What banana plugs for Pioneer Elite?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Trevin Chow, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Trevin Chow

Trevin Chow Stunt Coordinator

I have a Pioneer Elite VSX-45tx and have no idea what type of banana plugs to get. I've read all types of reports saying that some banana plugs are incompatible with certain receivers.

Surely someone must have a Pioneer Elite receiver that can tell me from experience which banana plugs to use to connect 12gauge wire to it. (i just ordered 12gauge soundking wire from partexpress.com).

I have seen single banana plugs, dual banana plugs, etc etc, just no idea which ones to get. I could go to radioshack, but since I'm buying a some to connect all the speaker wire to the back of the receiver $6+ per pair at RS could get expensive.

2. Chuck Schilling

Chuck Schilling Stunt Coordinator

Trevin,

"Compatibility" just refers to the spacing of the speaker terminals on your receiver and whether they are the right distance apart to utilize the dual plugs or whether you must use single plugs to connect.

3. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit

4. Scott Goldsmith

Scott Goldsmith Stunt Coordinator

I have an Elite 53TX and found these plugs on ebay, GREAT DEAL and work AWESOME!! Not to mention they look killer!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ory=32838&rd=1

Here's a shot of the rear of my Elite with them installed....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FYI, I used Monster Cable banana plugs before, and these hands down kill the Monster Cable ones. Hope that helps a little!!

5. Trevin Chow

Trevin Chow Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for replies everyone! I just picked up the dayton banana plugs from partsexpress since I was ordering speaker stands from them also.

6. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

The Dayton plugs seem like the way to go - I've read lots of good comments regarding them.

The plugs *not* to get would be the NXG dual banana plugs. I made the mistake of getting them a little over a year ago. My Denon didn't like the "dual" connectors because the gap was of a different size. I was able to separate the plugs, but the screw that you had to twist to hold the wire in kept coming lose. All in all, they were quite the PITA.

7. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I have used both the Dayton and Radio Shack Gold Series banana plugs with great success.

8. Bob Friend

Bob Friend Stunt Coordinator

Scott G,

What kind of speaker wire are you using?

9. Scott Goldsmith

Bob - I am using IXOS Bi-wire for the Klipsch RF-7's, the Klipsch RC-7 is using some 12 gauge Monster Cable speaker wire I had left over, and the Klipsch RF-5's are using the inwall speaker wire my new house was built with, not sure on the brand or whatnot, it's probably some cheap Home Depot inwall wire.

Why? Funny to see all the different kinds of wire? [​IMG]

10. Bob Friend

Bob Friend Stunt Coordinator

I've never seen anything like it. They look pretty beefy.

11. Scott Goldsmith

Bob - If you are referring to the IXOS (purple & grey) wire, yeah it's different. [​IMG] Seems to work well, wish I had some money for some more bi-wire for my center channel, but for now the cheap monster cable is working well. I wish the inwall wire was thicker though [​IMG]