What's new

What are your "Holy Grails?" (1 Viewer)

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
dont give up hope on wonder years or happy days.

there are so many shows to put out, and they have to play catchup. so the shows that cause the least problems will tend to get done first.

but i think the above 2 shows, as well as ozzie and the gang will get released.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
okay, one show that i would love, that even i am skeptical about, is the mitch miller show.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
Originally Posted by Tim Tucker

Another problem with Ozzie & Harriet is that the show is (rightly or wrongly) perceived as public domain.
i thought that public domain (pd) means that no one owns the rights to the show ? "being perceived" doesnt seem to make sense to me. if my definition of pd is correct, then there is no perception - either it is owned by someone or it isnt ?

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Holy Grails:

-The continuation of Fantasy Island(so I can pair it up with the Love Boat)

-Man called Slone complete series

-Creature Feature and Son of Svengoolie horror shows from the 70's and early 80's.

-You can't do that on Television, Pinwheel, and Special Delivery

-The Star wars Holiday Special(just for laughs) along with special features

-In Search Of from the 70's complete series

-Misfits of science

-Grizzly Adams(so I can pair it up with the Muppet show)

That's all I can think of right now. Other than that I'm pretty happy with my tv dvd collection.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Originally Posted by jimmyjet

i thought that public domain (pd) means that no one owns the rights to the show ? "being perceived" doesnt seem to make sense to me. if my definition of pd is correct, then there is no perception - either it is owned by someone or it isnt ?
If the Nelson estate still owns the show, they are not doing much to enforce their copyright, given the numerous PD releases that are out there.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i see - the bootleggers are getting away with it, cuz no one is stopping them. but a legal studio does not want to take a chance, cuz they dont legally own it ?

cant a copyright be checked out, such that it can be precisely determined who owns the rights ?

i know in music, that there are still hangups with chubby checker being released.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
Not a series, but a TV movie:

THE MORNING AFTER (1974), with Dick Van Dyke in a heartrending performance as a hopeless, self-destructive alcoholic. I've got a rotten quality multigenerational VHS copy of this, and it's still amazing, even in such a lousy state. I'd love to be able to toss it in the bin in favor of an official remastered release, ideally with a Van Dyke commentary and/or interview. I fear, however, that a release may be impossible because of a certain pesky Beatles song that's inextricably intertwined with the narrative. Not only is "Yesterday" on the soundtrack in instrumental form, but Van Dyke's character sings it to himself onscreen. Sigh...

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
The revived FANTASY ISLAND - darker, edgier than the first. Better!

MAVERICK - I will continue to list it til WB releases it.

SANFORD - sequel to Sanford & Son and just as funny.

GET A LIFE - absurdist comedy starring Chris Elliot from Fox's early years.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
so unless someone claims to own a tv series, we cant find out who does own it ?

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I was asking the same question myself a few months ago. There were rumors circulating on some other boards stating the 1960s TV Show 12 O Clock High was now Public Domain. It sounded too good to be true, so I wanted to know if this was true or not. (Turned out, as usual, that it was FALSE) I posted a Thread, and someone steered me to where you can find out who owns the Copywright on TV Shows, I updated that Thread to make it easier to find, its called "Is a Show Public Domain?" Go check it out Jimmyjet.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Apparently, my holy grails all involved Carol Burnett! Here's what I can't believe they didn't already put out on dvd:

1.) "ONCE UPON A MATTRESS" the first two versions. I am NOT talking about the cheesy 2005 remake. I am talking about the specials that aired in 1964 and 1972. Both starred Burnett and Jack Gilford, but the supporting casts were different in each. I'd love to see them both on dvd. Yes, they do still exist--so what's the dang problem?

2.) "EUNICE" circa 1982. This was a terrific follow-up to the "Family" segments from the Carol Burnett Show, and paved the way for the eventual "Mama's Family" series (which is also on my wishlist for a complete do-over of season one, and the following five seasons afterward).

3.) "FRESNO" which was a bizarre 1986 mini-series (6 hours) starring Burnett. It was more or less a parody of primetime soaps, and had an all-star cast.

And of course I'd like to see the Carol Burnett Show itself on dvd. I'm sorry, but as popular as the lady is, her dvd presence leaves a LOT to be desired!!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
For official releases on DVD, nothing tops "Dragnet" S2 (and 3 and 4) for Grail status with me.

Kirk76

Grip
Real Name
Kirk
Just off the top of my head:

You Can't Do That On Television

The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis

The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet - season sets

The Jack Benny Program - season sets & specials

A Christmas Together - John Denver and The Muppets special

various Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, and Andy Williams Christmas specials in their entirety

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
Originally Posted by Jack P

For official releases on DVD, nothing tops "Dragnet" S2 (and 3 and 4) for Grail status with me.
i only found out in the last few months about the earlier episodes of dragnet. didnt know they ever existed. as a kid, i only saw the ones with joe gannon. jack webb (friday) apparently had another partner for many earlier seasons. but those shows never played on reruns, so i never knew they existed. probably had to do with copyright protection of some sort.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
I forgot some tv-movies that I would love to see come out on DVD. Murder Can Hurt You a tv movie spoof about all the tv detectives. Jamie Farr was on it.

Would love to see the Adventures of Horace: Prince of the Sun to make it out on DVD.

Mary Tyler Moore and George Peppard's "What's So Bad ABout Feeling Good?" deserves a digital tryout, but I fear music rights has played a part. It was a musical first. Loved Don Deluise in it.

James

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack P

Yeah, I'd like to see Season 2 if for no other reason than to get that nice Christmas episode uncut and in pristine condition. I've been making due with a chopped up print off TV for years now.

Gary "not sure I love the show enough to buy every season set, but I'd definitely buy season 2" O.

trondmm

Auditioning
Real Name
Trond
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis

One of my Grails that hasn't been released is a miniseries from '77-'79 "How the West Was Won" / MGM (James Arness, Bruce Boxleitner).
The 1976 TV Movie "The Macahans" and the 1977 miniseries has actually just been released on DVD in Scandinavia. Video appears to be unrestored, the audio is DD 2.0 mono and there are no extras.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074834/board/nest/39930154?p=2

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley ">[/url]

And of course I'd like to see the Carol Burnett Show itself on dvd. I'm sorry, but as popular as the lady is, her dvd presence leaves a LOT to be desired!![/QUOTE]How could I have forgotten [i]The Carol Burnett Show[/i]! I loved it as a child.

[QUOTE]Originally Posted by [b]JamesSmith[/b] [url=/forum/thread/294514/what-are-your-holy-grails/30#post_3624135]

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The Holy Grail of TV DVDs for me would be...

Khan! - early 1975 TV series which starred Khigh Dhiegh in an uncredited leading role

Midnight Caller (1988-91)

The Magician (1973-74)

Man Against Crime - late 40's to mid 50's thriller TV series which starred Ralph Bellamy (it was broadcast live until 1952, and Jack Lord guest starred in one episode)

Cry Murder (1950) - movie which starred Jack Lord

The Tattooed Stranger (1950) - movie which starred Jack Lord in an uncredited role

Shadow of the Cloak - early 50's live TV series

Five Fingers - late 50's/early 60's TV series which starred David Hedison

Tightrope - late 50's/early 60's TV series which starred Mike Connors

Call to Danger - TV pilots which starred Peter Graves

The Psychiatrist (1971) - TV series which starred Roy Thinnes

Jigsaw (1972) - TV movie which starred James Wainwright

Jigsaw John (1976) - TV series which starred Jack Warden

The Counterfeit Killer (1968) - TV movie/movie Jack Lord made, which was released around the time he started work on Hawaii Five-O

The Name of the Game is Kill (1968) - movie Jack Lord made, which was released around the time he started work on Hawaii Five-O

M Station: Hawaii (1980) - TV pilot starring Jack Lord, co-starring Moe Keale, who reprised his role as Truck from Hawaii Five-O

The Whales That Wouldn't Die (1980) - documentary narrated by Jack Lord

Death Car on the Freeway (1979) - TV film starring Peter Graves

Dark Towers - early 80's drama serial which aired on the BBC

Whiz Kids (1983-84) - one episode featured Jameson Parker, guest starring as AJ Simon from the TV series Simon & Simon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks