What Are Your Magic Price and Size Numbers for HDTV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Iver, Oct 5, 2002.

1. Iver

Iver Second Unit

To what price level would the average price for an HD-ready have to drop before you would want to buy?

Which type/ screen size?

Is there any reason besides price holding you back (fear of difficulty of operation, confusion about HD technology, belief that few stations have begun HD broadcasts)?

2. Andy Olivera

Andy Olivera Screenwriter

Preferably 36" and $1500.

The $1500 also includes the price of a good progressive-scan DVD player(without one, what's the point of HD?)...

3. Iver

Iver Second Unit

$900 before tax.

4. Iver

Iver Second Unit

Sorry. I should have added: imagine the set is plug-and-play. You will not have to figure out any kind of complicated instructions to install and/or use the set.

5. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

$1500 for a 40-inch widescreen would do it if there were some way for me to receive programming. I live in a north-facing basement apartment, so both satellite and antenna are out, and the local cable company isn't carrying HDTV yet. So, until that happens, I'm not even thinking too hard about HDTV.

6. Iver

Iver Second Unit

Oh, my TV type: 32-inch direct view or 42-inch RPTV, whichever gets cheaper faster.

7. Iver

Iver Second Unit

The National Association of Broadcasters provides this excellent SITE with the current tally of stations that have gone to HD broadcasting
    and lists of the stations in every city in the U.S. (the total recently exploded right through the 500 mark, with no signs of slowing down!!!).
    Just move your mouse until the little pointer on your computer screen points at the underlined word SITE in red letters and click the left mouse button!

8. Iver

Iver Second Unit

^^^^^