What are your opinions on Wharfedale speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Harbaugh, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

I just purchased two Wharfedale Valdus 200's for $29 each, new. Will get them in about a week. I was going to use them as my surrounds to replace some old KLH stuff. I read some reviews at audioreview and they are well received there. I figured for the price I couldn't go wrong.

Now I'm thinking of replacing my Yamaha NS-A638 which I'm using as my mains. I don't have alot to spend and want to match up the Wharfedale's in the back. I was thinking of purchasing two Valdus 400's(~$100 each) or two Valdus 500's(~$150 each).

Does anyone have any opinions of this company and their product?

I have a Mission 77c1 which I love and would like to match with other Mission towers but I can never find them cheap enough.

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Many Wharfedale models are quite similar to Missions in sound and design and vice versa. The Valdus is a modern design with heavier emphasis on modern pop/rock and HT usage. The price you quoted is a steal for any decent speaker. Check for video-shielding before buying/bidding.
    I am a Wharfedale user and a big fan. They make quality products which are often overlooked here in the U.S.A. which is fine by me because it makes for great model sell-outs. My dream system is 6 Emerald 97's for multi-channel stereo. It's just finding them all in Walnut...that's the kicker.
    Oh yeah, and the room for them all. I guess that would help.[​IMG]

3. Joe Wilmore

Joe Wilmore Stunt Coordinator

I just received the Emerald 97's in black, and the sound is amazing. They work great in tight spaces also, due to the front porting. I replaced my Norh ceramic 4.0's in the front with these speakers, and I can say with both speakers crossed over at 80hz, you get a much fuller mid range with the two woofers in the Emeralds. I got mine for $89.00 each, and I can't imagine a better deal available in audio.

4. Jason Harbaugh

Thanks for the replies. I'll try and get the matching Valdus line for my mains. It is mostly for HT use with some listening pleasure, electronica type music.

Ubid is great for getting these speakers cheap. Shipping bites but you still come out ahead.

I'm using a front projection system so do I still need to worry about shielding? There isn't anything next to the speakers except a blank screen.

5. Joe Wilmore

Joe Wilmore Stunt Coordinator

Hey Jason if you can, try to get the Emeralds instead of the Valdus line. They are much better for both home theater and 2 channel stereo. You can read reviews of these speakers at audioreview.com.

6. Jason Harbaugh

Did you really find the Emerald 97's for $89? The cheapest retail I could find is $650 and I haven't come across any on auction recently. I'll definately keep my eye out though. Very good reviews.

Ubid seems to be in the Pacific line phase. I can't find any reviews of those.

7. Paul Clarke

Hello Jason,
    Joe is absolutley right about the Emeralds. Your jaw will drop when you hear what they sound like at the price paid. Mine were $129 a pop. They are a beautiful design with matching grain Walnut panels. I understand the need to keep compatibilty with what you already have but you are not too deeply in as of yet. You may be able to switch gears.
    The Emeralds keep coming up but more rarely. You have to keep checking back both in the High End Room and the Speaker listing. More than once I have found speakers listed under Bookshelf that were Towers such as the Emeralds. They are featuring the Pacifics now and I will tell you that just like the Emeralds...I don't know of a finer buy in serious speaker for the money. This is truly like stealing. Of course the Pacifics when first listed are at a higher UBid Now price but wait awhile and that will change.[​IMG]
    This is not a put-down of the Valdus...it is simply that the Emeralds (and Pacifics) are stunning values in quality sound. If you like silk dome tweeters, superb mid-range, accuracy, transparency, imaging, soundstage, vocal reproduction you have to hear to believe and very respectable bass response down to 30Hz for sub-less running...get yourself some. And keep reminding yourself that what you're doing is really not against the law.[​IMG]
    There are published reviews on the Pacific line in several mags...Stereophile Guide to Home Theater (February) and The Absolute Sound (Feb/Mar). The web also has reviews at various sites, mostly British. The Emeralds have been around a long while and most of the reviews are long gone but Wharfedale keeps tweaking the design and new versions are still being reviewed. I actually found a very recent one down in Australia but the guys there have not told me yet whether they sell reprints internationally.
    Good Luck.

8. Jason Harbaugh

Thanks Paul and Joe. I think I'll hold out for the Emeralds or if the Pacifics go down. I do really like how the Wharfedale speakers look. Very sharp. I am in an apartment so I can't get too much bass or go too loud but I would like to fill up my room a little more.

Thanks again.

9. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

I have pair of Saphire-85 SE and I must concure that it is great deal[$200.00 a pair shipped],and sounds great.

I use mine as surrounds[side] and immidiately dumped my DT BP2 from the side to the back[surround] duty.Not bad for less then half the money compare to the DT, and amazingly,the timber match is better with the Saphire then with the DT BP2 to the mains which are DT BP-10's!

10. Jason Harbaugh

How are the Wharfedale Modus 1.6? Should I still hold out for the Emeralds. Ubid has the Modus for around $60-80 each, new. Reviews have been good at audioreview but would still like to hear your opinions.

Thanks.

11. Paul Clarke

I believe Angelo Petralba got a set from Ubid not too long ago. You could shoot him an e-mail...member list under the A's...page 15.

12. Angelo_Petralba

Angelo_Petralba Second Unit

Did someone say Wharfedale Modus 1.6?

Paul Hello again.

Jason-

I too got a GREAT deal on the Modus 1.6. I have a set of the Rose Modus Music 1.6. I'm Totally impressed and Satisfied with this set, It's FINALLY broken in and they absolutely SING! I use it more for HT (I also have the Modus Music Center which is excellent for HT duties.) than 2 channel but everytime I listen to them, I just get totally relaxed and in awe.

The price I paid for this set is definitely a STEAL!

Don't forget that speaker sound is TOTALLY SUBJECTIVE so what might be GREAT for me would be awful for you, but as far as I am concerned, these are DEFINITELY keepers.

Also, don't forget to Bi-Wire or at least use 12 Guage speaker wire as they definitely make a difference. Mine is Bi-wired using 12 guage wire.

One thing that I think could be improved is definitely the Speaker Grills, they are made of thin plastic and if you are hitting LOW NOTES you can hear the plastic rattle, of course you can always remove them, but they break easily.

I hope this helps.

Paul-

Thanks for the heads up.

Angelo

13. PeterV

PeterV Agent

Paul,

How would you compare the Wharfedale Sapphire line to the

Emerald's?

Thanks

14. Paul Clarke

Hello Peter,

Of all the large Wharfedale line-up, the Sapphire series is one of the few I haven't been able to audition. Most of the showrooms I've haunted through the years where Wharfedale's are sold have not featured any Sapphire's. Bad timing on my part, I guess.

I know they are also a very popular seller on Ubid, especially the 'Blue'. A more modern design, I would expect more robust bass handling ability but without having heard them I really can't say. I really don't see how anyone can go wrong with any of these Wharfedale sell-outs.

Owners of other Wharfedale speaker models should submit their descriptions and experiences. Emerald owners have gone on the record with descriptions such as those in the posts above and in other recent threads. I've certainly raved enough about the Emerald. Angelo has contributed towards the Modus 1.6. I know I've read posts of owners with several of the Bookshelf models. It would be useful to have a library of sorts of opinions on the acoustical nature of the various models for potential buyers to reference since many of these various Wharfedale models are now becoming so popular.

Just a thought.

15. Jason Harbaugh

I ended up purchasing the Modus 1.6 on ubid. Reviews have been pretty good, with the exception of the grills.

One question. What is bi-wiring? How do I do it and what are the benefits? Right now I just have 14gauge speaker wire running.

16. Paul Clarke

Jason,

This is one of those semi-controversial areas. Some people hear no difference---others do. I always bi-wire when available but then I'm not running $100+ speaker interconnects. Bi-wiring is helpful in the frequency extremes.

Most Bi-wire sets from various manufacturers feature 12ga. for the lows and 13ga. or higher for the highs. Many people like me use whatever they have around. 14 all-around is a nice compromise. Just run two sets of wire from each of the L-R posts. This is simpler than running one set on A and another on B. The trickiest part is keeping your wiring from getting mixed up and getting your speakers out of phase.

Enjoy your 1.6's. I'm sure Angelo must have his sorted out by now. Maybe he can be of help with any placement issues.

17. Jason Harbaugh

Ok since Ubid screwed up my last order on the Modus 1.6 I just found the Emerald 97's in Walnut and won the bid. I paid a little more, $150each but can't wait to get them. I did get a coupon for $46 off my next Ubid purchase so that helps.
    Thanks for all of your help guys. Can't wait to update my pics with these beauties. [​IMG]

18. Paul Clarke

Congratulations. Please come back after they've broken in and give everyone an honest opinion on everything...sound, appearance, setup, etc. And let us know if you need any setup tips.

19. Ted Kim

Ted Kim Stunt Coordinator

I would also check out the Wharfedale Diamond 8.xx Series. Last time I checked, the 8.2 bookshelves were onsale at amazon.com for $299 shipped. The latest Diamond series uses kevlar woofers and have been well received in the UK Hifi press.

20. Jason Harbaugh

I've noticed the Diamond Series at amazon alot lately.

I'm actually trying to decide what to replace my rear center with.

Right now I'll have:

Mains: Emerald 97's

Center: Mission 77c1

Surrounds: Valdus 200

Rear Center: KLH POS :b

Any sudgestions? Maybe I should sell the two Valdus 200's and match those up with Emerald 93's or Diamonds? I don't have alot of money to spend but wouldn't mind getting it right this time so I don't have to upgrade for awhile.