What are your thoughts on these cheap speakers, and do you have any other options

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Frank Lee, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Frank Lee

Frank Lee Stunt Coordinator

My friend/coworker is putting together a cheap system for his living room. He asked me for suggestions on the speakers. He wants to spend in the $300 range for 5.1 speakers and sub. I think I could convince him to spend a little more (like $50 to $100). He will proabably be powering them with an Onkyo TXSR503 reciever. I haven't really kept up on what it good and what isn't in this price range. He looked at a JBL set(SCS145.5) and a Infinity set (TSS-450). Are these any good? What else would you suggest he demos?

Thanks

2. Sean Buehrle

Sean Buehrle Auditioning

i got the jbl e60s off ebay for 154 dollars 214 with shipping/1 pair new.
    jbl e30s 1 pair 149 and jbl e250 sub for 249 free shipping from j&r .com
    roughly 600 bucks but worth the wait.
    i always tell people to wait an extra month to save some extra cash and get something better.

tell your friend to watch ebay, quite often i see the jbl scs 160 surround system in the 300 dollar range

3. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

The athena Point 5 system for $199 is a steal. Then he has a $100 left over to buy a used subwoofer.

4. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    I used the JBL SCS145.5 and a Yamaha HT5740 receiver in my first theater. Best Buy Christmas gift from the wife. The room was small, roughly 12' x 14'. Once I calibrated them I usually had the volume around -20. The only thing I found lacking was the center speaker. I could not hear allot of the dialog so I upgraded it to a EC25. After that the system sounded crystal clear. I had all the volume I needed and the sub could shake the room. You can check it out here: Basement theater
    I am currently rebuilding and my theater will be twice that size when finished. I am planning to upgrade the right & left speakers to E30s to help fill the larger room. I will still use the others for the surrounds when I wire for 7.1
    Dave

5. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Borrow or steal and additional $60 and get a HSU Ventriloquist + STF-2 combo.