1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What are Your Favorite Vintage Western Series?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by JohnHopper, Sep 16, 2018.

1. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Supporting Actor

John Hopper
    Amongst the 1950’s and 1960’s western series what are your favorite ones and why?

2. Regulus

Regulus Cinematographer

William Hughes
    The Wild Wild West I like "Steam Punk" westerns with a smidgen of sci-fi tossed in. :thumbsup:

3. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Producer
    Supporter

Doug
    Gunsmoke - storytelling, characters, relationships, locations (first seasons especially so) - excellence all around
    The Rifleman - the strong father-son relationship between Lucas and Mark mirrored by the father-son relationship between Micah and Lucas
    Cheyenne - loner travelling from town to town with a strong moral code always acting appropriately
    Wild Wild West - Spies in the old west investigating "X-Files" type mysteries; Honorable Mention to Brisco County, Jr.
    The High Chaparral - Great cast and amazing locations make this a fine and enjoyable series
    Zorro - Guy Williams as a masked superhero cowboy, first superhero I liked before Superman
    Rawhide - a cattle drive was never more fun, Clint Eastwood and Eric Fleming lead the way

I enjoy most any western, but these are my favorites.

4. MartinP.

MartinP. Second Unit

Martin

I guess I'm the opposite, I never have gravitated toward western series.

(Did you ever wonder why a person likes what they like?)

If I watched any westerns it was usually because there wasn't anything else on at the same time that I was interested in.

I did enjoy watching BONANZA of any of them and that's the one I've seen most of.
    I also remember a lot about the 1/2 hour BRANDED series starring Chuck Connors. It has a "Fugitive" like premise.
    Also an occasional viewing of THE VIRGINIAN was in my viewing habits.
    I occasionally watched THE IRON HORSE, too, because it starred a train.

Of ones that I tried, but just never did like at all: Gunsmoke and The High Chaparral.

5. Message #5 of 94 Sep 16, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    I can watch 'em all day...I'm a creature of those days...quite often, among the best drama of that era, and with great talent and guest stars...

Rawhide
    Gunsmoke
    Have Gun Will Travel
    The Westerner
    The Virginian
    High Chaparral
    Wagon Train
    The Rebel
    Wanted Dead or Alive
    Cheyenne
    Dakotas
    The Loner
    Tate
    Bonanza
    Rifleman
    Branded
    Daniel Boone

Comedic Westerns
    Maverick
    Yancy Derringer
    Laredo
    Sugarfoot
    Wild Wild West
    F Troop
    Alias Smith and Jones

"Contemporary" Westerns
    Stoney Burke
    Wide Country
    State Trooper
    Sheriff of Cochise

And a lot of honorable mentions...I don't know if there's a truly bad western done in those days...just a lot of average ones...I, of course, much prefer those shot on location far afield of LA...Arizona, New Mexico, Mojave, Tahoe, Oregon, Utah, etc. Or at least, a lot of outdoor filming at Janess, Conejo, Thousand Oaks, etc.

ToddR2, Bert Greene, Darby67 and 4 others like this.
  6. Message #6 of 94 Sep 16, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    I'll put in a few words for the old favorites:

THE LONE RANGER- Love the horse opera serial music used in the show and was sorry to see it gone for the last season. Still irked that the DVD releases dropped the "with his faithful Indian companion, Tonto", opening. Still have my Rhino VHS tapes for that. A treat to finally see the color episodes.
    lr3.

SERGEANT PRESTON OF THE YUKON- With his horse, Rex, and Yukon King, the fastest lead dog in the North West. Love the music in this too! The beautiful color outdoor photography, and the beautiful color coordinated interiors and interior exteriors. Seeing the episodes in color on the DVDs is still my most cherished DVD buy. (But maybe I just watch too much B&W, if that's possible.) I took in a relative's Malamute, after she died. The dog was old and only lasted 15 months with me. It was great fun to have him, even when he woke me up at 3:00 AM, to let him outside, so he could bury himself in the snow.
    55b6ee4953d3f__sergeant-preston-of-the-yukon2. 1237889738_1.

ZORRO-The action, the characters, the humor, and again the music. Each character, including Tornado, had his own musical theme. A perfect Television show! The stunt coordinator was Yakima Canutt and sometimes Zorro performed some of the same stunts seen in Republic Studios westerns.

023-zorro-theredlist. 025-zorro-theredlist. zor-137.

Ron1973, Bert Greene, Darby67 and 5 others like this.
  7. Message #7 of 94 Sep 16, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Supporting Actor

Jeff Flugel
    I'm with Doug and Randall...I enjoy most any western TV series (and especially movie westerns). Of the most famous ones, probably the one I'm the least fond of is Gunsmoke...just can't stand Amanda Blake, sorry. I'm trying to warm up to that show, but it's never been, and not likely to be, a favorite.

The Wild Wild West is one of my favorite series, period, so that would be up at the top of the list...but I don't really think of that show as a proper western, despite the time period and cowboy trappings. To me, it's more of a spy / adventure series. Nonetheless, I'm happy to have it classified as a western.

I have a soft spot for Bonanza having grown up with it, but I'm hit-and-miss with the series now, as some of the episodes veer too far into melodramatic soapy territory for me. Ditto The Big Valley and The Virginian. I'm growing to like Rawhide, and enjoy Maverick, Cheyenne, Bronco and similar series very much.

I particularly enjoy the half-hour westerns, which often boast tighter stories than the hour-long variety, shows like Have Gun - Will Travel, The Westerner, The Loner, Yancy Derringer, Lawman, Tate, Wanted: Dead or Alive, Bat Masterson, Zane Grey Theatre, etc.

Basically, if it's a western made between the 1950s and the 1970s, I'm willing to check it out.

8. Likecats

Likecats Stunt Coordinator

William
    Kid's westerns: The Lone Ranger, Hopalong Cassidy, The Gene Autry Show. Adult westerns:Gunsmoke, The Big Valley, Wild Wild West, The Rifleman, Bat Masterson, Wagon Train.

9. JohnHopper

John Hopper
    LONG FORMAT
    Rawhide
    Cimarron Strip
    The Big Valley
    The Dakotas

Notes #1 (only the first show)
    Rawhide has a wonderful cast, good characters chemistry, good production values, a mature and realistic story telling
    and, above all, Clint Eastwood.

SHORT FORMAT
    Wanted: Dead or Alive
    Lawman
    The Westerner
    Tate
    The Loner

Notes #2 (only the first show)
    Wanted: Dead or Alive has a great star (Steve McQueen), an unusual weapon. Nuff said.

ESPIONAGE FORMAT
    The Wild Wild West

Notes #3
    The Wild Wild West has an original formula, two wonderful leading characters, unusual stories, great production values.

CONTEMPORARY FORMAT
    Stoney Burke

Notes #4
    Stoney Burke has a realistic tone, good leading man, good ensemble of supporting cast and guests, superb production values.

Additional Notes
    There are shows I watched a selection of episodes that intrigue me: Bonanza, Gunsmoke, Branded, The Rebel.
    As a kid, I watched Zorro, Davy Crockett and Rin Tin Tin.
    The martial arts western series Kung Fu interest me during the first and second season.
    I remember late seventies shows like The Quest (with Kurt Russell, Tim Matheson, Susan Dey) and Centennial (with Robert Conrad).

Bert Greene, Darby67, Gary OS and 4 others like this.
  10. jperez

jperez Second Unit

jorge perez
    Gunsmoke, by far.
    But also Maverick, Laredo, Wagon Train, Rawhide, Have Gun Will Travel, The Virginian, Laramie... and 'modern' westerns like Stoney Burke The Wide Country and Empire.

Bob_S., Darby67, Tony Bensley and 3 others like this.
  11. bmasters9

bmasters9 Cinematographer

Ben Masters
    My favorites are Have Gun, Will Travel and Wanted: Dead or Alive, both on CBS then, and both because of the main people on them: Richard Boone and Steve McQueen, respectively.

12. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Screenwriter

Brian Camp
    So many good ones. I used to watch them all as a kid. And thanks to the Encore Western Channel I've been rediscovering tons of them. The only ones I've seen enough of so far to justify putting on a favorites list are "Tales of Wells Fargo" and "Death Valley Days." I need to see more eps. of "Lawman" to make a decision on that one, but I've liked the ones I've seen very much. "The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp" is excellent, too, judging from the couple dozen eps. or so that I've seen of it. I have box sets of the early eps. of "The Lone Ranger" and those hold up very well. "Cheyenne" is quite good, too.

I prize my box sets of the early color western shows like "The Cisco Kid," "Sergeant Preston of the Yukon" and "My Friend Flicka." And the color eps. of "The Gene Autry Show."

There are plenty that I haven't seen in years, like "The Rifleman," that I remember quite fondly. I run hot and cold on other series, like Gunsmoke, Maverick, Wagon Train, Bat Masterson, Have Gun Will Travel, Rawhide, Bonanza, and The Virginian. Some great eps. mixed in with mediocre ones.

13. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Screenwriter

Brian Camp
  14. JohnHopper

John Hopper
    Darby67 and Vic Pardo like this.
  15. JohnHopper

John Hopper
    Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  16. AndrewCrossett

AndrewCrossett Second Unit

Bonanza, The Big Valley, Gunsmoke, Maverick, Rawhide. I never really saw much of The Wild Wild West but it sounds like something I'd probably like. For more modern westerns, Deadwood and Westworld. Oh, and The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams, though I haven't seen it since it originally aired when I was a kid. I wonder if it would hold up?

17. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Screenwriter

Brian Camp
  18. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    I've never been much of a fan of westerns. But in recent years, I've latched onto a few from the 60s that I haven't seen mentioned here:

THE GUNS OF WILL SONNETT - It was about eight or so years ago, when the digital transition was happening in television, that I caught an episode of THE GUNS OF WILL SONNETT. It impressed me enough that I took a chance on the Timeless DVD set. They're unfortunately syndication episodes full of cuts and some nasty prints, but the show itself manages to shine through.

THE LONER - a show I'd totally forgotten about. It was the last new black & white series on CBS and had Rod Serling as its creator/writer. When it aired originally, I skipped over it - because I just wasn't into westerns. I'm slowly making my way through these, savoring each episode. The DVD set is quite watchable.

THE MONROES - This show aired opposite LOST IN SPACE on its original one-season run, so I wouldn't have been watching it at all. But after it ended, the following year it entered syndication and I tuned in on occasion. It was novel to see a color series on the channel that aired it, an upstart UHF that mostly ran ancient movies. During that run, I enjoyed the show. The DVD set is comparable to the GUNS OF WILL SONNETT set mentioned above, but here the show is complete, but the prints are truly horrible.

I can occasionally get into and enjoy GUNSMOKE, and I liked THE WILD WILD WEST.

19. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Supporting Actor

Jeff Flugel
    I really like what I've seen of The Guns of Will Sonnett, but the episodes have been so heavily butchered in their syndicated form that I rarely watch that set, sadly. Wish they looked better, too, but I could live with imperfect video; the edits are far more egregious.

Love seeing Walter Brennan play such a tough guy. "Not brag, just fact."

Ron1973, Darby67, Flashgear and 4 others like this.
  20. GMBurns

GMBurns Second Unit

Glenn
    There are many westerns I really enjoy, but three especially stand out.

Gunsmoke: the best western, and not just because it lasted 20 years. Matt Dillon is a tower of strength. He doesn't have to grimace or shout, but you know he always means what he says. The first six half-hour seasons are the absolute best because they are so Dillon-centric. I love the friendship between Matt and gruff old Doc Adams.

Cimarron Strip: the supporting cast is fun but not very vivid, but Marshall Crown is a tour de force, and commands your attention with his gravelly voice. One of the best openings of any western as Stuart Whitman rides alone and the camera slowly pulls farther and farther away from him.

Wild Wild West: it could get a little cartoonish, with villains a la Batman. But the banter and camaraderie between Jim and Artie made every episode great fun. And Ross Martin dominated every scene he was in when in costume.