What basketball game to get for PS2?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam C., Feb 14, 2003.

1. Adam C.

Adam C. Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking to get a basketball game for the PS2. Most likely an NBA game. What is the best basketball game right now for PS2?

2. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Adam: What exactly are you looking for in a basketball game? Arcade style? Hardcore sim style? something in between?

If your tastes lean heavily towards arcade, I'd suggest NBA Street. It's now in the Greatest Hits category, so you can pick it up for $20. If you're interested in more up-to-date gameplay, you can hold off for Volume 2, which will be out in May, but for full price.

If youre tastes lean half-and-half, you can try NBA Live 2003. It's supposed to be really good, but I've heard that the gameplay is a little arcadey (which seems to be par for the course on EA games).

I've heard that NBA 2K3 is a bit better at the sim side of things than EA's offering, and its online compatible too.

Any of those should be quite enjoyable.

Reviews:
    NBA 2K3 --
    Gamespot
    IGN

NBA Live 2003 --
    Gamespot
    IGN

NBA Street --
    Gamespot
    IGN

NBA Street Volume 2 Preview --
    IGN

3. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

Today I got a chance to play NBA Live 2003 (Xbox version) for the first time. I was very impressed with the game. If you are looking for a hardcore basketball simulation, it probably isn't for you. But the speed and fun factor of the game play were top notch! I have had a blast playing it and am considering it as my next Xbox purchase (I currently have it as a two day rental). I haven't had this much fun playing a basketball game since NBA Live 95 and NBA Jam on the Sega Genesis [​IMG].

4. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

hmm...for ps2, it's between nba 2k3 and nba live 2003. Out of those two(i own both), NBA 2k3 is the superior product. Both are flawed though. Live is thrilling at first, but when the novelty wears thin you won't get anything out of it. The players run like they are on speed, while it makes the game interesting, after a while playing the AI it will be tiresome.(the ai is rubber band). blocks and the rest of the game is out of control. There is no defense at all and the game is not realistic. If EA would of included sliders i would be singing a different tune, but without them the game suffers greatly in the replay value factor.
    now 2k3 is good, but it also suffers from some mechanic problems, namely the pass system, stupid(sometimes i mean outright stupid) and erratic AI, some stupid animations, and some floaty shots. Each one of these will annoy you, but you can tweak the game to your liking with sliders. The franchise mode is much more indepth than live is. I think it has a few more modes and options. It plays like a sim, but the fouls are not as good as lives, they still haven't fixed cheap and 1's.
    i'd say get 2k3 for sure but it will take time for you to appreciate it(the opposite for live).