What's new

What B&W Speaker to get? Matrix 805 vs CDM1 SE vs CDM7 vs POLK RT2000 (1 Viewer)

JohMabe

Stunt Coordinator
My dealer is offering me an upgrade. I currently own a pair of JBL S310-II, powered by the Roksan Kandy integrated amp. It sounds pretty good, but the mid and the highs are not so clear. I have the following upgrade options:

B&W Matrix 805
B&W CDM7
B&W CDM1 SE
Polk Audio RT2000

When I contacted him, the dealer's first choice was the Polk. But then I asked for a high-end brand and he recommended the B&W CDM7. These two have separate pre-amps for the bass woofers. But the Internet reviews state that the B&W distorts and the Polk ain't high enough.

Now I was considering buying bookshelf monitor-like speakers such as the CDM1 SE and the Matrix 805. Will these supply better sound than the JBLs already?

What would be your choice among these options?

Will I be disappointed with the 3-way speakers?

So many questions, please answer if you know something.
thank you

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The JBLs and Polks listed are not in the same realm as those B&Ws, IMO. I'm don't think I would put the 805 in the same category as the CDMs either.

Aren't those B&Ws older models? Are you looking used? 2ch only or HT as well eventually?

3 way will make little or no difference.

You did not mention a price range. There are a few good threads on under $2k and under $600 speakers already.

JohMabe

Stunt Coordinator
Yea, well, my options are narrowed because of two reasons:
1. I live in Brazil
2. The guy who gives me these options is gonna accept the JBLs as payment too

So, do you think the CDMs are superior to 805s?
3 Way amplified makes no difference because it is bad, or because it won't affect negatively?
Price tag is $1000 to $2000...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ah, I see, Brazil could be a hinderance to access to speakers.

3 way speakers vs 2 way will not adversely affect the sound. A 2 way (speaker) is less complicated to design in terms of drivers, crossover and cabinet, but if designed right, the resulting sound should be similar for 2- and 3-way.

No, the 805s are superior to the CDMs.

If you can swing the 805s, that would be the way to go, but you will still hear a noticable improvement with the CDMs over the Polks ane JBLs. I have always liked the CDM line.

JohMabe

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, so the Matrix 805 are the way to go? But doesn't it lack a bit power? Compared to the CDM7, which one would you choose?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'd probably go with the CDM7s, especially if you listen to more music. The 805s will have less extension, but clearer sound. The CDM7s will have a more full presentation for music with or without a sub, while the 805s will need a sub for movies.

Jon_Krug

Stunt Coordinator
i don't think he is looking for ht though... as he would then need to choose a b&w center. also, the cdm's that u r talking about, r those the cdm1nt's? or something else?

JohMabe

Stunt Coordinator
Yea, I need it ONLY for music... the available option is the CDM1 SE not CDM1 NT. A new option has came up as well, it's the Dynaudio LR120. It's more expensive, though.

Note that I'll listen mainly electronic music, and don't intend to buy a subwoofer so soon.

Thanks, the help has been great so far.

Jon_Krug

Stunt Coordinator
does the cdm se and/or the cdm7 have the tweeter on top?
a friend of mine has the cdm1nt's and they sound absolutely amazing (note that i also recently listened to them in a store and they sounded really badly probably due to lack of break in at the store even though the sales rep said they were fully broken in).

JohMabe

Stunt Coordinator
People say that the bass distorts on the CDM7, even though the mid and highs are terrific. So, I'm worried about this. I got only raving reviews of the Matrix 805, but it seems to small for my needs. I don't know much about the CDM1 SE, and the Polks are too powerful for my needs. So I'm inclined towards the CDM7 and the 805, just need to see the pros and cons of each now.

JohMabe

Stunt Coordinator
A new option has come up, and it seems good. The Dynaudio LR120+. It seems hot, and is cheaper than the CDM7. Even though I read only one review of it, Dynaudio is a trustable name.

What would you choose? Dynaudio LR 120+ vs B&W CDM7?

The only problem is that impedance at this speaker is given at 6ohms, and my Roksan Kandy works at 8ohms. Will this cause any relevant issues?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks