What's new

What are your favorite SNES RPGs? (1 Viewer)

Andre F

Screenwriter
Wow...this one bring back some memories.

Secret of Mana

Zelda (action/RPG)

Super Mario RPG

Different system but my favorite of all time:

Shining in the Darkness (Genesis)

-Andre F

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Final Fantasy II

Final Fantasy III

Chrono Trigger

Secret of Evermore

The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past

Final Fantasy III is my all time favorite RPG.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Final Fantasy III (all time fave rpg)

Secret of Mana

Regrettably, I never played Chrono Trigger. I just picked it up on the PSX Chronicles (or is it Anthologies) disc, buut haven't had time to play it...

-Dave

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Sadly, I was deprived during the SNES era, so I missed out on 90% of the good games. First RPG I ever played was...Final Fantasy VII.

I did play FFV and FFVI (FFIII) and can say FFIII is in my top 3 best FF games.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
My two most favourite RPG's are Lunar 1 and 2(SEGA-CD)

But my favourite SNES RPG's are: Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Breath of Fire II, and if you consider this a RPG, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

Andrew

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
I don't have a very differing opinion from everyone else, but easily Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, FF3. Secret of Evermore and Breath of Fire II were pretty cool, also.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Can't really add anything new, so here are my favorite SNES RPGs:

FFII & III

Secret Of Mana

Zelda III (my favorite RPG of all time on the SNES)

JasonK

Supporting Actor
The same list as many of you guys:

Secret of Mana

Final Fantasy 2

Final Fantasy 3

Zelda: A Link to the Past

Earthbound

Good stuff.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Ahh, what a great topic! Mind you, I think you're going to see a lot of overlap, like we have thus far, but it's still a cool trip down memory lane.
My favorite SNES RPG = Final Fantasy IV (II). This happens to be MY favorite FF game ever. Which sucks, because it means I continually get let down by subsequent FF games ;). But they never came up with a better storyline with regards to HOW it was told. Predictable, but the telling is what makes it great.
Not to say the rest were bad, I love Final Fantasy VI as well, but it has the same problem I have with most of the recent FF games (save IX, which started to fix this) - too many characters, not enough characterization. There's some, but I never felt as attached to the characters as with IV.
Super Mario RPG rocks. I love that game. It's a great showcase of what Square can do when they're on the top of their game.
Chrono Trigger, probably the best Non-FF RPG on the system. Complicated, but not inaccessible. And it ties in with Chrono Cross so well on the PSX that they make an awesome gaming one-two punch.
Secret of Mana. Three-player mode, enough said. This game smokes if you have three players.
There are others, but those are my faves. Oh, and Phantasy Star IV on the Genesis, that was superfun too :).

Ugo Scarlata

Stunt Coordinator
I have fond memories of Actraiser, even though it wasn't a "pure" RPG. (But then again, console RPGs are very different from their PC counterparts.)
Actraiser combined action/adventure and RPG elements with a city-building mode -- a novel idea at the time. The soundtrack is among the best I've ever heard in a console game.
Cheers,

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Mark-

I would have to disagree with you about the FF games after 4 sucking in some respects, but then again, they also have pluses that FF6 and before didn't, so I guess it balances somewhere in the middle.

One thing I've noticed is that while the FF games are not the best ever made, they are consistently worth the purchases, which is pretty good, especially since I find them VERY worth the purchases.

Had I gotten FF2 and 3 for SNES, I would still have bought Chronicles and Anthology for PSX.

Anyway, I played some of Chrono Trigger and it was very good, along with Mario RPG and Earthbound (a friend of mine had them and he showed them to me).

chris_sharpe

Stunt Coordinator
Lufia 2 that random dungeon generator in the end of the game is totaly insane, spent months in there.

Chrono Trigger obviously.

Final Fantasy III or IV if you prefer.

Secret of Mana so fun, so awesome, excellent story.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
I remember Actraiser now. That was perhaps my third favorite SNES RPG after Zelda and Secret of Mana!! I played the above-mentioned games so often my fingers ended up with blisters. :)

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
Oh wow, this thread takes me back, which is an odd thing to say considering I'm 18 :) All I really played on my SNES was RPG's. Even to this day, I think it had the greatest assortment of high quality RPG's ever made, with Playstation in a distant second.
Chrono Trigger: 10-20 different endings, characters you truly cared about, amazing music, great graphics (for its time), and an engaging story. Could it have been any better?
Final Fantasy VI: By far my favorite FF game.
Final Fantasy IV: Another incredible FF game.
Secret of Mana
Secret of Evermore
Super Mario RPG
There has been quite a bit of overlap in this thread, but that's not surprising considering all the masterpieces Square released in the mid-90's.

Users who are viewing this thread