What's new

What are your favorite electronic companies? (1 Viewer)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I currently have several companies that I have as a favorite that I look for when I buy new products but I am always open to new companies
that have great products.

Currently some of my favorites are:

Pioneer receivers
Panasonic plasma TVs and cordless phones
Apple iMac and iPod/iPhone
Def Tech speaker line
SVS subwoofers
HP desktop computers
XBox
Dlink for their routers

What are some of your favorites and suggestions?

Parker

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I got a Panasonic boombox (CD/tape/radio) when I was a kid, and soon I got mine, my sister got a Sony boombox. The CD player on the Sony died only a year or two later, while the Panasonic is still going strong after 16 years.

Nowadays, I have a Panasonic LCD HDTV, receiver, cordless phone set, and two digital cameras. I didn't blindly buy any of them; I did research on pricing, specs, reviews, and Panasonic just turned out to be the right fit. The reliability of the boombox definitely put some extra points in their favor, but they weren't really needed. I'm thinking about getting a Blu-Ray player...Panny or Oppo. Just depends on whether or not I really want SACD and DVD-A support.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
B&W Loudspeakers
Pioneer Elite when they made RPTVs and later plasma displays
Apple iPod and WiFi products
WPC pinball machines
My SVSubwoofer has worked like a champ for years.
I've had great luck with Sony products, especially the ES line.
Can't leave out my newest toy, a Moxi 3 room bundle.

mylan

Screenwriter
Sony, Panasonic, and LG televisions ( I have an excellent 22" LG monitor )
Def Tech speakers
SVS subs
Tivo
Dell computers
Apple ipod/Iphone
Denon recievers
Logitech ( mouse and remote )

This list could get longer but I can't think of anything else ATM

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I love Pioneer plasmas, but they got out of the business. Panasonic, the then second-choice, bought the factory, and presumably all the tech, so going forward my next plasma would probably be a Panny.

Oppo BDP for me (to answer Thomas's question). Best of all, out here we can get hardware region-free mods...

Apple computer stuff, SVS sub. Sheesh we're all alike!

I had a soft spot for Sony, in particular their Wega CRTs from back then, but IMHO their current flat-panel offerings (whether plasma or LCD) don't cut the mustard. But I do have their PS3, and also still have an old VCR and LD player (not sure if either still works, though). And until the iPhone, I only ever had Nokia mobiles.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I'm a dedicated Sony man. I've never had a problem with any of their products I've owned be it a walkman or TV. I've never understood why they get bashed so much. In fact, when I've strayed and bought other brands I've wound up getting a Sony in the end for various reasons. The only exception is a JVC boombox I had for nearly 20 years and used regularly before it stopped working.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Paul,

IMO, Sony makes very good products. That said I usually do not buy them as they are overpriced for the mere priviledge of sporting the Sony name...again, IMHO. I think if Sony took a slightly more consumer friendly stance to product pricing and profit margins you might hear a good bit less of that bashing.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
TVs: Panasonic Plasmas, Sony LCDs. I work in a Sears electronics dept. and find that except for the top line XBR series Sony is fully price competitive with other makes in recent years.

Receivers: Pioneer, Yamaha

BD players: Panasonic and Sony, but still think the PS3 is the best.

PVRs--Tivo

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, so much of the products are farmed out to third-party manufacturers that it really varies on a product by product basis.

Right now:
I love the Vizio LCD at my parents' house. They may not make the best HDTVs out there, but they make the best HDTVs out there at a sub-$1000 price point IMO. Just got a Panasonic Blu-Ray player on sale at Sears, the DMP-BD60, which I love. The Panasonic Blu-Ray player replaced an excellent Sony upconverting DVD player that did miraculous things with 480i DVDs. In the 1990's, my Sharp VCR was the highest quality and easiest to use in the house, and today it's still the only one still going strong. Have a 27-inch Toshiba CRT that's still a great little TV.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
In general, if Apple makes it I have or want one. =)

TVs: Sony, and Samsung for LCD panels (Panny and Sharp are ok too!), Panasonic for Plasma, Panasonic and Sony for projectors.
Receivers: Denon, Onkyo and Pioneer
BluRay: If you arent buying a PS3 you are crazy =) So sony.
Speakers: I use Paradigm but its been 12+ years since I upgraded so not sure today! I'd love an SVS bass but I have no reason to upgrade.
Game boxes: PC, Mac Pro, PS3, Xbox360. Wii lags faaaar behind but it's still connected.
Broadband: FIOS is available .333 miles from my home but not on my street, I will get it the day it is lit. Comcast is OK for bits but their TV is compressed and overpriced.
In super-general, if its got pixels or bits I'm all for it.

Sam

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Receiver: Onkyo
DVD player: Sony (and planning to get one of Sony's new SACD capable Blu-ray players)
Speakers: NHT, Energy, and Boston Acoustics
TV: Sony
Portable CD player: Sony

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks