What are your thoughts about DVD player "laser cleaners" and such?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave H, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Are these just scams? Any benefit to using the "cleaner" discs?

My player is working perfectly and is just over two years old (Pansonic RV-80). But, it sure gets dusty on the outside - very quickly it seems.

2. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alfie
    Waste of money IMHO...My Panasonic A110 is several years old and still pumping out great audio and video. [​IMG]
    Alfer

3. MikeSh

MikeSh Stunt Coordinator

My JVC S-VHS machine require me to use a cleaning tape about every 60 hours of use. It gets to where you get no picture at all. I use a "wet" type of cleaning tape, Maxwell I think.

But hey, I don't really like this machine anyways.

4. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

I have a PS1 and two LD players which are 6 years old and a cd player that I bought in 1986 have never cleaned lenses in any of them and they all still work. The cd player is a portable with a flip up lid Spend the money on disc cleaners instead. [​IMG]

5. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

6. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

Definitely a benifit for me.

I have had my Tosh 3109 for 3 years now, over the last couple of months it would progressively get to where DVD's would not load up, it would say disc error, even on brand new discs virgin to any player.

I went to Wal-Mart and got an 8 dollar cleaner that had 9 or 10 bristles on the bottom, put it in, ran it twice, and since then every DVD loads up just fine, dust accumulation on your lens is not a good thing.

7. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

I too have found a minimal improvement from using the disk cleaners. They are not going to fix a misaligned laser, but they will take care of a few pesky specs of dust. I keep one around.

-rob

8. Larry Bevil

Larry Bevil Second Unit

I have found that they come in handy every once in a while. I currently have a JVC 502SL and twice in the last few months I have found that the picture will stutter. I insert my Discwasher "wet" lens cleaner disc, and the stutter is gone. (I have sent a request to JVC to advise the best method to clean the laser lens - no answer yet). I have in the past used them on skipping compact discs and they straightened out the problem. I'm certainly not going to take the machine(s) to the repair shop every time they stutter. I'll try the lens cleaner first.