested in catalog releases on regular Blu-ray, so why they would bother with 4K Blu-ray, which is guaranteed to have an even smaller market share in the future? I'm not really into false optimism and ignoring established trends. 4K digital download/streaming is where this is more likely to lead.

The only hope for 4K Blu-ray fans is if smaller distributors find it worth releasing catalog on 4K Blu-ray. And if small distributors like Twilight Time struggle to sell 3,000 Blu-rays of most classics on established 2K Blu, which has had almost 9 years now to build its presence, what are the sales figures for catalog on 4K Blu going to be?

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
As I've said elswhere, here in the UK I think Blu Ray has stalled. When you get a really prestigious BBC series 'The Honorable Woman' only released on DVD (because 'the retailers would not support a Blu Ray release' - that's the reply I got back from the BBC) then I don't see how Atmos or 4K is going to make any inroads.

I also agree that the downloading of high image/sound quality content is unrealistic for most people's broadband connection, so I think that will be another barrier too.

The bottom line is that many people 'cannot see a difference' between HD and ordinary resolution and they are only concerned about being 'sucked in to the story' rather than enjoying the physical quality of the presentation.

Sorry, it's a whinge, but to end on a more positive note, I can see that if '4K and Atmos ready' TVs were pushed by retailers and that 4K broadcasts began, then the masses might be persuaded if their favourite TV shows were noticeably improved... 'Strictly come dancing' anyone?
Not me!

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Persianimmortal said:
As a rule, studios tend to also not be very interested in catalog releases on regular Blu-ray, so why they would bother with 4K Blu-ray, which is guaranteed to have an even smaller market share in the future? I'm not really into false optimism and ignoring established trends. 4K digital download/streaming is where this is more likely to lead.

The only hope for 4K Blu-ray fans is if smaller distributors find it worth releasing catalog on 4K Blu-ray. And if small distributors like Twilight Time struggle to sell 3,000 Blu-rays of most classics on established 2K Blu, which has had almost 9 years now to build its presence, what are the sales figures for catalog on 4K Blu going to be?
As you can see I wrote 4k releases not 4k Blu-rays.

So yes, these might be released as a streaming or downloading solution, who knows as of today? I also wrote potential as I wanted to point out that these could be released as soon as a suitable format is available coupled with the willingness of some entity to bring them to the market.

When and in what form that actually happens remains to be seen but it is not forbidden to be positive about these things instead of being all doom and gloom.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
OliverK said:
When and in what form that actually happens remains to be seen but it is not forbidden to be positive about these things instead of being all doom and gloom.
Of course there's nothing wrong with being positive, but it's always better to be realistic rather than just wishfully positive :)

I don't see the 4K future as doomy or gloomy, mainly because I can picture a future where 4K streaming will be more than enough for the masses, and provide them with close to, or better than, existing Blu-ray quality.

Meanwhile, for the niche market that values premium quality and wants the greater security of local ownership/offline access, that's where 4K digital download will be suitable. Easily surpassing Blu-ray quality, downloadable so that someone on an average connection can schedule their local device to download a movie overnight, store a few dozen of your favorites on a local drive at any one time, and swap them out from your large online library of titles whenever you want.

Much as it's hard for us to imagine a future without physical disc, it will happen. The example I've used in the past is gaming, whereby a few years PC gamers (including me) swore black and blue they'd never trust or buy pure digital games with no physical box, disc or manual. Now almost every gamer owns the majority of their games in online-only form (i.e. on Steam, Origin or Uplay accounts), and downloads and stores several games locally as required.

So ultimately I picture a (positive!) future consisting of a mix-n-match library of Blu-ray discs and 4K digital-only titles - the Blu-rays mainly being classics that don't get a true 4K makeover, the 4K digitals being high-profile classics and new releases in downloadable or streamed form as desired. 4K Blu-ray will have a limited run and die quietly. It's not something to fear, because no-one's going to take away the existing Blu-rays you own. At the rate we're going now, most catalog titles will have been released on Blu within the next couple of years, so physical disc holdouts will be catered for in reasonably good quality.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
OliverK said:
That's done more for archival purposes and to create a single master that can be used across all platforms and formats - digital cinema, blu-ray and DVD, television sales, streaming and download, and yes, possibly 4K.

But it doesn't mean the studios are in any rush to release anything on 4K disc, nor does it necessarily make such a release any more likely.

Catalogue blu-rays struggle to sell more than a few thousand copies. How many are 4K discs likely to sell? A few hundred?

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Worth said:
But it doesn't mean the studios are in any rush to release anything on 4K disc, nor does it necessarily make such a release any more likely.
Well, I wrote potential 4k releases, that is all.

And I would say that indeed the availability of 4k data makes a release more likely as most of the money needed for a 4k release has already been spent in such a case. Or to put it another way: With everything else being equal if you have two titles considered for release and only one already has been prepared in 4k I am sure that the one already available will get released IF the studio wants to make any money with that release.

moovtune

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
As far as catalog titles not selling particularly well, I think I represent an avid collector and have bought many catalog titles - but only ones that the studios have bothered to restore and clean up properly. There are lots of catalog titles I would have bought if they had bothered to actually do something with them rather than just scan whatever fairly okay element they had in the vault and let it go out like that. If eveything could get the "Ben-Hur", "Lawrence of Arabia", "Casablanca" and "The Robe" kind of treatment, I'd be buying many more catalog titles. I don't see things changing if 4K becomes a reality release format on disc. It still comes down to money spending to do the job right. A 4K scan of a fairly okay element won't entice me to buy.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
OliverK said:

I have posted this before but this is a good list for a number of studios:
http://www.parkcircus.com/films/collections/558_4k_digital_cinema
It has not the Warner films on it by the way that previously have been with MGM, like Ben Hur or Dr. Zhivago.
4K versions of "Psycho" and "A Place in the Sun" ?? I can find no confirmation for this elsewhere.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Dolby Atmos may or may not end up being successful and if I only end up with a handful of titles that is fine. The main reason I can live with that is that one of the main reasons I am upgrading my Elite SC-05 is to upgrade to 4K switching in the receiver and the models I am looking at will have Atmos anyway so it is not a big deal for me. Physical media still offers the best quality play back format and maybe someday streaming will catch up when higher bandwidths are being used in the average home. And how many people will be ok with only being able to store 8-12 4K movies before they have to delete movies in order to download more titles to watch. You can not have a library of movies when you can only store a very small amount of movies and I see no value in that. And streaming movies and having a movie cover giff on a screen is not a real movie library when you do not have a physical copy of the movie IMHO. I get a bettrer quailty picture with less compression on a physical disc, I get superior audio via lossless audio when it is available and I do not have to rely on a streaming service that could fail or a internet connection. So if one was to loose there job and no money for internet then you loose access to all your content. Then there is the possibility that the streaming service goes out of business and there goes all the money you spent on a virtual library that you can no longer access. I realize that the model is being pushed that was but it doesn't make it a real value to consumers, it just means that the collection of discs doesn't end up taking up room in your home. It also means that there are more ways for hackers to get digital copies of movies to illegally circulate after they have hacked one of these streaming services. If you like streaming or downloading that is great but for those who want a physical copy they need to keep that available. Maybe taking retail stores and distribution out of the chain is what is needed to make physical media more profitable? Maybe what studios could do is have an agreement where people can order a physical disc straight from the studio and your order goes to the duplication company that only makes physical copies for the number of people ordering instead of flooding a distribution chain with a outrageous number of copies that many times ether sit in a warehouse or retail store. It might take a little longer to get that movie that way but why is it that we need everything that moment? Society has gotten very spoiled and wants everything now at a moments notice so would there really be a draw back to wait a few days or so in order to get a physical copy vs being forced into streaming? And another problem with streaming is what if a legal issue comes up because of a lawsuit and that title gets taken down from a streaming service? With the physical copy you can still watch it while the streaming service or download service would have to block access to that title till the court case was dealt with.

We still have over a year till 4K bluray players and physical media hits the retail shelves and it may start out slow but if the format is to grow and be successful studios will have to be on board and offer enough titles to attract consumers and peak there interest. 4K video is about as far as I see the general public going and equipment manufactures and studios need to keep this format going for the foreseeable future and sure there can be streaming and downloads but they should always keep physical media in the mix IMHO.

I am adding a movie I just saw for the first time from a 4K digital restoration to my must have and I while it was put out on a criterion bluray I wouldn't mind having this title on a 4K disc, the 1961 title The Innocents. I feel that there are alot of classic titles that could benafit from a 4K digital restoration and in return that would make them available for duplication onto a 4K disc. Like I have said before 4K is as far as I want to go so my home theater upgrades are aimed at a full 4K chain from source to display and eventually owning a 4K projector and a 120" and up projection screen. And I see 4 K offering the ultimate 3D exsperience as I would think it could offer dual 2K images that would be far superior to what they are doing with 1080p 3D.

So what movies would you like to see offered in 4K resolution when the physical discs start arriving in the 4th quarter of 2015? Would you also like there to be a Dolby Atmos or a DTS equivilant depending on what audio format the studio us supporting? Or are you happy as long as there is a standard lossless track available.

4K title wishlist:
New adition to my list: The Innocents (lossless audio mono track is fine for this title)
The Avengers: Age Of Ultron
X Men: The Days Of Future Past
Jurassic World
Fast And Furious 7
Mad Max: Fury Road
Poltergiest (2015)
Terminator: Genisys
23 Title Box Set - 007 James Bond Ultimate Box Set in 4K (Do not see that happening for a few more years)
Stand alone 4K release of 007 Skyfall
American Graffiti
Original Theatrical Cut: Star Wars: A New Hope
Raiders Of The Lost Ark
Mrs Doubtfire
Lord Of The Rings Trilogy
Oblivion
Driving Mrs Daisy
Wizard Of Oz
Gone With The Wind
Terminator Series

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Worth said:
That's done more for archival purposes and to create a single master that can be used across all platforms and formats - digital cinema, blu-ray and DVD, television sales, streaming and download, and yes, possibly 4K. But it doesn't mean the studios are in any rush to release anything on 4K disc, nor does it necessarily make such a release any more likely. Catalogue blu-rays struggle to sell more than a few thousand copies. How many are 4K discs likely to sell? A few hundred?
I suppose if the cost is low more would be swayed to upgrade.On the other hand the sales numbers are a great point too.It will be interesting to watch all of this play out.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I can not wait to see what the actual discs look like and the prices of not only the players but the media in 4K.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
http://hothardware.com/news/we-dont-need-no-stinkin-4k-lg-says-theyre-bringing-the-8k-love

As we wait for 4K content I believe LG is trying to undermine the success of the 4K UHD format in a effort to push 8K even though there is no delivery system that can support 8K. I will be glad when we finally see 4K UHD players in retail stores and broadcasters offering 4K content! The general public will not support 8K video and will not buy enough to make content providers want to produce 8K content. It is beyond what technology can handle right now and it is something that should not be thought about for at least another 14 - 18 years from now. IMHO 4K will be the holly grail and very few people will even be able to reach the limits of 4K UHD in there homes as far as screen size goes. I have said that I do not want LG product in my home theater and if LG pushes 8K now I will ban any LG product from my home.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
The content is scanned at 4K and down converted and your right the special effects are done in the 2K realm. But most studios are scanning and creating a 4K master then down res to 2K and 1080p for bluray then the delete the 4K master. Sony is said to be creating the 4K masters and keeping them even though they might also down res for 2K and 1080p. Sony seems be looking at the fact they will need 4K masters to use for 4K bluray towards the end of next year. One question I think some here would love to know is how many newer 4K titles will get Dolby Atmos and when will we see DTS version of Atmos on bluray and upcoming 4K bluray?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I will be buying 4K player and a 4K switching receiver with other features but not every movie will be in 4K as I will still buy content in 1080p especially if the 4K content is alot more expensive. For me this is the last upgrade and while 1080p looks good 4K will be that format that will be more than good enough especially since my plan is to get a 4K projector later on down the road!
View attachment 8845

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/high-def/bda-updates-blu-ray-4k-timeline-34108

BDA update

I am wondering if there will be two different bluray bundles when 4K UHD bluarys arrive? Will we see on bundle with Bluray 1080p + DVD + Digital Copy with the adition of 3D 1080p when available then the other configuration being 4K UHD +Bluray + Digial Copy? Or will we see the bluray movies just the way they are with 4K HD blurays in a separate package done to separate itself from the 1080p version on the shelf? Will they combine 4K UHD and 1080p bluray in the same package and raise prices but by offering both allowing customers to have an existing 4K UHD library for when they decide to get a 4K UHD display and player? It is about a year away and it sounds like specs will be finalized spring of 2015 so when will we see what the packaging will look like and what we can expect for players and what those might look like. It will happen soon enough but when you are looking forward to something it is not always easy to wait, rofl.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks