What are your thoughts on this idea??

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Joe Tilley, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

Ok this may sound kinda stupid but I think it could be kinda cool. My wife & I are in the prosess of buying a house. The house we have picked out has a bar in the basement. I am & big nut on Chess sets ( not so much on playing ) but there is just something appealing about them to me. Anyway I thought it would be kinda neat to make a couple inlays of a chess board on the bar. And for chess pices use say shot glasses for like pawns, & maybe goblets for say the king & queen, & other various small shot glasses or goblets for the remaining pieces. The idea as goofy as it may sound would be that wile playing if you loose say one of your pawns you take & shot from that glass, as the value of the piece you loose gets higher so dose the quanity of the shot you have to take.
    I'm not much for drinking games, as most people play them with cards or I've just never really seen the point. But I just thought that it could be pretty fun for something different to do.
    I just thought that this could be a good start for something unusual & interesting. I plan on putting a poole table down there as well, along with a dart board for something to pass time with friends. But I like to be the odd ball out of the group that always has something different than the norm.
    So what are some of your thoughts? I really think it could be fun to do. Hell I could even do it with different beers. Use Ales for pawns, Brown Ales for rooks, Lager's for kings, IPA's for queens ext ext... Man now I just sound like a drunk, but don't worry I'm far from it. waite a minute now it sounds like I'm in denial. Ah whatever [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. EugeneR

EugeneR Second Unit

Pretty sure that there are already chess sets which have shot glasses and such as pieces.

3. Joe Tilley

Crap it figures. Come to think of it I have seen several sets using goblets. But it would still be something custom made instead of just a regular chess board. I'm talking about making my own inlay into the bar so it would be part of the bar all the time. None the less I don't know if anyone has ever played chess in this manner. Just something with more of a personality & the intention of having some fun.

4. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I'm not sure how well I would be strategizing after a few shots. [​IMG]

5. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Sounds like a good idea. Who cares if someones's already done it? It'll be *your* house to do what you like. If you think it's a great idea then go for it! Nothing stopping you but yourself (or maybe your wife) [​IMG]

6. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Joe, you asked, which gives me "thread-fart amnesty." Sounds terrible. First off, mixing different drinks sucks. This extends to beer also. I like the idea of the "inlay" on the bar. That could be nice. It would clutter quick though with 12 shot glasses, 8 goblets and 8 brandy snifters as pieces. My word Joe, Goblets?! [​IMG]

7. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

8. Joe Tilley

Rob, that is just too cool thanks for the link. That is pretty much the idea I was after but instead of marking the glass with its rank, use a different style glass for each one.
    Zen, if your gonna fart at least light a match afterwards please. No really if shots were being used it would all be the same thing not a mix match. For the beer though I would consider it more of a tasting kind of thing. As I like several types of beers & am always looking for something new to try.
    Leila, as far as the wife goes she don't really care what I do for the most part.The basement & the backroom of the house will pretty much be mine to do what I wont. She will have her kitchen & an pretty good sized living room for her stuff, so it works out pretty well.