What are your thoughts on these cheap speakers, and do you have any other options

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Frank Lee, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Frank Lee

Frank Lee Stunt Coordinator

My friend/coworker is putting together a cheap system for his living room. He asked me for suggestions on the speakers. He wants to spend in the $300 range for 5.1 speakers and sub. I think I could convince him to spend a little more (like $50 to $100). He will proabably be powering them with an Onkyo TXSR503 reciever. I haven't really kept up on what it good and what isn't in this price range. He looked at a JBL set(SCS145.5) and a Infinity set (TSS-450). Are these any good? What else would you suggest he demos?

Thanks

2. Sean Buehrle

Sean Buehrle Auditioning

i got the jbl e60s off ebay for 154 dollars 214 with shipping/1 pair new.
    jbl e30s 1 pair 149 and jbl e250 sub for 249 free shipping from j&r .com
    roughly 600 bucks but worth the wait.
    i always tell people to wait an extra month to save some extra cash and get something better.

tell your friend to watch ebay, quite often i see the jbl scs 160 surround system in the 300 dollar range

3. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

The athena Point 5 system for $199 is a steal. Then he has a $100 left over to buy a used subwoofer.

4. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    I used the JBL SCS145.5 and a Yamaha HT5740 receiver in my first theater. Best Buy Christmas gift from the wife. The room was small, roughly 12' x 14'. Once I calibrated them I usually had the volume around -20. The only thing I found lacking was the center speaker. I could not hear allot of the dialog so I upgraded it to a EC25. After that the system sounded crystal clear. I had all the volume I needed and the sub could shake the room. You can check it out here: Basement theater
    I am currently rebuilding and my theater will be twice that size when finished. I am planning to upgrade the right & left speakers to E30s to help fill the larger room. I will still use the others for the surrounds when I wire for 7.1
    Dave

5. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Borrow or steal and additional $60 and get a HSU Ventriloquist + STF-2 combo.