What's new

What are your Picture/Brightness settings? (1 Viewer)

Roger Kint

Stunt Coordinator
For those who have calibrated their displays so that it is not too bright and not too dark, but just right....

1) what is your PICTURE(Contrast/White Level) setting?

2) what is your BRIGHTNESS(Black Level) setting?

3) do you watch in no, low, medium or bright room lighting?

4) TV?

Mine is something like:

1) Picture: 40%

2) Brightness: 50%

3) Lighting: low

4) Sony Wega XBR450

Mine is not just right yet, that's why I'm asking this question. AVIA leaves lots of room to fudge. I find that some scenes are too bright and some are too dark, like Dark City and TPM. I know I'm not supposed to see every dark detail, but it really looks to me that I'm not seeing enough detail in certain scenes like in TPM, when they go through the planet core for instance. And at the same time the bright scenes of the Naboo city aren't entirely easy on the eyes.

Edward Brand

Agent
Roger,

These are my settings:

1) Picture: 30

2) Brightness: 57

3) Sharpness: 35

4) Lighting: low

5) Toshiba 42H81

If you are having trouble seeing detail in TPM and Dark City I suggest you drop your contrast down a couple of notches and bring your brightness up. I was having the same issues until I tried this. I have found that the only way to judge whether your settings are perfect is to watch a variety of different movies and adjust your settings until everything looks right. --Edward.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
AVIA is great for getting "in the ballpark" but you should always feel free to deviate a few clicks to please your own taste. Sometimes a particular dvd will be a bit "off" and need a little help to bring out shadow detail.

Often a disc that seems overly bright or dark is that way because that is the intent of the director/cinematographer.

Some scenes in Titanic are blindingly bright.

Generally a direct view set will look best with Contrast (Picture in Sonyspeak) a bit higher than on an rptv.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks