What's new

What audio interconnectors do you use? (1 Viewer)

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
What about Monster Cables??
What about 'em?
Seriously, they work fine, but at a premium. Many, including myself, have used Monster Cables and have found that their performance can be matched or bettered at much cheaper prices.

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
Has anyone tried cables from www.cobaltcable.com ? They look pretty good and are reasonably priced. I don't put a whole lot of stock into the sonic benefits of boutique cables but I do care about construction quality and cosmetics.
-Mike...

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
I bought a complete set of Acoustic Research (I guess about $10 each) and installed them and it sounded like someone was talking with their hand over their mouth
Phil, by any chance, were the AR cables directional (with little arrows pointing in one direction)? If so, and if you still have them, maybe reversing them would make a difference?? I know some people think cables being directional is nonsense but it may be worth a try.

Jeff Theobald

Auditioning
Mike,

I had Cobaltcable make me a custom cable (75 ohm BNC-RCA 25ft) to feed component output from my DVD to a plasma display. Their turnaround was very quick and the quality of the cable was excellent. The price was fair too. I'd highly recommend them.

Jeff

Andrew_B

Stunt Coordinator
I use radio shack gold cables for most of my connections. I've found that oxygen free cables don't give the sound particles space to breathe during transmission. This sonic suffocation translates into somewhat dry mids and subdued bass response. I'm looking into ways to inject even more oxygen into my cables. If my experiments are ever successful, I'll be sure to let you guys know.

LCSeminole

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Laurence
I use the Tara Labs RSC Air 2 Interconnects throughout my whole system, except for the sub I use their Prism 2200s. Extremely neutral sounding. Big difference from the Monster 550's which I now use in the bedroom.

Martice

Screenwriter
Try Liberty Cables I think they are just as good as my Harmonic Technology Prosilways. I bought them for my surrounds from OneCall.com for $20.00 for 3ft. Out of curiousity I put them between my CD player and the amp and they were excellent and good enough for me to sell my Harmonic Tech's and purchase a Creek OBH-12 passive preamp.
Good Luck.

PhilS

Stunt Coordinator
I have been using interconnects from a well known cable manufacturer that were black in color. This was nice, since it matched the color of my pre-pro, which sits on the top of my av rack. The cables matching the pre-pro looked really cool. Then I switched on a trial basis to blue cables. I could immediately notice the difference. The blue did not match the black pre-pro. So I switched back and I am happy once again. The lesson is: Always try out the cables you are considering to make sure the color of the cable is right for your system. (Of course, it goes without saying that you should also make sure they can carry the signal from one end of the cable to another.)

Greer_R

Agent
I built my own as well, I've been very pleased, cost about 20 dollars to make a 5 foot cable (bought rca's, solder, wire) out of Cat-5, it has been done before, time to make more though.

-Greer

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
PhilS...i did enjoy your response and here I thought one could wear any color with black :)

Rob Peloski

Agent
I use primarily accoustic research cables. They are not super expensive but have excellent build quality.

I believe in using good quality cables but not wasting your money on exotic ones. For instance, going from a super thin speaker wire to some 12 gauge will probably make a noticable difference (unless of course you have a tiny low power mini-system).

However, going from some "generic" 12 gauge wire to some 12 gauge wire that costs $1000 a foot probably won't make much difference no matter how revealing you think your system is (physics is physics...and most cable comparison tests I've seen using oscilliscopes find differences only in super long lengths of cable (a few hundred feet) that still aren't detectable by humans)

I know I used speaker wire in my examples, but I feel that my idea holds through on interconnects as well. Going from "factory included" ones to some better shielded better constructed ones will make an improvement. Going from good ones to ultra expensive ones won't.

However, this is only my opinion on the subject. If someone feels that using the $1000 a foot cables makes a difference why should anyone try and prove them wrong. Regardless of whether or not it's all in that persons head it made a difference to them which is whats important.

Armando_P

Auditioning
Just to clear up something, there are different grades of Acoustic Research cables. They are...
1. The "regular" series, which are generally Ok (the cable is colored blue). These are the cables they sell at BB.
2. The "Pro" series. These are the cables that I use and are a GREAT value. Considering the cost, the cables are built really well! I really like these cables and use them entirely on my system.
3. The "Master" series. These cables are built REALLY well and sell for more (but not THAT much more).
I ordered a "master series" digital coax cable the other day, as I wanted to see if there is a difference between the Pro and Master series (besides the construction of the cables). We'll see :)

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Marvin,

I did look at the arrows and turned where I could. Friday I got my AMC amp in for the main system and had the AR's to hook that up. Again different system same results. I was able to scrounge to find 5 intrconnects that were cheap and placed them. I too am now looking for some decent ones as I have a Carver amp on the way for the bedroom.

Jeeze I wish I could find some cables locally that were worth a hoot.

Phil

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Armando,

The AR cables I have were purchased at a Rex TV or Lowes I think. They are grey in color with what looks to be an upgraded RCA connector. They have no writing on them.

What do you think these are? I have always thought AR made good products but have never used their products unitl now.

Phil

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
I've used many very cheap audio cables over the years. From Radio Shack regular and gold series. To brands I don't even remember were I picked them up from. All have worked fairly well for the money.
But, I've done a lot of experimenting over the years in this hobby. And a lot if it has been with interconnects and speaker cables. At least what my budget will allow. :)
My last purchase were for DH-Labs Silver cables. These replaced Cardas Cross interconnect ( which I love ). The reason I changed was due to my speakers changing From Klipsch to Revel. The Cardas tend to roll off the higher frequencies. While the DH-Lab improved the mid to higher frequencies to my Revel speakers.
I've also used Monster interconnect and didn't think they improved much beyond the Radio Shack cables.
I've also been using Cardas Crosslink and Quadlink interconnects. The Crosslink I use from my TV and AM/FM tuner to my processor these days. Nice interconnect for the money but, not the equal of my other interconnect. I use them where sound isn't as demanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks