What benefits will I hear from bi-wiring my speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris PC, Oct 12, 2001.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I have PSB Image 6T's and a Marantz SR 6200. I could bi-wire them, but they are not bi-wired right now. Since its only a case of adding some speaker wire, I will try it out. What benefits will I see if I bi-wire my speakers. The benefits I could see are reduced resistance and perhaps improvement due to the different way the power gets to the drivers, but I think thats not necessarily true.
    Any experience?

2. John A. Gordon

John A. Gordon Stunt Coordinator

JohnG
    What you will notice is less money in your wallet. As for sound, nada.

3. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
  4. Vince Chan

Vince Chan Stunt Coordinator

Biwiring may be a waste of time, but do consider replacing the metal jumpers between the connectors on your speakers with decent generic 12ga wire.
    ------------------
    http://www.arcticcircle.ca/about.htm

5. Bryan Acevedo

Bryan Acevedo Second Unit

I am no expert, but here is something I read over at the Klipsch forum a while back.
    The engineers at Klipsch (the guys who actually design the speakers) don't really believe in bi-wiring actually making a difference. To me, that says a lot when the designer of something doesn't think a tweak is going to make a difference. They understand this stuff a whole lot better than I do.
    Anyway, they said that the only reason that the new Klipsch Reference series speakers are bi-wirable, is because of the marketing dept. They demanded it, because the competition sold it, so they needed it to keep up.
    So there you have it - some of these speakers only have it because other speaker manufacturers have it. Some of them have it for bi-amping - which I could definitely see making a difference (either good or bad)!
    So I have no idea what you would hear as a difference, but I thought I would share this tid bit with you.
    I haven't tried bi-wiring my Klipsch Reference series, mostly because of the PITA factor, and the doubt that I will hear enough of a difference (if at all) to warrant the extra work and money involved.
    But please post your findings on if there was a difference or not. I am truly interested in knowing what your results were.
    Bryan

6. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Well, I am not of the camp that even believes in expensive speaker wire, so it wouldn't cost much to bi-wire. I would mainly think I'd notice the difference in resistance, if anything. I appreciate the input from those who think it does nothing. I will perhaps do a little testing. I don't think my speaker wire is expensive. I have some extra speaker wire around that I could try though. My speaker wire right now is 12 gauge. I think the extra stuff I have is 12 or 10 gauge wire, perhaps I could use it for the low end.
    I like the idea of using speaker wire between the posts though. The thin metal thing isn't exactly the greatest. Again, I can't say I will notice a difference, but since my tests will be free [​IMG] , I will give them a try.
    [Edited last by Chris PC on October 12, 2001 at 08:53 PM]
    [Edited last by Chris PC on October 12, 2001 at 08:55 PM]