What's new

What audio interconnectors do you use? (1 Viewer)

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
I recently connected my Parasound 1205 to my Denon 3802 using some basis a/v cables I had around the house. I'm wondering if I should get something better and if I will hear any improvement.

Looking for you opinions.

LCSeminole

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Laurence
Don't go over board on getting real expensive interconnects but the one's you're are using are not getting the most out of the signal. Try looking at the Outlaw interconnects, they're pretty cheap and sound much better than the cables that come packaged with your equipment. I prefer Tara Labs interconnects, but that is just a preference. To answer your question, yes you will hear a difference but be careful this question opens up that CAN of WORMS in most Home Theater forums.

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
be careful this question opens up that CAN of WORMS in most Home Theater forums
No difference here. I believe it depends on your level(low-fi, mid-fi or hi-fi) of equipment if there will be benefit to investing in expensive boutique cables.
I personally use a mix of Better Cables and Link Removed. I would also check out this offer from VINCE.

Joe e h

Stunt Coordinator
I use Audioquest Cables. I slowly got rid of my Monster Interconnects. The main reason for getting rid of them was the turbine gripes on the ends. They are so tight they have pulled connections out of the back of equipment.
If you want a good quality built cable, with a good connector on the end of it look at Audioquest. Since they have updated there line last years line is discontinued. There is a good buy on 1 meter Turquoise over at www.tsto.com.
Of course this is my opinion and what I prefer in my system.
Joe

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
If you can find them used, I think that the best deal out there are the HomeGrown Audio silver lace cables. Pure braided silver, and incredible bass.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I agree with the above guys. IMO spend your money wisely and get "good enough" cables for non critical links like the VCR and DSS etc. For music connections (pre amp to amps, CD players etc) though I can't recomend Link Removed high enough

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Chung, Homegrown Silver Lace IC's are the way to go if you can go up to about $150 a pair. I've got four pair in my system, and I think you'd have to spend significantly more to hear any further improvement.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
If you can use a soldering iron or crimping tools, build your own. Or take Vince up on his offer, the link's been posted above. Either way, you can get much more for your money than buying commercial cables.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Good points by Saurav. If your existing cables are not defective in some way and have been chosen appropriately, I'd suggest using them. Determing if cable A sounds better than cable B is certainly doable but requires a bit of effort that many choose not to do. If you're interested I'd be happy, off-line, to discuss the matter with you. Your efforts at improving your sound are better served by working on your speaker/room/listener interactions.

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Just my 2 cents.
1) I had the "el cheap-o" thin interconnects from my CD player to my AV Receiver. My audio sales person was selling on consignment a pair of Kimber Kable KCAG (silver) interconnects for $175. She let me audition over the weekend. $175 is a lot of money so I thought for the difference I did hear it was not worth it. I took them off on a Monday morning and returned. On Tuesday I placed the "el Cheap-o's" back on the system and could not believe the difference. Wednesday AM i called my audio person and asked if the Kimber was still available and bought them.
2) Interestingly enough in my bedroom HT setup I had "el Cheap-o's as well. Based on the difference in my main system I bought a complete set of Acoustic Research (I guess about $10 each) and installed them and it sounded like someone was talking with their hand over their mouth and to this day the "el-cheap-o's" are still on the system.
I guess I'm saying that all three cables sounded different in their own way.
It is an interesting thread that I too was wondering about as I have a Carver amp on the way and will be trying to tackle the interconnect problem.
If you would like to see reviews about certain cables go to
www.audioreview.com and click on interconnects or cables.
Good Luck !!!

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Right now I'm using cheap ass AR cables for interconnects b/t receiver and amp, but soon to be using custom cables courtesy of Vince. :D

Jeff AW

Stunt Coordinator
Ditto what Joe said about Audioquest. I use all Audioquest Sidewinders for ALL analog. I have about 10 pair for all the various analog inputs I have. For me and my equipment there is not a better cable in its price range. IMHO. They are about $30 a pair.

I build all the rest of my cables. If your handy with the tools, consider that as an option.

Jeff

Larry B

Screenwriter
For 2-channel music, I use Nordost Quattro fil. Anyone in the NYC/Nj are ho would like to come over and compare them to other brands (including DIY) is welcome to do so.

Larry

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys for the feed back. I tried Vince but the opportunity is closed for now. Since I can get Monster cables at cost; which ones should I choose?

PaulDF

Second Unit
Are you guys mostly talking pre-amp to amp? Is the difference also as noticable between CD and integrated receiver?

kevitra

Second Unit
Phil Mays - to see if the change is 'all in your head' or for real, you should have your spouse/roommate/friend swap the cables some day without you knowing. See if you notice what day they were swapped on.

You may think your cables are better just because your brain is telling you to.

Don't mean to start a flame war - just offering a suggestion.

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Kevitra,
I would never be able to tell a difference if my wife did it because it would never be hooked up correctly again and may need an eagle scout to undo the knot.;) :D ;) ;) .
She can do so much more in certain areas than I....but I do the audio:emoji_thumbsup: This goes for friends as well
We could tell a huge difference with the Kimber. During a Pink Floyd album we heard detail that we had not heard before such as slight talking on the recordings before tracks, etc. After replacing the cable the talking simply did not show up. In the bedroom the difference was staggering. The AR cables simply did not give the detail that the cheap-o's did....I was shocked and slightly pissed that I spent about $10 x 4 on them and they are in the drawer. I know they were cheap but I expected more from them. I actually hated spending that money more than the $175 for the Kimber pair.

John Royster

Screenwriter
Which ones do I use?

the ones that sound best to my ears and compliment my system without costing an arm and a leg.

Too bad I haven't found those yet. I'll let you know when I do.

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Anderson
No one has mentioned DH Labs Silver Sonic BL-1 series II interconnects. I have them for my amp to preamp connection and the sound is really smooth and full.

Orin Dym

Stunt Coordinator
I am currently using better cable interconnects and speaker cable. I have also used XLO ultra interconnects and speaker cable, and did not hear differences between the two. I have also tried IXOS interconnects (forget the exact model, price wise a bit more than the bettercables) and did not hear a difference. All these cables fall into about the same price range. In comparison to less expensive cables, I did not like the sound of Monster 550-seemed to roll the highs a bit. Monster speaker wire in comparison to the XLO seemed a touch veiled in the top end and a bit looser in the bass. The differences were very slight, but reproducible. I do feel that cables reach a price to performance plateau very quickly. Once you get above the $50/pair RCA the differences in sound drop sharply. As with all things audio--your millage will vary and this is simply empirical results from my own experiences.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks