What's new

What audio format to use when using headphones? (1 Viewer)

Rob Dawn

Stunt Coordinator
I ocassionally watch DVDs with my headphones on when the wife goes to bed early or is doing homework and I was wondering what the best audio format choice would be - theoretically. DTS, DD5.1, Dolby Surround, . . .
The other night I watched Gladiator using DTS and the sound was fantastic - even through my cheap $10 Sony headphones. I did a short comparison during the closing credits music against the Dolby Surround track and thought the DTS track sounded better.
But I'm wondering if, in theory, one format should be better when using headphones since you've taking out the whole surround aspect and the center channel.
Rob
------------------
My Equipment
[Edited last by Rob Dawn on September 21, 2001 at 11:20 AM]

James Q Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
Theoretically a stereo track should always sound the best through stereo headphones.
------------------
-JQJ

Tim Hess

Second Unit
I use a pair of Sennheiser HD 590s (love'em) hooked up to my SONY DVP-S570D (built in 5.1 decoder) and use the Enhanced Listening Mode for 'headphone virtual surround' or something. The first time I put the phones on I was just setting up the DVD player and pressed the Enhanced Listening Mode button and wandered back to the couch, just then a Dolby Digital intro came up and scared the crap out of me, it sounded more 'real' than my reciever pumping through my 5.1/6.1 setup. The positioning was amazing (And still is).

richard plumb

Stunt Coordinator
I was quite pleasantly surprised by my Sony STRDB830's 'headphone theater' mode. It takes a little getting used to, as there is some 'muddying' of high frequencies, but the positioning is nice. I use it for action movies, but use stereo for more dialog heavy soundtracks.
Normal mode just presents a stereo downmix, so you still get all the info, just in stereo.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
This is a different experience but it is comparable to yours:
When I first got my DVD player, my sound system was a mini system with Pro-Logic. What I noticed is that the sound was much better with the Dolby Digital track, even if my decoder was only Pro-Logic. So there, hope this helps :)
--
Holadem

J

John Morris

Typically, I don't use my headphones to listen to movies, but when I'm on the road and use my portable DVD player, I picked up a little unit called the Sennheiser DSP360 surround processor which takes the stereo output of my DVD player and simulates a Dolby Pro Logic sound field through my headphones. It is not quite 7.1 DD/DTS, but for a unit that's only 4x3x1 inch and only cost $23 refurbed, it is not bad! And I do prefer it to a plain stereo headphone feed for movies.
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
Link Removed
God Bless America!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks