What's new

What are YOUR favorite DVD-A discs? (1 Viewer)

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Pick your top 3. Mine are...

1) Toy Matinee - Toy Matinee This band, fronted by the late Kevin Gilbert, put out 1 self titled album in the late 80s. The multichannel remix is far above average and the production quality is absolutely stunning. A must buy for any KG fan, prog fan or music fan in general. It's definitely something anyone can appreciate.

2) Blue Man Group - Audio This album was specifically recorded, mixed and mastered for MLP 5.1 surround sound. Talk about dynamics! Holy Cow, this album contains some of the coolest sounds ever recorded by unconventional instruments. PVC piping anyone?

3) Eric Johnson - Ah Via Musicom A modern day musical genius. Some say he's a king of the guitar tone, while others simply enjoy is worldy melodies and harmonic gracefulness. His guitar truly sings in this 5.1 mix.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Grateful Dead - American Beauty and Workingman's Dead
Neil Young - Harvest
Yes - Fragile
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Frank Sinatra - Sinatra at the Sand
Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Frank Zappa - Halloween

Doug_B

Screenwriter
From a compositional, innovative perspective, I very much enjoy Bela Fleck's Tales from the Acoustic Planet II. No 2 channel mix (even though packaging says so), but the surround mix makes you feel like you're sitting with these guys.

Doug

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
In no particular order:

Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band Swingin' for the Fences Silverline (wow!)

Blue Man Group Audio Virgin

The Beach Boys Pet Sounds Capitol/EMI

Donald Fagen The Nightfly Warner

Zephyr Voices Unbound AIX

There are others, these are some of the great ones off the top of my head.

Regards,

Stu Rosen

Second Unit
Bela Fleck's Tales from the Acoustic Planet Vol. II
B.B. King & Eric Clapton -- Riding With the King
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

Jeffrey Wiffen

Stunt Coordinator
1) Bucky Pizzarelli - Swing Live (Chesky)

2) Emmylou Harris - Producer's Cut (Warner)

3) R.E.M. - Automatic For the People (Warner)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
#1 Nightfly-Donald Fagen, perfect; #2 Welcome to My Nightmare-Alice Cooper, spooky; #3 Days of Future Past (DTS)-Moody Blues, 35 years and counting ahead of it's time; Buying boo boo's? Paul McCartney's Venus and Mars. Not as good as I remembered. The Police-Classics. They screwed up half of it. My wish list. A Trick of the Tail-Genesis, they just HAVE to; Eye in the Sky- Alan Parsons Project, would be awesome! Anything else by "Yes". Favorite live concerts in DD-DTS? Steely Dan-Two Against Nature, Funky and fun; Three Dog Nite-Live in Tennessee, what a surprise! Carole King-In Concert, not really that good, I just respect all she has accomplished. I know these are all old-timers, but so am I! Gene

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Man, I haven't bought or listened to DVD-A in ages.

Fave classical:
Beethoven's 6th Symphony / Resphigi- Pines of Rome, from AIX

Fave rock:
Queen- A Night at the Opera

Jesper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jesper Nielsen
I have many, few listed

Queen : The Game
Aaron Neville : Devotion
Motorhead : Ace Of Spades
Fleetwood Mac : Rumours
America : Homecomming
The Doors : L. A. Woman
Deep Purple : Machine Head
R.E.M. : Automatic For the People
etc..... :D

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band Swingin' for the Fences Silverline (wow!)
Roger that! I have been promoting this DVD-A everywhere I can. I am a hard rock kind of guy, but the playing and the sonics on this one are as good as it gets in my rig.

On a side note, have you heard the new BFB DVD-A?

I think its called XXL. I got am e-mail from Silverline saying it went on sale on Tuesday. I think this will be a blind purchase given how much I like SFtF.

BGL

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Brian,

No, I dont have XXL -- I was in the store and didn't find it the other day.

I'll probably have to mail order it from one of the online sites :frowning:

Regards,

Peter Mazur

Second Unit

I don't even have a DVD-A player but anyone who know's about Kevin Gilbert's music gets an automatic :emoji_thumbsup: from me.

R.I.P. Kevin

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Peter M, you have a DVD player and surround receiver right? You can listen to the DTS 5.1 version of the Toy Matinee album. It sounds great!

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
My current favorites are as follows:

Beach Boys Pet Sounds
Frank Sinatra Sinatra at the Sands
Steely Dan Everything Must Go
Neil Young Harvest (also can't for the five other albums he is bringing to DVD-A next month)

J

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I only have 1 DVD-A "The Coors" So I have to say it's my favorite :D

I only have the one, mainly because I don't like anything they are releasing on them (No offense to those here). I just wish there was a better selection in DVD-A's. I'd love to have more Soundtracks available. I LOVE my Titanic DTS CD, I just don't know why they don't put out more soundtracks on DVD-A - Gladiator, Apollo 13, Titanic, Braveheart, etc. these would all be great! :emoji_thumbsup:

Again, no offense, but I am always mystified at the selections they use to represent these high end audio media. :confused: I remember when DTS-CD's were popular and all I saw was Boys-II-Men and Olivia Newton John :eek:. That was what they came up with to represent DTS-CD's?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks