What's new

What are your opinions on these cheap "home theater system"? (1 Viewer)

MarkDude

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a college student looking to be able to have a good DVD-watching experience, but obviously I don't have the cash or the space to have a true "home theater".

So until I graduate, what do you think of the inexpensive packages like this one?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....2&type=product

Is it worth it to buy something like this? If anyone's had experience with this kind of system, please give me some feedback. Thanks in advance.

--Mark--

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Well, I haven't had experience with that particular system, but have friends who bought similar systems in that price range. For your application, dorm room or small apartment, I don't see anything wrong with getting something like this. At least Koss is a known name brand, more for headphones than HTs, but at least it is a known brand. Check around for other name brands in the same price range too. I would definately stay away from the sub 100 dollar systems though, such as the 70 buck Durabrand stuff from Wal-Mart. The upside to buying it from Best Buy is that you can always take it back if you don't like it. My theory is that for a person in your situation, being in college and all, something like this fits the bill and doesn't break the bank. Keep in mind though that you are NOT going to get theater like sound from a system like this, but you will get the surround effect. This system doesn't decode DTS so that is a minus, but cheap surround is better than NO surround I always say. Check it out and enjoy.:)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Some friends of mine got this same system for Christmas, and I was surprised how nice it sounded. Unfortunately, it wouldn’t read any discs, so they had to return it.

How long is this supposed to last you? It might be worth getting the extra warranty, if one’s available. The one from the manufacturer – 90 days? Pretty scary...

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Please, everyone, read the information atop the main thread-listing page for the Basics area. It's a section of the board that beginners can go to in order to get basic information about the hobby in general. For specific-model questions about HT gear, please post in the appropriate hardware area. Thank you.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Little systems like that are great, and all many people need. A gigantic step up from TV speakers for a modest price. Refurbished stuff at places like http://www.refurbdepot.com/ or something new from discount places like www.jandr.com or www.onecall.com offer more bang for the buck than Best Buy. Sony or Panasonic will definitely offer a better system than Koss. I would recommend avoiding Koss.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks